The English Revolution

Brit Pack

56 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I don't understand why we spent significant dollars in FA on a WR who is WR#5 on the depth chart.

First...he wouldn't come here to be WR#5.  Second, and most obviously is the overspend at the WR position for an end of roster WR.

I think that money can and should be used elsewhere.  Like corner.

That get is just a luxury and more just a personal bias, as I have always rooted for JR . The part where I partially justify it is that we have had a history of injured WRs and also if we can get him now on a long deal we might not be as worried about tying up Lazard or MVS in the future. I feel MVS will over play his hand in getting a contract here. 

One issue I had with the FA corner market was that it sucked. You got guys like Rhodes, Darby and Griffin who are interesting and okay/good but who are probably going to get a lot of coin, or more than what we have spare.  I think the best option is, if it is a team friendly deal, is getting Kevin King back when comparing him to the talent that is available in FA. Or I feel the best route here is go for the draft and hope to hit on another Jaire in the 1st...

3 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

That get is just a luxury and more just a personal bias, as I have always rooted for JR . The part where I partially justify it is that we have had a history of injured WRs and also if we can get him now on a long deal we might not be as worried about tying up Lazard or MVS in the future. I feel MVS will over play his hand in getting a contract here. 

One issue I had with the FA corner market was that it sucked. You got guys like Rhodes, Darby and Griffin who are interesting and okay/good but who are probably going to get a lot of coin, or more than what we have spare.  I think the best option is, if it is a team friendly deal, is getting Kevin King back when comparing him to the talent that is available in FA. Or I feel the best route here is go for the draft and hope to hit on another Jaire in the 1st...

So it's Reynolds love.  I get it.  Don't agree with it, but get it.

Here is my issue....if the off season is "going to be a bloodbath", you simply do not overspend on an end of the roster WR.  It is a luxury.  And this off-season should allow for very few luxuries.  

I'd guess that Wagner is a much better luxury and already under contract.

I too am a fan of Reynolds.  But if we sign a WR, it should be for one who will be on the field.  Not sure Reynolds is beating out Lazzard.  And he isn't seeing reps over MVS.  It's just a bad spend of money in a year when money will be tight.

Reading this, you have to wonder if we are better off forgetting 2021, let guys go and see how it goes.

Extending Rodgers, Adams and Z is very much a win-now move.  You take 30m off this year's cap kicking it down the road is going to be brutal for the cap in future years. You will have huge cap hits on ageing veterans and probably taking any possibility of moving with Love in the next few years off the table.

Not sure what the answer is.  This plan seems to be bad for 2021 and bad for future years as well so its Lose-Lose. 

43 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

Reading this, you have to wonder if we are better off forgetting 2021, let guys go and see how it goes.

Extending Rodgers, Adams and Z is very much a win-now move.  You take 30m off this year's cap kicking it down the road is going to be brutal for the cap in future years. You will have huge cap hits on ageing veterans and probably taking any possibility of moving with Love in the next few years off the table.

Not sure what the answer is.  This plan seems to be bad for 2021 and bad for future years as well so its Lose-Lose. 

It is a very good point. Do we make the cuts and accept that 2021 is no way close to being as good as the year before.  Trouble is cutting Lowry, Wagner and P.Smith won't be enough. We'll have to gut the roster more. I believe Gutey did say in his presser that they would need to do restructures to kick the can down the road to get under the cap this year. 

1 hour ago, Brit Pack said:

Here is my issue....if the off season is "going to be a bloodbath", you simply do not overspend on an end of the roster WR.  It is a luxury.  And this off-season should allow for very few luxuries.  I'd say that if you are to enter free agency 

I too am a fan of Reynolds.  But if we sign a WR, it should be for one who will be on the field.  Not sure Reynolds is beating out Lazzard.  And he isn't seeing reps over MVS.  It's just a bad spend of money in a year when money will be tight.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Here is my issue....if the off season is "going to be a bloodbath", you simply do not overspend on an end of the roster WR.  It is a luxury.  And this off-season should allow for very few luxuries.  I'd say that if you are to enter free agency 

Agreed. You assume your "base" offensive skill players are Tonyan, Adams, Lazard, MVS, and Dillion. You still need a ton of depth in the WR room, but I'd opt for draft picks and UDFAs to try and save some money at this point. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pgwingman said:

Agreed. You assume your "base" offensive skill players are Tonyan, Adams, Lazard, MVS, and Dillion. You still need a ton of depth in the WR room, but I'd opt for draft picks and UDFAs to try and save some money at this point. 

Yup.  I want a quick WR that can cross the field fast.  Not a build up guy like MVS.  But a quick twitch guy like Curtis Samuel.

But, the point is still there.  That is a luxury.  Better to draft one that try to get one in free agency this year.  

If we do enter free agency, we need to look at corner(s), back up running backs and maybe an IDL.  Though I didn't see a whole ton in IDL out there in free agency.  But there are a few (Tomlinson, Harris, Roberson-Harris, Williams).