2017-2018 NBA GDT: Off the court discussions

11sanchez11

NBA Champions  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who's The Favorite to Win it All This Year?

• Warriors
    • Cavaliers
    • Someone Else, Somehow?

Just now, jrry32 said:

I don't think you know what that means. I directly responded to his question with an analogy.

Incredible.

What's the relevance of your analogy?

I'll lay this one out for you.

Your initial issue was that we said Lowe is smarter than KD when it comes to basketball.

With that post, it appears your issue is now with him saying "this isn't football" because that's the only way your analogy is relevant to the discussion.

So you took the goalposts from where they originally started (KD > Lowe) and now moved them to make it harder to prove you wrong (Basketball is just as hard as football to master).

10 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

Jason Kidd is a Hall of Famer and "knows the game of basketball" but I'd take Lowe 1000x over him to run my team. Why? Because one of them is an ignorant know it all and the other actually understands the game and trends. Just because someone plays a sport at a high level doesn't mean they know more.

Who you trust to build your team? Michael Jordan or Gregg Popovich? 

Running a team, coaching a team, and playing are all different things. Lowe is likely better than Durant for running a team. But he doesn't come close to Durant in knowledge of the game as it pertains to playing it. And odds are that Lowe has no ability to coach a team.

Your second question is not an analogous comparison. Pop spent 20+ years coaching the game at the college and pro level before the Spurs hired him as a HC. Pop has spent 20+ years coaching for the Spurs. Nobody doubts his basketball knowledge. Pop and Zach Lowe aren't remotely comparable.

20 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

You can guarantee me $100 million. It doesn't mean it holds any water.

I'm sure Lowe could talk circles around KD about "certain things." I'm sure KD could talk circles around Lowe about "certain things" pertaining to actually playing pro basketball. Lowe writes for a living. KD plays the game for a living. You're nuts if you think KD isn't "studying" the game he plays.

last thing, KD's point was that he didn't think some analysts watched the games and they relied on stats too much for their opinions. Not that you couldn't understand basketball from just watching it. Because that would be a ridiculous argument to make.

2 minutes ago, utley4568 said:

Incredible.

What's the relevance of your analogy?

I'll lay this one out for you.

Your initial issue was that we said Lowe is smarter than KD when it comes to basketball.

With that post, it appears your issue is now with him saying "this isn't football" because that's the only way your analogy is relevant to the discussion.

So you took the goalposts from where they originally started (KD > Lowe) and now moved them to make it harder to prove you wrong (Basketball is just as hard as football to master).

Do you seriously not understand the relevance of my analogy? Sanchez's contention throughout this debate is that football, unlike basketball, is complex enough where reporters don't know anything when compared to the top players. That's been his implication ("This isn't football."). He brought up three coaches and pointed out that they are great coaches despite not having played in the NBA or for top D-I teams. I brought up three NFL coaches who are great coaches despite not having playing in the NFL or for top D-I teams. How do you not see the point?

If the NFL is complex and that's true about those coaches, Sanchez's point about the playing experience of those NBA coaches doesn't have merit (i.e., it doesn't successfully argue that the game is simple because the coaches lack high-level playing experience). It's not moving the goal-posts at all. It's directly addressing his argument.

I'm certainly not arguing that basketball is just as hard as football to master. That's not even relevant to this discussion.

1 minute ago, 11sanchez11 said:

last thing, KD's point was that he didn't think some analysts watched the games and they relied on stats too much for their opinions. Not that you couldn't understand basketball from just watching it. Because that would be a ridiculous argument to make.

He's probably right about some and not right about others. 

8 minutes ago, utley4568 said:

Also, this isn't where the discussion started. If I acted like it was, THAT would be moving the goal-posts. But if you actually believe that, wow.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

Do you seriously not understand the relevance of my analogy? Sanchez's contention throughout this debate is that football, unlike basketball, is complex enough where reporters don't know anything when compared to the top players. That's been his implication ("This isn't football."). He brought up three coaches and pointed out that they are great coaches despite not having played in the NBA or for top D-I teams. I brought up three NFL coaches who are great coaches despite not having playing in the NFL or for top D-I teams. How do you not see the point?

If the NFL is complex and that's true about those coaches, Sanchez's point about the playing experience of those NBA coaches doesn't have merit (i.e., it doesn't successfully argue that the game is simple because the coaches lack high-level playing experience). It's not moving the goal-posts at all. It's directly addressing his argument.

I'm certainly not arguing that basketball is just as hard as football to master. That's not even relevant to this discussion.

He said it as a footnote to his overall point about Lowe and you took it and ran with it as if it was his entire point.

Also, this isn't where the discussion started. If I acted like it was, THAT would be moving the goal-posts. But if you actually believe that, wow.

Go back and find where the discussion started. I'll wait.

4 minutes ago, utley4568 said:

He said it as a footnote to his overall point about Lowe and you took it and ran with it as if it was his entire point.

It is literally the entirety of the post I responded to with my post that you claimed was moving the goal-posts. You're way off the mark again.

It is literally the entirety of the post I responded to with my post that you claimed was moving the goal-posts. You're way off the mark again.

If you want to keep being stupid, that's on you. This is why I said it was a waste of time. I'm done here.

14 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Running a team, coaching a team, and playing are all different things. Lowe is likely better than Durant for running a team. But he doesn't come close to Durant in knowledge of the game as it pertains to playing it. And odds are that Lowe has no ability to coach a team.

Your second question is not an analogous comparison. Pop spent 20+ years coaching the game at the college and pro level before the Spurs hired him as a HC. Pop has spent 20+ years coaching for the Spurs. Nobody doubts his basketball knowledge. Pop and Zach Lowe aren't remotely comparable.

I'm not comparing Pop and Lowe and you know that. I'm comparing someone who didn't play the game at a high level to someone who did. Knowledge isn't based on talent, homie.

Just now, utley4568 said:

If you want to keep being stupid, that's on you. This is why I said it was a waste of time. I'm done here.

His post:

28 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Ok explain to me how the three best coaches (Brad Stevens, Greg Popovich, and Eric Spoelstra) have a combined zero NBA playing experience, or even high level D1 experience? It certainly would be blasphemous to say they don't know basketball.

My response:

23 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Where did Bill Belichick, Mike Tomlin, and Sean McVay play football? How much NFL playing experience did they have?

Hell, Sanchez, you could probably be a brilliant basketball mind if you worked for years as an assistant coach under brilliant head coaches at the college and pro level. Nobody is saying you can't be. You have to put in the work and have people to mentor you.

You made yourself look the fool because you didn't bother to verify things before you made wildly inaccurate claims. It's for the best that you're done here.

Archived