Darkest of dark Horses

RSkinGM

I actually was on this guy back when he was a draft prospect. He tore up the combine, and once you get to the late rounds, extreme athletic ability is a nice proxy for “high ceiling.” You just don’t see guys his size (226 pounds at the time) throwing down 3-cone scores in the 6.5 range or short shuttles in the 4.0 range. It speaks to a remarkable amount of change of direction ability in a big body, and he had decent (4.59 40) speed to go with it. Chargers ended up taking him in the 6th, obviously it didn’t work out.

I like the idea of trying to shift him over to TE. There’s a role for a guy like him, basically the role Dan Arnold has played for the Cardinals the past couple years — big body, major seam threat, too fast and quick for many LBs and box safeties. He was actually a better athlete than Arnold, by the combine numbers at least, so maybe there could be something there.

• Like 3

Can Dylan Cantrell improve Washington’s tight end corps?

https://www.hogshaven.com/2021/3/24/22347555/can-dylan-cantrell-improve-washingtons-tight-end-corps

“Dylan Cantrell was a fairly prolific receiver in Texas Tech’s “Air Raid” offense in college, wracking up nearly 1,500 yards and 15 TDs in his final two years in school, but it appears - though he was drafted by the Chargers in 2016 - he was too slow to make it as a wide receiver in the pros. After spending time with the Chargers, he did stints with the Cardinals and Patriots, but couldn’t stick in either location.

In what appears to be an emerging pattern (see also: Logan Thomas & Tyrone Swoopes), Cantrell was signed to Washington’s practice squad with the plan being to transform him into a tight end. Cantrell’s 40 speed of 4.44 would have made him the fastest tight end in last year’s Combine. His 3-cone (6.56) and shuttle (4.03) would have been the fastest speeds by a mile. Alternatively, he would have been 14 lbs lighter than the lightest TE there, and his height would have put him at the bottom of the group.

Can Cantrell put on 5-10 lbs and make it as a “move” tight end in the NFL? Even as a wide receiver, he was noted for his blocking prowess. We’ll have to see if Pete Hoener can work his magic again in 2021, and salvage the career of another incredibly athletic talent caught playing out of position. For me, I watch the film below and see simply too much talent for this guy not to have a shot at the TE2 or TE3 position on this roster. I can’t wait to see Fitzy throwing him some jump balls.”

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Can Dylan Cantrell improve Washington’s tight end corps?

https://www.hogshaven.com/2021/3/24/22347555/can-dylan-cantrell-improve-washingtons-tight-end-corps

“Dylan Cantrell was a fairly prolific receiver in Texas Tech’s “Air Raid” offense in college, wracking up nearly 1,500 yards and 15 TDs in his final two years in school, but it appears - though he was drafted by the Chargers in 2016 - he was too slow to make it as a wide receiver in the pros. After spending time with the Chargers, he did stints with the Cardinals and Patriots, but couldn’t stick in either location.

In what appears to be an emerging pattern (see also: Logan Thomas & Tyrone Swoopes), Cantrell was signed to Washington’s practice squad with the plan being to transform him into a tight end. Cantrell’s 40 speed of 4.44 would have made him the fastest tight end in last year’s Combine. His 3-cone (6.56) and shuttle (4.03) would have been the fastest speeds by a mile. Alternatively, he would have been 14 lbs lighter than the lightest TE there, and his height would have put him at the bottom of the group.

Can Cantrell put on 5-10 lbs and make it as a “move” tight end in the NFL? Even as a wide receiver, he was noted for his blocking prowess. We’ll have to see if Pete Hoener can work his magic again in 2021, and salvage the career of another incredibly athletic talent caught playing out of position. For me, I watch the film below and see simply too much talent for this guy not to have a shot at the TE2 or TE3 position on this roster. I can’t wait to see Fitzy throwing him some jump balls.”

That 40 speed of 4.44 is bogus. He NEVER even in his dreams. Poor research. That was the top widereceiver speed at the combine or proday - they got it confused. When I first read that - I thought Holy!!!! . 

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

That 40 speed of 4.44 is bogus. He NEVER even in his dreams. Poor research. That was the top widereceiver speed at the combine or proday - they got it confused. When I first read that - I thought Holy!!!! . 

I don’t think it’s far off depending what you use as your source. At the Texas Tech Proday he ran a 4.47 & 4.50, at the 2018 NFL Combine he ran a 4.59. The write up of his performance at the NFL combine said that was the only disappointment of his combine.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lubbockonline.com/news/20180324/cameron-batson-dylan-cantrell-among-tech-pro-day-standouts%3ftemplate=ampart

Cantrell, who helped himself at the NFL combine with some of the top numbers across the board, elected to go again during the on-campus workouts. The 6-foot-3, 223-pound wide receiver's numbers included a 41-inch vertical jump, 11-feet, 3-inch standing broad jump, 4.47 and 4.50 40-yard times and 10-yard times of 1.63 and 1.65.”

Edited by turtle28