Jaguars to hire Trent Baalke as GM

.Buzz

11 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

I still can’t believe Eric has sources. I played baseball/went to high school with him.

As for Baalke, all I can say is meh. I don’t think he will have much power with Urban in the fold.

Yeah, meh is fitting.

Had some decent drafts in SF. Was part of the org when they became a legit contender.

Like I saidz very reminiscent of Hurney/Rhule last year. Paired up with a GM that had a ton of experience to learn the ins and outs while he gets his feet under him, reevaluate next year. 

Trent Baalke is a glorified scout who doesnt understand value, or have any clue what good offensive weapons look like. He is infamous for being a big reason why Jim Harbaugh was ran out of town. 

Jim Harbaugh wanted to trade the farm to move up for Odell. Baalke decided not to and ended up drafting AJ Jenkins in the first, who literally never had a catch for us in his entire career. We went to the superbowl that year and were one play away from winning it, a WR who did literally anything could have been the difference. Instead we basically whiffed on the entire draft. Everyone except Joe Looney was out of the league within 2 years. 

There was a report that came out after the draft about how Baalke wrote AJ jenkins name down on a piece of paper and put it in an envelope and gave it to a reporter and told him not to open it until after the draft. The reporter was amazed at how this GM could have possibly known that this late 2nd round WR prospect would be drafted in the first. Baalke must be a wizard to reach on his guy like that!!

His only good draft was 2010, when the draft board was set by Scott McCloughan. Scotty got fired a few weeks before the draft because he was an alcoholic. Baalke was interim GM for a year, worked closely with ownership to gain their trust, said all of the right things to help woo a high profile college coach who wasnt used to dealing with a GM (jim harbaugh) and convince him that baalke knew wtf he was doing. I see so many parallels there its actually nuts 

Niners had the potential to be a perennial winner, super deep roster without major holes, and a boat load of draft picks (which is why harbaugh wanted to get Odell, he was the missing piece and we could afford to move up). So what does this guy do? He drafts injured players year after year to 'stash' them, when none of them ever get healthy or contribute. The healthy players he would draft would all be reaches. So instead of bolstering the depth, it slowly degraded to the point we had to hard reset the whole thing like 3 years later. 

Trent baalke is basically a poor mans version of Dave Gettleman. Good scout, has an eye for talent in certain positions (secondary), but is archaic in his approach and has no understanding of draft value. He will reach on defensive players, especially in the secondary.  

To be fair, a few of his picks have worked out, but it took a few years and a few coaching changes to get to that point. He drafted Trent Brown in the 7th round. Trent Brown wasnt a great T until it was a contract year and scarn in NE coached him up, but hes now basically the best RT in the league when he actually plays. He drafted Jimmy ward and Jaquiski tartt. Both guys are good players but have only lived up to their draft position (1st and 2nd round pick respectively) in 2019 basically. Ward was drafted in 2014 and tartt was drafted in 2013 I think. So while they are really good players, they werent who we needed at the time

Im not even talking about how little responsibility and accountability he took for being a prime reason why we ran harbaugh out of town. It was joke how he handled the media when they asked him hard questions. 

As good of a hire Meyer was, is as bad of a hire Baalke is

32 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Had some decent drafts in SF. Was part of the org when they became a legit contender.

Wrong. Baalke was not a reason we became contenders. Scott McCloughan was the architect of the talent we had during that run. Up until we hired harbaugh, we had THE WORST coaching staff in the league by far. Mike nolan and Mike Singletary were abysmal. So baalke was just an area scout that rose too high and ended up being a catalyst to our destruction

19 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

This is exactly what happened in SF. He schmoozed ownership before we hired a hotshot college coach and convinced them that HE was the only guy that can make this whole thing work. The dude knows how to sell himself, that is for sure

• Like 1

Just now, N4L said:

Trent Baalke is a glorified scout who doesnt understand value, or have any clue what good offensive weapons look like. He is infamous for being a big reason why Jim Harbaugh was ran out of town. 

Jim Harbaugh wanted to trade the farm to move up for Odell. Baalke decided not to and ended up drafting AJ Jenkins in the first, who literally never had a catch for us in his entire career. We went to the superbowl that year and were one play away from winning it, a WR who did literally anything could have been the difference. Instead we basically whiffed on the entire draft. Everyone except Joe Looney was out of the league within 2 years. 

There was a report that came out after the draft about how Baalke wrote AJ jenkins name down on a piece of paper and put it in an envelope and gave it to a reporter and told him not to open it until after the draft. The reporter was amazed at how this GM could have possibly known that this late 2nd round WR prospect would be drafted in the first. Baalke must be a wizard to reach on his guy like that!!

His only good draft was 2010, when the draft board was set by Scott McCloughan. Scotty got fired a few weeks before the draft because he was an alcoholic. Baalke was interim GM for a year, worked closely with ownership to gain their trust, said all of the right things to help woo a high profile college coach who wasnt used to dealing with a GM (jim harbaugh) and convince him that baalke knew wtf he was doing. I see so many parallels there its actually nuts 

Niners had the potential to be a perennial winner, super deep roster without major holes, and a boat load of draft picks (which is why harbaugh wanted to get Odell, he was the missing piece and we could afford to move up). So what does this guy do? He drafts injured players year after year to 'stash' them, when none of them ever get healthy or contribute. The healthy players he would draft would all be reaches. So instead of bolstering the depth, it slowly degraded to the point we had to hard reset the whole thing like 3 years later. 

