Who are "your" guys at the top of the draft?

.Buzz

3 hours ago, pwny said:

This quote is kinda legitimately hilarious.

Like...

Urban spends his life in the college game, just going around magnetically picking up top talent wherever he goes:  "I don't see why the NFL are always so obsessed with these top picks and stuff, just like go out and recruit some top athletes, it's not that hard man".

Urban gets to the NFL and it's immediately like, "hey GM how many top-10 picks do we have?  What?  Only one?????  Oh **** oh **** oh ****.  How do we get more?  We need more.  Like 5 at least.  Go get more Top-10 picks, we need them.  These guys are the best".

11 hours ago, pwny said:

But for the actual question at hand, this year I haven’t done nearly as much digging and research as I normally do, so I don’t really have too many guys I’m going hard for. On the plus side, this largest means I’ll be okay with almost anyone they draft.

My only hard opinion is that I know a lot of people are digging the idea of Moehrig at #25, but I’d rather take one of the better SS prospects at 33, 45 or 65. 

I'm kinda mixed on the Moehrig thing.  If they're gonna go with a Safety early, that's really the guy for me.  If it's not him...i'm more in the vein of what you're saying.  Probably just wait on it a bit.

If we're talking "my guys" there...Jamar Johnson is the one that i quite fancy.  Over a lot of the other talked about guys.  Really...any of them besides Moehrig.

I was playing around with some mocks a couple days ago and came up with a plan I'd love to see us implement.  We have too many holes to get a prime player at every position we need, so what I'd like to see us do on defense is build a beastly pass rush and worry about the secondary next year. 

We already have two EDGE rushers who were selected high in the draft with Allen and Chaisson.  They both have and have a lot of potential, and I could see them becoming very good.  What I would like to do is add Christian Barmore and Gregory Rousseau to the front of our 3-4 defense. 

Barmore is a perfect guy to play the run and also push the pocket and rush the passer some.  When it comes to Rousseau, your first reaction might be that he is more of an edge rusher, and I would agree, to a degree. The thing is, he has the size where he could put on a few pounds and be able to hold his own in the middle of a 4-man front.  What he would bring is his ability to rush the passer from that position, and that would make life a LOT easier on whoever is playing next to him, whether that be Allen or Chaisson.  We could probably move them around for a little variety.

I know this sounds kind of different, but we did it in Minnesota back in the late 80's and early 90's.  We had a great pass rusher named Chris Doleman (who now has a bust in Canton), but we also drafted an equally dynamic pass rusher named Keith Millard.  His career was cut short due to a knee injury, but he was actually even better than Doleman, and I have little doubt he would be in the Hall of Fame today too if he hadn't gotten injured.  He played a couple of years in the USFL, but when he came to Minnesota, we ended up putting Millard on the interior of the D-line as a defensive tackle.  

Millard was tough enough to stop the run, but he was a ferocious pass rusher.  It really put offenses in a tough spot because they had to decide who to stop, Doleman or Millard.  They stopped them sometimes, but a lot of the time, one or both of them got to the QB.

In 1989 the Vikings had the #1 defense in the NFL, and I can hardly even remember who was playing in our secondary.  It was the pass rush of Doleman and Millard that crushed opposing offenses.

If we could create a similar situation with Rousseau and our other Edge rushers, we could afford to wait until next year to worry too much about our corners and safeties.  

Now, I know it is a different era now, but I think it will still work.  We saw what happened to the best QB in the league in the Super Bowl last year when he was running for his life.  

Anyway, I've already written a book here, so I'll cut it off here.  That's who I want for #25 and #33.  Barmore and Rousseau. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I was playing around with some mocks a couple days ago and came up with a plan I'd love to see us implement.  We have too many holes to get a prime player at every position we need, so what I'd like to see us do on defense is build a beastly pass rush and worry about the secondary next year. 

We already have two EDGE rushers who were selected high in the draft with Allen and Chaisson.  They both have and have a lot of potential, and I could see them becoming very good.  What I would like to do is add Christian Barmore and Gregory Rousseau to the front of our 3-4 defense. 

Barmore is a perfect guy to play the run and also push the pocket and rush the passer some.  When it comes to Rousseau, your first reaction might be that he is more of an edge rusher, and I would agree, to a degree. The thing is, he has the size where he could put on a few pounds and be able to hold his own in the middle of a 4-man front.  What he would bring is his ability to rush the passer from that position, and that would make life a LOT easier on whoever is playing next to him, whether that be Allen or Chaisson.  We could probably move them around for a little variety.

I know this sounds kind of different, but we did it in Minnesota back in the late 80's and early 90's.  We had a great pass rusher named Chris Doleman (who now has a bust in Canton), but we also drafted an equally dynamic pass rusher named Keith Millard.  His career was cut short due to a knee injury, but he was actually even better than Doleman, and I have little doubt he would be in the Hall of Fame today too if he hadn't gotten injured.  He played a couple of years in the USFL, but when he came to Minnesota, we ended up putting Millard on the interior of the D-line as a defensive tackle.  

Millard was tough enough to stop the run, but he was a ferocious pass rusher.  It really put offenses in a tough spot because they had to decide who to stop, Doleman or Millard.  They stopped them sometimes, but a lot of the time, one or both of them got to the QB.

In 1989 the Vikings had the #1 defense in the NFL, and I can hardly even remember who was playing in our secondary.  It was the pass rush of Doleman and Millard that crushed opposing offenses.

If we could create a similar situation with Rousseau and our other Edge rushers, we could afford to wait until next year to worry too much about our corners and safeties.  

Now, I know it is a different era now, but I think it will still work.  We saw what happened to the best QB in the league in the Super Bowl last year when he was running for his life.  

Anyway, I've already written a book here, so I'll cut it off here.  That's who I want for #25 and #33.  Barmore and Rousseau. 

But also, yes, mostly.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I've actually been having similar thoughts to Rousseau lately. To me, I've been weighing his potential of staying at 3-4 OLB at his current size versus having him put on weight and playing more of an IDL position to be impactful there as I think he may actually have more upside in that role especially considering his frame and skillset. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I've actually been having similar thoughts to Rousseau lately. To me, I've been weighing his potential of staying at 3-4 OLB at his current size versus having him put on weight and playing more of an IDL position to be impactful there as I think he may actually have more upside in that role especially considering his frame and skillset. 

Having him in there with our pass rushers could be deadly.  Then throw in Barmore or even Levi Onwuzurike with his explosive first step and our defense could very quickly become one of the best in the league.  Rousseau should be our guy at #25!  :)

I was just watching an old highlight video of a game between the Eagles and the Vikings.  Reggie White was still playing for the Eagles and he had three sacks in that game.  That was pretty impressive until they mentioned that Keith Millard had four and half sacks!  I would so love to see a pass rush like that again, but this time in teal.  Duuuval!!!!!!!!

Edited by Uncle Buck
  • Like 1

Outside of the obvious I'd call these "my guys" only going into first/second round picks:

Trevon Moehrig

Christian Barmore

Samuel Jr

Alex Leatherwood

Dyami Brown

Guys I really don't like:

Kadarius Toney

Rondale Moore

Think I'll pass on these type of often injured one year wonder receivers.