2022 Draft Talk

swede700

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Yes he was. 

You don’t draft a player in the 1st round to only get one contract. 

of course not, but I think there is a giant gap between Homerun Pick and then >>>>>> Bust.

He was in between. He gave you multiple seasons of above average CB play. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I would classify any 1st round pick that doesn’t sign a second contract with the team that drafted him as a bust. 

We’ll see where Bradbury lands on that after this year, but he’s trending in the wrong direction. 

I'm not necessarily at that level of consideration, as there can be a lot of extenuating circumstances that can lead to a player not being signed to an extension.  As b2h indicates, I wouldn't necessarily consider Waynes a bust, because they did get starter level value out of him...and he even got his 5th yr extension picked up, but then he got a huge deal from Cincinnati.  

If you can't get starter level play out of a 1st round pick at all, then that's a clear bust (i.e. Gladney, Hughes, Treadwell)...anything above that is debatable on a case-by-case basis.  Hell, I wouldn't even call Kalil necessarily a bust...although he's about as close to it without calling him one, especially based on where he was selected in the 1st round.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, battle2heaven said:

of course not, but I think there is a giant gap between Homerun Pick and then >>>>>> Bust.

He was in between. He gave you multiple seasons of above average CB play. 

And you can get that much later in the draft. 

Trae Waynes started 53 games in 5 years and was nothing better than mediocre. Maybe for a player taken in the 2nd round or later that’s not a bust, but for a top 15 pick that’s a bust. 

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Hell, I wouldn't even call Kalil necessarily a bust...although he's about as close to it without calling him one, especially based on where he was selected in the 1st round.

He was tough to quantify, but yeah, I wouldn't call him a bust. Got a massive 2nd contract from the Panthers. He had multiple years of above average tackle play and then fell off a cliff.

4 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

And you can get that much later in the draft. 

Trae Waynes started 53 games in 5 years and was nothing better than mediocre. Maybe for a player taken in the 2nd round or later that’s not a bust, but for a top 15 pick that’s a bust. 

that doesn't mean he's a bust. Not meeting expectations? Yes. a bust? no. 

Like I said, you can't really have two extreme buckets like that. Waynes provided more value to the Vikings then a Mike Hughes ever did, they should not be in the same bucket.

• Like 2

Jordan Reid just did a 7 round Mock

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2022/insider/story/_/id/33690175/seven-round-nfl-mock-draft-2022-jordan-reid-predictions-262-picks-filling-needs-all-32-teams

12 - Stingley

44 - Pitre

77 - Paschal (sneaky pick, can play up and down the line i think)

5th - Dawson Deaton C

184 - Danny Gray WR (SLEEPER)

191 - Cole Turner TE (like him a bit)

192 - Jack Jones CB (probably steal of day 3 if this were to happen)

7th - James Housin IV LB - dunno him

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Jordan Reid just did a 7 round Mock

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2022/insider/story/_/id/33690175/seven-round-nfl-mock-draft-2022-jordan-reid-predictions-262-picks-filling-needs-all-32-teams

12 - Stingley

44 - Pitre

77 - Paschal (sneaky pick, can play up and down the line i think)

5th - Dawson Deaton C

184 - Danny Gray WR (SLEEPER)

191 - Cole Turner TE (like him a bit)

192 - Jack Jones CB (probably steal of day 3 if this were to happen)

7th - James Housin IV LB - dunno him

I don't mind this.

He gave the Vikings Pite over Cine, Skyy Moore, Ojabo, Pickens, Logan Hall though.

He gave the Vikings Paschal over Alec Pierce, Enagbare, DeAngelo Malone, Bonitto, Sanders though.

My shadow draft would probably be

12 - Stingley

44 - Pickens

77 - Bonitto

1 minute ago, battle2heaven said:

you know it's not!!! You are one of the poster here I always love to hear opinions from, but don't pick this hill to die on 😀

You seem to be defining bust based on the player. I define bust based on the investment by the team. The higher the draft pick, the higher the expectations. 

When expectations aren’t met, it’s a failed draft pick. Or a bust. It doesn’t matter that the player is ok, or gets signed by another team. That does the drafting team no good. Their investment into that draft pick busted.