Weaknesses, Strengths and Improvements on Paper

The 2021 prospects for the Minnesota Vikings are hard, at least for me, to get a handle on.  Looking backward is always clearer than looking forward.  As I look backwards, last season could be thought of as a disappointment.  From injuries, opt outs, and decline in play with some vets, the defense was poor all season.  The offense had some high points with Dalvin Cook having a really good season, and the breakout of rookie WR Justin Jefferson.  While he ended the season with some gawdy statistics, QB Kirk Cousins started the 2020 season in horrendous fashion.  Can he play consistently well for an entire season?  So, let's examine the weaknesses, strengths and improvements on paper of the 2021 Minnesota Vikings:

Weaknesses:

1. Unproven Offensive Coordinator - Klint Kubiak has a pedigree, and has been coaching in the NFL for several years.  However, he has never been an OC.  We all assume that the offense he uses will be based on the offense that his father established.  Yet, will Klint be able to put in new wrinkles and take some risks or, will he stick to what he knows and what is comfortable for him?

2. Defensive Secondary - Yes, there are a lot of new parts that have been acquired in an attempt to rebuild a secondary that was rated near the bottom of the league in 2020.  Among the challenges facing Coach Zimmer at the Defensive backs are A) who will be the starters at cornerback?  Gladney, who started as a rookie in 2020, is possibly facing league and/or team suspension for off the field behavior.  B) A 31 year old Patrick Peterson was brought in on a one year free agency contract.  Peterson had a stellar early career with Arizona, but the last two seasons saw Peterson struggle.  The question is can Zimmer revive his play enough that he will not need help in coverage?  C) Another veteran cornerback, Brashaud Breeland was also signed in free agency.  Breeland had a serviceable career in Kansas City.  Is he capable of growing in the Zimmer system?  D) The surprising, noticeable decline of Harrison Smith.  This really shouldn't be much of a surprise,  He is 32 years old, and has played at a high level his whole career.  The Vikings are betting that last years decline was precipitated by the whole backfield playing poorly, and a generally weak defensive line that had difficulty in getting pressure on the QB on passing downs. 

3.  Who will play on the edge of the DLine opposite Dannielle Hunter - It appears that Stephen Weatherly might be at the top of the early depth chart.  Weatherly is effective against the run, but getting consistent pressure and being a disruptive presence in the backfield is not a major strength.  The Vikings are rumored to have Everson Griffen on speed dial...but, is he likely to be much better than Weatherly?

4. Special Teams - Goodbye Dan Bailey, hello....who are you again?  Once again, the place kicking game is a question mark.  Have we had a consistent place kicker since Ryan Longwell?  The kicking game has gotten most of the negative press over the years, but the kick return game hasn't been much to write about, and the coverage team leaves a lot to be desired.  I am suspicious that we will see great overall improvement in special teams.

Strengths:

1. Quarterback - while I will never think that Cousins was worth his initial Viking contract, on the whole, he has been a consistent player at the position.  His goofy nature is easy to like and he will never be an off field distraction for the team.  That being said, I am doubtful that he can lead the Vikings to a Super Bowl victory.  He still has his head scratching moments when he is his own worst enemy.  He needs nearly perfect play from an unproven offensive line this year for the Vikings to go anywhere in the playoffs.

2. Running attack - Dalvin Cook and Alexander Mattison are a really effective one - two punch out of the backfield.  If he stays healthy, Cook has the ability to put up All Pro numbers.

3. Receivers - What team wouldn't want starters like Jefferson and Theilen?  The question for the Vikes at receiver is depth.  There really is no one behind the starters that would likely manage half the production of Jefferson or Theilen.  It also appears that Irv Smith will be the number one TE.  He has great talent, but can he and Cousins develop chemistry?

4. Middle Linebacker -  While middle linebacker is not the glamor position it once was in the NFL, Erik Kendricks plays the position as well as anyone in the league.  While he receives accolades from football writers, Kendricks seems to be under appreciated by Vikings fans.  That's got to change! 

Paper Improvements:

1. Free Agents - This section is all about what might be hoped for, but, as yet, unproven!  I was pleasantly surprised that the Vikings were as active in Free Agency as they were.  Picking up Peterson, Breeland, Richardson and Tomlinson for the defense on team friendly deals, shows Spielman at his best. 

2. Offensive Line - The additions of rookies Christian Darrisaw and Wyatt Davis, to team up with Ezra Cleveland, Garrett Bradbury and Brian O'Neill will give the Vikings one of the youngest offensive lines in the league.  And, there really is no reason that Darrisaw, Davis and Cleveland shouldn't be starters this season.  O'Neill is the most proven of this group.  He struggled a bit last year, but there is no reason he shouldn't bounce back and grow into a top 10 right tackle.  Bradbury continues to be a question mark on the line.  However, if Cleveland and Davis play strongly, Bradbury is likely to improve his play.

