Rookie watch thread.

resilient part 2

2 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I agree that guys who are in their 2nd year, but missed their 1st due to injury, are not rookies, but that's not how the NBA sees it so it is what it is.

ROTY- Simmons

1st team

• Ben Simmons
  • Donovan Mitchell
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Kyle Kuzma
  • Lauri Markkanen

2nd team

• Bogdan Bogdanovich
  • John Collins
  • Dennis Smith
  • Lonzo Ball
  • Bam Adebayo

I feel he almost gets this spot by default. His opportunity was so great in comparison to other rookies and did some things very well. But I just can't get over the fact that he has been far more disappointing than promising in my eyes. I know there are a legion that will differ from this view, Oh well.

It doesn't matter what you think does or doesn't count, the way it is now, Simmons is eligible and deserves to win the award by the rules set forth at this moment in time. Blake Griffin won it after sitting out the season he was drafted. Don't know who else has had this happen.

But by this logic, it also stands to reason that Euro players who don't come over right away also shouldn't be eligible for the honors.

1 hour ago, resilient part 2 said:

I feel he almost gets this spot by default. His opportunity was so great in comparison to other rookies and did some things very well. But I just can't get over the fact that he has been far more disappointing than promising in my eyes. I know there are a legion that will differ from this view, Oh well.

Eh, realistically he met expectations. I was expecting 11 7 and 5 with a better shooting percentage and much worse defense.  

30 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

what?

NBA rookie, of course. Rookie doesn't mean they haven't played professionally before, just that it is their 1st year playing in the NBA.

But he has such an inherent advantage having played 4+ years of professional basketball already!

Unfair!!!!

16 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

But he has such an inherent advantage having played 4+ years of professional basketball already!

Unfair!!!!

oh i didn't know it was called professional basketball ROY.

Here's how ridiculous this is. Embiid was with the team for 3 years and was considered a rookie. Randle in the same draft played 13 mins for the season and was not considered a rookie (which is correct)

2 hours ago, Danger said:

But by this logic, it also stands to reason that Euro players who don't come over right away also shouldn't be eligible for the honors.

Nah

Just do it like the NFL, if a player is on the payroll, his first year counts, even if he doesn't play.

On 4/9/2018 at 7:17 PM, seminoles1 said:

Unfair!!!!

Doncic wasn't in the NBA though. Embiid and Simmons were.

And I didn't think Griffin should have won it over Wall either. 

Archived