orlando magoc thread: franzchero era

FinneasGage

27 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Orlando is gonna be my #2 team. I'll be in here next season for some emotional support 

no posers bruh we dont wanna be culturally appropriated by u soft mfers who choose to root for >.500 franchises. this isn't a community you can hop into. need to put in 4 years of watching at least 30 games to be allowed to adopt our philosophy. and you've already forsaken the first commandment. no emotional support is needed. as part of initiation we've eliminated the concepts of "hope", "optimism", etc. cheering and following this franchise is more of initiation for death in real life; it's preparation. eliminate hope and there's no disappointment or fear of death. that's what we're about. so kindly FOH w/ the emotional support, my friend. i care about you and appreciate you. don't worry about us. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jfinley88 said:

no posers bruh we dont wanna be culturally appropriated by u soft mfers who choose to root for >.500 franchises. this isn't a community you can hop into. need to put in 4 years of watching at least 30 games to be allowed to adopt our philosophy. and you've already forsaken the first commandment. no emotional support is needed. as part of initiation we've eliminated the concepts of "hope", "optimism", etc. cheering and following this franchise is more of initiation for death in real life; it's preparation. eliminate hope and there's no disappointment or fear of death. that's what we're about. so kindly FOH w/ the emotional support, my friend. i care about you and appreciate you. don't worry about us. 

man don't lump me in with the haves of nba fanbases. i've seen two playoff series wins in 15 years. but that post is heard i will just be popping in here and checking on you out of respect but not worry 

58 minutes ago, jfinley88 said:

this is the least desirable position in major american sports leagues

I keep thinking there might be hope with Gordon, maybe Isaac won’t get injured and will become something, #6 pick won’t bust, and we get a good coach...but then shortly afterwards I realize none of that is possible 

• Like 1

This is a post from a Hornets fan on another board who watched most of Clifford's tenure in Charlotte. Take it as you will:

"He's not a bad coach. in fact, he's a good coach who really has all the tools to lead a team to success. his tenure in Charlotte had run its course and no one was surprised or disappointed that he was let go. in many cases, the opposite of disappointed. that doesn't mean he isn't a NBA quality coach. he's definitely that.

positives: 
>very good at teaching fundamentals
>very good (at least initially) at engaging the roster and galvanizing the team
>works quite well with his staff, and i would anticipate there will be a very solid roster of assistant coaches
>the team will be very well-prepared, as prepared as any other team in the league
>he was instrumental in giving Kemba Walker the tools to succeed and enter a couple new stratospheres as a player
>some of his "non-negotiables" as far as team play style will significantly raise the 'floor' of your team's potential
>he knows everything he needs to know to get a team running a solid offense
>has an awareness of league trends (though he utilizes this awareness more to defend trends than to drive offensive evolution)
>players pretty much always respect him, and he is pretty candid and open about their roles. he is Very well respected around the league, for whatever that's worth
>he considers what helps players succeed, regularly tries to get players regular minutes rather than just throw them in wherever
>when his defense is on, it's 5 players on a string, with good upside against any opponent

negatives:
>it's pretty clear that his ability to 'motivate' had petered out by the end of his Hornets tenure
>pretty hard-headed, and will do the same thing over and over even if it's not succeeding
>some of his "non-negotiables" will lead to suboptimal roster deployment and seeing the same open 3's from opponents game after game
>very hesitant to play rookies if they're not "ready" i.e. if they don't behave themselves on defense or have too many turnovers
>if you have a stud defender, he'll leave them one-on-one with a superstar and let them get cooked
>numerous inexplicable errors in getting the dang ball in bounds after a timeout or dead ball
>sometimes slow to make overarching strategic decisions in-season which leads to seasons feeling like they slip away
>doesn't appear to adapt his strategic outlook to fit the talent on the roster, more tries to get players to fit into defined roles"

Here are some stats from Clifford's tenure in Charlotte:

TOs/game
13-14: Fewest TOs per game
14-15: Fewest TOs per game
15-16: Fewest TOs per game
16-17: Fewest TOs per game
17-18: 3rd fewest TOs per game

Allowed OREBs/game
13-14: Fewest OREBs allowed per game
14-15: Fewest OREBs allowed per game
15-16: 2nd Fewest OREBs allowed per game
16-17: 3rd Fewest OREBs allowed per game
17-18: 2nd Fewest OREBs allowed per game

FTAs Allowed/game
13-14: 2nd Fewest FTAs allowed per game
14-15: 3rd Fewest FTAs allowed per game
15-16: 3rd Fewest FTAs allowed per game
16-17: Fewest FTAs allowed per game
17-18: Fewest FTAs allowed per game

FGAs at the Rim
13-14: 9th in FGAs allowed at the rim
14-15: 1st in FGAs allowed at the rim
15-16: 9th in FGAs allowed at the rim
16-17: 10th in FGAs allowed at the rim
17-18: 7th in FGAs allowed at the rim

Take all of this as you will my brethren.

I don’t think he’s that bad tbh. Took the Bobcats from 21 to 43 wins his first year (although it is important to note they added Al Jefferson in the offseason) and had another season where he went 48-34 which was tied for the 3rd best record in the East, but ended up as the 6th seed based on how the tie breakers shook out. Overall he was 196-214 which isn’t awful considering they whiffed on every single draft pick during his tenure and they never added any big time free agents outside of Jefferson who started to fall off the year after they aquired him (which was also the same year Clifford became coach).