Alternative Super Bowls - who wins these matchups?

notthatbluestuff

36 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I have to disagree about the possible Packers-Patriots matchups.  I think the 2014 Packers would have defeated the Patriots.  They had already beaten the Patriots that season, and it took probably the most improbable series of events to eliminate them that season. We had the MVP, two pro-bowl WRs, plenty of pass rush, Eddie Lacy before the Chinese Buffet, and HaHa Clinton Dix before he figured out that he can get credit for a tackle if he touches the guy with the ball while someone else takes him down.

However, in 2007, that Patriots team rolls the Packers.  While McCarthy seemed to reel Favre's recklessness in a bit, that Patriots team scored a lot, and sooner or later risky Brett Favre would come out to play.  He threw 2 INTs trying to force something to happen against the Giants, and did so in losses to the Cowboys and both Bears games.  The game is probably close until about the end of the half or early third.  Pats go up 2 scores, Favre presses, Pats up 3 scores.  Game is effectively over with 3 or 4 minutes in the 3rd.  Packers score one more time to make it look closer than it really was.  Patriots are the first 19-0 team.

Yeah I just disagree. The Patriots lost a close game at Lambeau but on a neutral site that Pats team was straight up better. They had Brady, prime Gronk, prime Edelman, Amendola playing out of his mind in those playoffs, at stacked offensive line, and then on defense they had Revis in an all Pro year, prime McCourty, prime Chung, prime Hightower, prime Jones, prime Collins and prime Ninkovitch. Then they had Blount and Vereen in the run game. They were arguably the most stacked Patriots Super Bowl team. They were ripping through really good teams during a hell stretch that season and were battle tested after the Ravens game. 

07 everyone knows they were undefeated but the Patriots really slowed down in the latter half/quarter of the year and were having nailbiters with mediocre Ravens and Eagles teams and also almost lost to the Giants. The Packers in 07 probably were the best team at that point in the season that wasn't the Patriots so it was close to a toss up but they were the biggest threat overall. 

On 3/7/2021 at 1:40 PM, notthatbluestuff said:

In another reality, these matchups could've taken place. Who would've won?

1998 - Minnesota Vikings vs Denver Broncos

2001 - Pittsburgh Steelers vs St. Louis Rams

2002 - Philadelphia Eagles vs Oakland Raiders

2007 - New England Patriots vs Green Bay Packers

2009 - Indianapolis Colts vs Minnesota Vikings

2010 - Green Bay Packers vs New York Jets

2012 - Atlanta Falcons vs Baltimore Ravens

2014 - Green Bay Packers vs New England Patriots

2015 - New England Patriots vs Carolina Panthers

2018 - New Orleans Saints vs Kansas City Chiefs

1998- Vikings

2001- Steelers

2002-Eagles

2007- It pains me to say this, but NE

2009- Colts

2010-Packers

2012- Falcons, for the primary reason of the receiving corp was loaded and could probably beat the Ravens D.

2014- Packers

2015- Patriots

2018- Kansas City

The 2001 Steelers/Rams game would have been amazing for early teen MOSteelers56. Those were my two favorite teams. It would have certainly been a stylistic clash. The Rams defense would have struggled to contain the Bus. The Steelers defense would have been stretched out in a way that was not seen at that point. I think the Steelers D could have gotten to Warner. I forgot how many passes they threw from under center. If the GSOT would have been a shotgun team, I would agree with the sentiment that the Rams would have demolished the Steelers. Since they were under center a lot, I think the defense could have gotten to him. I think the Rams would have won, but I don't think it's a blowout. Kordell would have been overmatched by Warner, but I do give the coaching edge to Cowher. Martz might have gotten Warner killed with those seemingly unending dropbacks. His offense was predicated on 27 step drops and Warner might have gotten pummeled against the blitz happy Steelers. Faulk would have probably killed them on short dump offs, but I don't think Holt and Bruce each put up massive numbers.