2021 Cardinals Off-season

HoboRocket

On 3/19/2021 at 6:40 PM, 11sanchez11 said:

We have 1 CB...

I think we have Murphy and Alford both under contract. So two. Alford hasn't played in a couple years, but was reportedly the best corner in camp both years before his freak injuries put him out for the season. Really a projection, but yeah, we badly need CB. Disappointed that we didn't address the position in an off-season that had several great options at the position.

8 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Pugh took a pay cut, I think creating about 4 million more in cap space

Yep! Per Pugh:

"To clarify I restructured my contract and took a pay cut to stay with the @AZCardinals. I love Arizona and want to finish my career here. Now let's go win a ring." 

https://twitter.com/JustinPugh/status/1374425764284620802?s=20

I feel like we have a couple more cuts/trades/restructures on the way. Top candidates for restructures are Jordan Phillips, Devon Kennard, DJ Humphries, and Chandler Jones. Maybe Maxx Williams is a cut candidate?

I could see us restructuring and extending Humphries to lower the hit this year and keep him a bit longer.

Same for Phillips? I know he wasn't great, but dang, that contract really stands out.

We could save some money by moving Kennard since he's the fourth OLB, but still a versatile player. Just coming off a down year and buried in the depth chart, not really worth that 8 million hit.

Maxx Williams is important, but if the team feels like it can replace him via the draft or signing a blocking TE via late free agency, then it's worth it to save a few million if that's what'll give us the space for a corner. He's just an injury-prone blocking TE. 

As for Chandler Jones, he has a 20 million hit. That's pretty big for someone in their 30s coming off an injured year... Maybe they just restructure to spread the hit?

Kennard would be tops my list to restructure. But I’m not too worried about our current situation. We need to add a running back and probably two corners. Say we add a Casey Hayward or Malcolm Butler on a one year prove it deal and draft someone round one and I feel pretty good about the corner position given our front 7. 

Then RB wise just pick up say a Tevin Coleman, Matt Brieda, type who can handle the minority of touches in the backfield and I feel good there too. 

We’re at the point where patience is key because we need two plug and play guys, then some depth.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2021 at 10:30 AM, LuckyNumber11 said:

Kennard would be tops my list to restructure. But I’m not too worried about our current situation. We need to add a running back and probably two corners. Say we add a Casey Hayward or Malcolm Butler on a one year prove it deal and draft someone round one and I feel pretty good about the corner position given our front 7. 

Then RB wise just pick up say a Tevin Coleman, Matt Brieda, type who can handle the minority of touches in the backfield and I feel good there too. 

We’re at the point where patience is key because we need two plug and play guys, then some depth.

Yeah, this is the part where Keim exells imo. We've seen him do this time after time, being patient and getting great play/production from the bargain guys later in the off-season. It helps to compensate for all of his bad early FA deals that he hands out. Or his bad draft picks. 

Hosting Quinton Dunbar soon. Signing him would make me feel pretty dang good about the CB room actually cause you can’t rely on Alford. And giving more help to Murphy as the 2/3 CB is always a good thing. Plus we wouldn’t feel pressed to draft a corner anymore, opens the door for the draft being for luxury/depth pieces as it should be. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LuckyNumber11 said:

Colt McCoy is probably better than Streveler I’d assume

Feels like a toss-up to me. I mean, Streveler has more upside, and while he didn't light it up, he also wasn't that bad for someone pinch-hitting off the bench. Also more athletic than McCoy. McCoy is injury-prone, if I remember correctly. 

9 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

Feels like a toss-up to me. I mean, Streveler has more upside, and while he didn't light it up, he also wasn't that bad for someone pinch-hitting off the bench. Also more athletic than McCoy. McCoy is injury-prone, if I remember correctly. 

I’ll be honest I think Streveler is awful and feel much more comfortable with Colt McCoy as our backup. I was being modest. McCoy can game manage to a win and Streveler can’t hit the broad side of a barn. Granted I also would prefer Brett Huntley over both so what do I know 

• Like 1