Trent baalke is basically a poor mans version of Dave Gettleman. Good scout, has an eye for talent in certain positions (secondary), but is archaic in his approach and has no understanding of draft value. He will reach on defensive players, especially in the secondary.  

To be fair, a few of his picks have worked out, but it took a few years and a few coaching changes to get to that point. He drafted Trent Brown in the 7th round. Trent Brown wasnt a great T until it was a contract year and scarn in NE coached him up, but hes now basically the best RT in the league when he actually plays. He drafted Jimmy ward and Jaquiski tartt. Both guys are good players but have only lived up to their draft position (1st and 2nd round pick respectively) in 2019 basically. Ward was drafted in 2014 and tartt was drafted in 2013 I think. So while they are really good players, they werent who we needed at the time

Im not even talking about how little responsibility and accountability he took for being a prime reason why we ran harbaugh out of town. It was joke how he handled the media when they asked him hard questions. 

As good of a hire Meyer was, is as bad of a hire Baalke is

Wrong. Baalke was not a reason we became contenders. Scott McCloughan was the architect of the talent we had during that run. Up until we hired harbaugh, we had THE WORST coaching staff in the league by far. Mike nolan and Mike Singletary were abysmal. So baalke was just an area scout that rose too high and ended up being a catalyst to our destruction

This is exactly what happened in SF. He schmoozed ownership before we hired a hotshot college coach and convinced them that HE was the only guy that can make this whole thing work. The dude knows how to sell himself, that is for sure

I never said he was the reason, but he was a scout dating back to 2005. He was part of the FO leading up to that run. Which is all I was saying, he saw how it got constructed.

Just now, N4L said:

and im sure that Baalke says hes learned/changed. Even if that is true, is he a good GM??? Absolutely not. 

I never said he was a good GM. I said he was largely "fine" and the scope was worse because of his HC hires and blow ups with past HCs. I'm sure Urban Meyer of all people did a little research and is well aware.

Baalke’s blow up with Harbaugh is definitely something to give major pause, even if you think he’s just going to be a glorified scout. He pulled a power trip and got Harbough out of there because he didn’t like Harbaugh having control over the team in the same way that Urban is about to.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I never said he was the reason, but he was a scout dating back to 2005. He was part of the FO leading up to that run. Which is all I was saying, he saw how it got constructed.

Do you know who Scott McCloughan is? honest question. The guy is one of the best talent evaluators in the world. Built SF into a winner and built Washington into a winner. Started his own consulting firm because his personal issues mean he wont get another GM job. He was a big reason the browns had a good draft a couple years ago. 

He was the architect of the niners, not baalke. Baalkes subsequent drafts prove this. 

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I never said he was a good GM. I said he was largely "fine" and the scope was worse because of his HC hires and blow ups with past HCs. I'm sure Urban Meyer of all people did a little research and is well aware.

Ok, so this is an indictment on Meyer then? Or is it Khans fault?

You cant just brush past the issues he has because they know about it and decided to move forward anyway. I get that they can pull the plug at any moment if baalke steps out of line, but he already has khans ear sooo....

26 minutes ago, N4L said:

Do you know who Scott McCloughan is? honest question. The guy is one of the best talent evaluators in the world. Built SF into a winner and built Washington into a winner. Started his own consulting firm because his personal issues mean he wont get another GM job. He was a big reason the browns had a good draft a couple years ago. 

He was the architect of the niners, not baalke. Baalkes subsequent drafts prove this. 

Ok, so this is an indictment on Meyer then? Or is it Khans fault?

You cant just brush past the issues he has because they know about it and decided to move forward anyway. I get that they can pull the plug at any moment if baalke steps out of line, but he already has khans ear sooo....

Man, guess we're screwed then. We'll see what happens in another 10 years from now. Hopefully we get the GM hire right then. 

*shrug*

• Like 1

I just don’t know how you have the hottest opening in years and come away just hiring from within.

I get that with Meyer, you’re not going to get the biggest name as that guy is going to want a place where the job is his, but hiring a guy who destroyed another team because he couldn’t get along with a big ego coach seems like the worst possible thing to do when you have a big ego coach..

5 minutes ago, pwny said:

I just don’t know how you have the hottest opening in years and come away just hiring from within.

I get that with Meyer, you’re not going to get the biggest name as that guy is going to want a place where the job is his, but hiring a guy who destroyed another team because he couldn’t get along with a big ego coach seems like the worst possible thing to do when you have a big ego coach..

As I said, with wanting a veteran GM, who would've been hot though?

I would've preferred Ireland (quite the history himself), Jerry Reese (suspect drafting though), Rick Smith, and a couple others with former GM experience but there all going to have their "warts" so to speak as their former GMs for a reason. 

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

As I said, with wanting a veteran GM, who would've been hot though?

I would've preferred Ireland (quite the history himself), Jerry Reese (suspect drafting though), Rick Smith, and a couple others with former GM experience but there all going to have past issues as their former GMs for a reason. 

As much as I dislike Ray Farmer as an option, I’d have even taken him over Baalke. 

@N4L wasn’t it widely believed that Baalke was the anonymous source that was feeding info trying to cause a rift between Harbaugh and ownership?

9 minutes ago, pwny said:

As much as I dislike Ray Farmer as an option, I’d have even taken him over Baalke. 

@N4L wasn’t it widely believed that Baalke was the anonymous source that was feeding info trying to cause a rift between Harbaugh and ownership?

Eh, yeah I would've preferred Baalke myself.