3. Defensive Line - Hunter is back, with a contract extension that is fair to both parties.  If he is completely healed from his neck injury, he should bring back a level of disruptive power that was missing last season.  Tomlinson adds significant power and bulk in the middle, and if Richardson starts next to him, they could be the best inside combo the Vikings have had since Kevin and Pat Williams built their wall.  Michael Pierce will likely see plenty of playing time, likely spelling Tomlinson with little to no drop off. The only question is the other defensive end position.  Can Weatherly up his pass rush?

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

The 2021 prospects for the Minnesota Vikings are hard, at least for me, to get a handle on.  Looking backward is always clearer than looking forward.  As I look backwards, last season could be thought of as a disappointment.  From injuries, opt outs, and decline in play with some vets, the defense was poor all season.  The offense had some high points with Dalvin Cook having a really good season, and the breakout of rookie WR Justin Jefferson.  While he ended the season with some gawdy statistics, QB Kirk Cousins started the 2020 season in horrendous fashion.  Can he play consistently well for an entire season?  So, let's examine the weaknesses, strengths and improvements on paper of the 2021 Minnesota Vikings:

Weaknesses:

1. Unproven Offensive Coordinator - Klint Kubiak has a pedigree, and has been coaching in the NFL for several years.  However, he has never been an OC.  We all assume that the offense he uses will be based on the offense that his father established.  Yet, will Klint be able to put in new wrinkles and take some risks or, will he stick to what he knows and what is comfortable for him?

2. Defensive Secondary - Yes, there are a lot of new parts that have been acquired in an attempt to rebuild a secondary that was rated near the bottom of the league in 2020.  Among the challenges facing Coach Zimmer at the Defensive backs are A) who will be the starters at cornerback?  Gladney, who started as a rookie in 2020, is possibly facing league and/or team suspension for off the field behavior.  B) A 31 year old Patrick Peterson was brought in on a one year free agency contract.  Peterson had a stellar early career with Arizona, but the last two seasons saw Peterson struggle.  The question is can Zimmer revive his play enough that he will not need help in coverage?  C) Another veteran cornerback, Brashaud Breeland was also signed in free agency.  Breeland had a serviceable career in Kansas City.  Is he capable of growing in the Zimmer system?  D) The surprising, noticeable decline of Harrison Smith.  This really shouldn't be much of a surprise,  He is 32 years old, and has played at a high level his whole career.  The Vikings are betting that last years decline was precipitated by the whole backfield playing poorly, and a generally weak defensive line that had difficulty in getting pressure on the QB on passing downs. 

3.  Who will play on the edge of the DLine opposite Dannielle Hunter - It appears that Stephen Weatherly might be at the top of the early depth chart.  Weatherly is effective against the run, but getting consistent pressure and being a disruptive presence in the backfield is not a major strength.  The Vikings are rumored to have Everson Griffen on speed dial...but, is he likely to be much better than Weatherly?

4. Special Teams - Goodbye Dan Bailey, hello....who are you again?  Once again, the place kicking game is a question mark.  Have we had a consistent place kicker since Ryan Longwell?  The kicking game has gotten most of the negative press over the years, but the kick return game hasn't been much to write about, and the coverage team leaves a lot to be desired.  I am suspicious that we will see great overall improvement in special teams.

Strengths:

1. Quarterback - while I will never think that Cousins was worth his initial Viking contract, on the whole, he has been a consistent player at the position.  His goofy nature is easy to like and he will never be an off field distraction for the team.  That being said, I am doubtful that he can lead the Vikings to a Super Bowl victory.  He still has his head scratching moments when he is his own worst enemy.  He needs nearly perfect play from an unproven offensive line this year for the Vikings to go anywhere in the playoffs.

2. Running attack - Dalvin Cook and Alexander Mattison are a really effective one - two punch out of the backfield.  If he stays healthy, Cook has the ability to put up All Pro numbers.

3. Receivers - What team wouldn't want starters like Jefferson and Theilen?  The question for the Vikes at receiver is depth.  There really is no one behind the starters that would likely manage half the production of Jefferson or Theilen.  It also appears that Irv Smith will be the number one TE.  He has great talent, but can he and Cousins develop chemistry?

4. Middle Linebacker -  While middle linebacker is not the glamor position it once was in the NFL, Erik Kendricks plays the position as well as anyone in the league.  While he receives accolades from football writers, Kendricks seems to be under appreciated by Vikings fans.  That's got to change! 

Paper Improvements:

1. Free Agents - This section is all about what might be hoped for, but, as yet, unproven!  I was pleasantly surprised that the Vikings were as active in Free Agency as they were.  Picking up Peterson, Breeland, Richardson and Tomlinson for the defense on team friendly deals, shows Spielman at his best. 

2. Offensive Line - The additions of rookies Christian Darrisaw and Wyatt Davis, to team up with Ezra Cleveland, Garrett Bradbury and Brian O'Neill will give the Vikings one of the youngest offensive lines in the league.  And, there really is no reason that Darrisaw, Davis and Cleveland shouldn't be starters this season.  O'Neill is the most proven of this group.  He struggled a bit last year, but there is no reason he shouldn't bounce back and grow into a top 10 right tackle.  Bradbury continues to be a question mark on the line.  However, if Cleveland and Davis play strongly, Bradbury is likely to improve his play.

