Rookie watch thread.

resilient part 2

3 minutes ago, utley4568 said:

What do you mean learn first hand? For a good bit he wasn't even traveling with the team, or working with the team. He was rehabbing. The benefit he actually had was having last offseason with the Sixers. Being around the team doesn't help a whole lot during the season.

Lets be real, he still got an opportunity to learn the game with coaches, players, etc. whether during his first summer league stint, during his rehab, and after. It's not like they ousted Simmons from 6ers bball activities.  

8 minutes ago, utley4568 said:

What do you mean learn first hand? For a good bit he wasn't even traveling with the team, or working with the team. He was rehabbing. The benefit he actually had was having last offseason with the Sixers. Being around the team doesn't help a whole lot during the season.

Naw. Its different. Simmons definitely has an advantage being in the league a year earlier. Just rehabbing and training with NBA trainers is enough of an advantage. 

5 minutes ago, 49er pride said:

Lets be real, he still got an opportunity to learn the game with coaches, players, etc. whether during his first summer league stint, during his rehab, and after. It's not like they ousted Simmons from 6ers bball activities.  

Sure he did, before he got hurt. After he did there wasn't a whole lot that he could do.

4 minutes ago, utley4568 said:

Sure he did, before he got hurt. After he did there wasn't a whole lot that he could do.

he still got to do light practice with the team while every other rookie was still in school. Like I said, he got the opportunity to just learn the game. That goes a long way, especially for someone who's going to run the offense. 

8 minutes ago, utley4568 said:

What about the advantage of Mitchell getting to play an extra year of basketball to develop. Sure, it was in college, but he was able to at least play and practice.

def helps vs the one and dones.

2 minutes ago, 49er pride said:

he still got to do light practice with the team while every other rookie was still in school. Like I said, he got the opportunity to just learn the game. That goes a long way, especially for someone who's going to run the offense. 

No he didn't. He had a broken foot.

But what do you mean learn the game? He didn't get to play in games to learn how it was played differently than college basketball

1 minute ago, utley4568 said:

No he didn't. He had a broken foot.

But what do you mean learn the game? He didn't get to play in games to learn how it was played differently than college basketball

http://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/philadelphia-76ers/ben-simmons-practices-5-0-drills-first-time-sixers

That was in Jan.

How do you think players get better in the offseason? They're not playing any games but they get better due to training, practicing, and learning the game. Obv IDK how the sixers did it but I'm sure they had coaches work with Simmons on how to run the offense. Real NBA game exp matters but none of the rookies have that. What I'm saying is Simmons has a head start on training, practicing, etc. while still playing one year of college ball.

Just now, 49er pride said:

http://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/philadelphia-76ers/ben-simmons-practices-5-0-drills-first-time-sixers

That was in Jan.

How do you think players get better in the offseason? They're not playing any games but they get better due to training, practicing, and learning the game. Obv IDK how the sixers did it but I'm sure they had coaches work with Simmons on how to run the offense. Real NBA game exp matters but none of the rookies have that. What I'm saying is Simmons has a head start on training, practicing, etc. while still playing one year of college ball.

Yes so in January he started 5-on-0 then, if I remember correctly, he stopped. And learning the offense is not learning the game, and thats generally all 5-on-0 is.

And yes. I'm acutely aware of what players do in the offseason, when they're healthy and when their staff isn't preoccupied with the season.

22 minutes ago, utley4568 said:

Yes so in January he started 5-on-0 then, if I remember correctly, he stopped. And learning the offense is not learning the game, and thats generally all 5-on-0 is.

And yes. I'm acutely aware of what players do in the offseason, when they're healthy and when their staff isn't preoccupied with the season.

and thats more nba exp than any other rookie received. 

This is a silly argument. Every single level sports try to get the player as soon as possible. From 8th grade to high school, from high school to college, from College to pros. If it was no advantage teams wouldnt do it in every single sport. 

21 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

Ask any bball coach if he rather the player be in his program injuried or playing in high school or college and see what they say. 

I have. They prefer players playing.

3 minutes ago, utley4568 said:

I have. They prefer players playing.

Probably because most hs kids aren't ready to play college ball and so on. 

Here is my main point, Simmons had 1 extra offseason, as well the extra NBA training practice, and had a year of experience of college ball (that doesn't matter btw). That is why Simmons, Embiid, Blake,  etc. should not be considered rookies. 

I'm not saying Simmons is better because of that or that he would not be doing this last year. My point is he shouldn't be considered a rookie because of what were saying. The NBA needs to change that or add an asterisk.

6 minutes ago, 49er pride said:

Probably because most hs kids aren't ready to play college ball and so on. 

Here is my main point, Simmons had 1 extra offseason, as well the extra NBA training practice, and had a year of experience of college ball (that doesn't matter btw). That is why Simmons, Embiid, Blake,  etc. should not be considered rookies. 

I'm not saying Simmons is better because of that or that he would not be doing this last year. My point is he shouldn't be considered a rookie because of what were saying. The NBA needs to change that or add an asterisk.

I'm talking NBA coaches.

My point is that all of that doesn't make that much of a difference.

Archived