Raiders Reportedly Will Sign Desean Jackson

NYRaider

Just now, Jeremy408 said:

He ran fast in a straight line in shorts and a t-shirt, he doesn't play fast. A lot of guys test faster then what they look like on film because they're training for the drills for months prior to the combine. In his college career he averaged 10.7 ypc, so far in his NFL career he's averaging 11.2 ypc. I'm not going to zag Zay Jones but he's a possession WR, not a deep threat or a guy that creates separation with speed.  

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He ran fast in a straight line in shorts and a t-shirt, he doesn't play fast. A lot of guys test faster then what they look like on film because they're training for the drills for months prior to the combine. In his college career he averaged 10.7 ypc, so far in his NFL career he's averaging 11.2 ypc. I'm not going to zag Zay Jones but he's a possession WR, not a deep threat or a guy that creates separation with speed.  

^That wasnt in shorts

Edited by Jeremy408

1 minute ago, Jeremy408 said:

^That wasnt in shorts

You can send me one or two clips. I'm sending you scouting reports from a variety of sources that said the biggest question mark about his game transitioning into the NFL was if he'd be able to separate consistently because he wasn't able to do it at ECU. He had great production but most of it was on short passes and screens.

12 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

There is no doubt that Jones is a quality route-runner and doesn't have wasted steps or get sloppy with his body control. Jones has a quick release off the line and is sudden in and out of his breaks. Because of that, Jones is dependable to generate separation and get open for his quarterback. Jones is quick and uses his size well in the open field to get yards after the catch, too. He is also very good at tracking the ball and has late hands to reel the ball in. While Jones isn't a burner, he is a threat to challenge teams over the top with his quickness and ability to make difficult catches.

In the NFL, Jones could move around from the outside to the slot to get him in position to contribute. He isn't the biggest or fastest wide receiver, but he is effective and a dangerous weapon. However, Jones is short of elite size and speed to make him a true No. 1 receiver at the next level.

Player Comparison: Roddy White. Jones' style of play reminds me of Roddy White. White wasn't the biggest or fastest, but he was quick weapon who ran good routes and generally had reliable hands. In the NFL, it wouldn't surprise me if Jones ends up being a pro similar to White.

1 minute ago, Jeremy408 said:

"People thought he couldn't run because most of his offense was underneath. I'll tell you right now, he ran away from people at the Senior Bowl," 

So does one week of practice in an all-star game prove more then a 3 year body of work in college and a 5 year body of work in the NFL? I don't want to bash Zay but he's not someone that's going to beat you over the top with speed or consistently create space on the boundary. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

So does one week of practice in an all-star game prove more then a 3 year body of work in college and a 5 year body of work in the NFL? I don't want to bash Zay but he's not someone that's going to beat you over the top with speed or consistently create space on the boundary. 

"Not many fans know Zay Jones, but he’s a high-level talent. He slipped a little below the radar at East Carolina, but has the size, speed and hands you want, and he put on a show against good competition at the Senior Bowl." -Mel Kiper

"People thought he couldn't run because most of his offense was underneath. I'll tell you right now, he ran away from people at the Senior Bowl," 

Edited by Jeremy408

"Not many fans know Zay Jones, but he’s a high-level talent. He slipped a little below the radar at East Carolina, but has the size, speed and hands you want, and he put on a show against good competition at the Senior Bowl." -Mel Kiper

And in the NFL he has operated almost exclusively as an underneath possession receiver. He has 131 receptions for 1,473 yards (11.2 ypc). 

Strengths

• versatile receiver who lined up all over the field;
  • catches the ball effortlessly with his hands;
  • exceptional lateral shiftiness on slant/curl/comeback routes;
  • adjusts to the flight of the ball well, enabling him to catch passes away from body;
  • does a great job high-pointing the ball in contested catch situations;
  • dynamic in space, making him a yards after catch threat;
  • great fit for teams who incorporate a lot of “dink-and-dunk” into their pass game;
  • stayed healthy throughout the entirety of his college career;
  • high character individual who should be a good locker room presence.

Weaknesses

• tape doesn’t show as much play strength as expected given his frame;
  • overall play speed and ability to eat zone cushions not quite at elite level;
  • needs to achieve better separation in press man;
  • struggles to set a good base when blocking which leads to him getting overpowered;
  • tends to have extended periods in games where he’s invisible;
  • too reliant on short passes; will have to display more home-run ability at next level.

•  

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

And in the NFL he has operated almost exclusively as an underneath possession receiver. He has 131 receptions for 1,473 yards (11.2 ypc). 

Zay Jones at 37 is right where we expected him to come off the board. He's a player who can get down the field. He's much more than just a bubble screen receiver.- Todd McShay

"Not many fans know Zay Jones, but he’s a high-level talent. He slipped a little below the radar at East Carolina, but has the size, speed and hands you want, and he put on a show against good competition at the Senior Bowl." -Mel Kiper

"People thought he couldn't run because most of his offense was underneath. I'll tell you right now, he ran away from people at the Senior Bowl,"-Mike Mayock

^This catch looks a lot like what they were talking about here

Edited by Jeremy408

Zay Jones at 37 is right where we expected him to come off the board. He's a player who can get down the field. He's much more than just a bubble screen receiver.- Todd McShay

"Not many fans know Zay Jones, but he’s a high-level talent. He slipped a little below the radar at East Carolina, but has the size, speed and hands you want, and he put on a show against good competition at the Senior Bowl." -Mel Kiper

"People thought he couldn't run because most of his offense was underneath. I'll tell you right now, he ran away from people at the Senior Bowl,"-Mike Mayock

^This catch looks a lot like what they were talking about here

You can pull a few quotes from the Senior Bowl but his tape/production in college never showed a guy with top level speed that could run past guys. He has also been almost purely a possession WR his entire NFL career. Zay might be able to turn his career around but he's never going to be a good deep threat WR, that's not his game. 

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

You can pull a few quotes from the Senior Bowl but his tape/production in college never showed a guy with top level speed that could run past guys. He has also been almost purely a possession WR his entire NFL career. Zay might be able to turn his career around but he's never going to be a good deep threat WR, that's not his game. 

On 11/5/2021 at 9:00 AM, Jeremy408 said:

I'll also say to the most ideal thing for the Raiders to do in the situation would be to get DeSean Jackson as a deep threat and for Zay Jones to step up. 

Of course Odell Beckham Jr. would be my favorite option to happen

^ Try to read it slowly this time