3. Defensive Line - Hunter is back, with a contract extension that is fair to both parties.  If he is completely healed from his neck injury, he should bring back a level of disruptive power that was missing last season.  Tomlinson adds significant power and bulk in the middle, and if Richardson starts next to him, they could be the best inside combo the Vikings have had since Kevin and Pat Williams built their wall.  Michael Pierce will likely see plenty of playing time, likely spelling Tomlinson with little to no drop off. The only question is the other defensive end position.  Can Weatherly up his pass rush?

I would be much more worried about the offensive line than I would about the secondary or the new offensive coordinator.  The talent has improved with the group but the development or lack there of recently is a worry and a lot of that is the system and or coaching.  

No clue where you getting the defensive line this year will be weak, that crap DL last year had a lot to do with the failures of the secondary sure.  But the secondary is so wildly improved with Alexander, Woods, Peterson, Breeland and then the assumed improvement of Dantzler, Hand and Gladney (if he even plays this year), not to mention Boyd as well and Bynum.  The opposite DE from Hunter could be an issue but they have so many options and young guys, one will show out and do well and if not just put Weatherly there and see what he can do but they have tons of good options and potential there.

The kicker yes is a massive question mark but Bailey was so bad last year would be hard to get worse than that.  Patterson I have faith in, he was a very good kicker in college, good strong leg and my guess is he will be the Vikings kicker next year.  Maybe Joseph will beat him out but I would rather have Patterson long term.  

Not sure I would have Kirk as the #1 strength of the team, I would have just in general the offensive weapons of all those guys combined, Cousins, Cook and Jefferson is a good solid big three and Cook/Jefferson makes it a very dangerous offense not to mention Thielen and improved WRs around him with big play potential in Smith-Marsette who could be an awesome 3rd option and is a massive improvement, Bisi is simply not that dangerous and Beebe took his place honestly a lot last year.  Smith-Marsette could be a solid 3rd option and a big play guy.   Could argue in terms of depth the DL and the CB group are the two deepest positions on the team.  

TE is a big question I think but will see how Conklin looks and Smith, still think they could miss Kyle's leadership and blocking big time.  

The improvement and talented added to the DL and secondary is arguably as much improvement as any unit has got in the NFL.  And if the offense can still play like they did last year, add that to a improved defense and they could be pretty solid.  Still OL is probably the biggest issue but they were so bad in pass pro last year, will be hard to be worse than that honestly but will see.  And I agree Richardson and Tomlinson could be the best pair they have had since Kevin and Pat Williams no question, also will be curious if Pierce can give them anything, or the younger guys Lynch, Twyman or Watts.  

I see the offensive line as a huge weakness. It would be great of the young guys look decent out there, but right now it looks like the unit that will hold the team back the most IMO.  I do agree that the unproven OC is another reason for concern, but I have more faith in him than I do in the offensive line personnel. 

Edited by Cearbhall

2 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

I see the offensive line a as huge weakness and the weakness. It would be great of the young guys look decent out there, but right now it looks like the unit that will hold the team back the most IMO.  I do agree that the unproven OC is another reason for concern, but I have more faith in him than I do in the offensive line personnel. 

True if one has to say a weakness of the team it is that no question.  I still have faith in the improved talent level of the guys brought in eventually upgrading them overall.  And again how can they be any worse, they were pretty awful last year so no where to go than up.  They were 18th in the NFL last year in pass block win rate for the OL at 56% which is shocking, I would have thought they would be a lot lower than that, oddly enough they were only 21st in the NFL in run block win rate at 70%, granted the top pass block win rate team was 74% (Green Bay no shock) and the top run block win rate team was only 74% (Green Bay also) but a smaller difference there from the top compared to that pass pro one.

Still in terms of QBs getting hit I think they were pretty high in that but they did only allow 39 sacks which was about a little over middle of the pack, Phili gave up 65 sacks which lead the NFL.

They have improved depth on the OL that is no question so that should help a lot.  

Harrison Smith did not decline.  He, unfortunately, had to spend all his time covering for a young secondary and had to deal with a bad defensive line.  

And for once, I can't agree with some of the others in saying that I'd be more concerned about the offensive line than the offensive coordinator or secondary.  While it's still probably a weakness, I'm not nearly as down on it as I once was.  For as "consistent" as Riley Reiff was, let's face it, he was still really only competent at best...he was really a  RT who was only playing the LT position because the Vikings didn't have one.  I think if they can get a consistent starting 5 without Dakota Dozier being one of them, that can only be a wash, if not a step up from even a year ago.  

However, I do agree with the others that I question the opposite side of Hunter being a weakness.  IMO, it doesn't really matter who will be starting on the opposite side as long as we get what is expected out of Pierce and Tomlinson in the middle.  Those guys are the key.  I think any one of the candidates to start opposite him will be fine...mainly because I have faith in Patterson to get the most out of them.  I see no worse than a Ray Edwards out of them and that'll be just fine.   

• Like 1