Grading The Bears OL 2022 To Date

soulman

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Wasn't the primary reason he played LT was because Peters was injured or was it in preseason before we even signed Peters and Wilkinson was hurt?  I'm sure playing some snaps at LT hasn't ruined his development as a RT.  Who knows, at some point in his career he may be called upon to play LT again.

Of the many things Nagy can be criticized for this one is like #98 or #99 on my list.

I think you may be missing my point. I never said playing LT ruined Borom. I'm saying Nagy has a bad habit of constantly moving the starting OLineman around instead of keeping them at one position and developing them there and now he has done it again with Borom only 1 game into his career. It's not about one-half of football.....it's about the trajectory of Borom's development that I'm worried about given Nagy's history. If all it took was one injury for Nagy to play Borom at any other position than the one he was initially being developed at in the offseason (RT) then I have no doubt he will do it again--which is NOT what he should be doing.

Whitehair was developed to play C and Nagy moved him LG......back to C......and then back to LG. He drafted Daniels to play C and then moved him LG......then developed him in the offseason to play C and then moved him back to LG........and then moved him again to RG. He signed Ifedi to play RG and then moved him to RT. And now he developed Borom all offseason to play RT and had him playing LT in week 1 at the first sign of an injury.

Injury or not.....this is NOT how you develop a starting OL. That's what depth players are for. The OL is the most team-oriented unit in the league where one bad link can make the rest look bad on any given play (see Mustipher this year and Leno last year). All starters need to be on the same page and you can't build a cohesive unit and trust with your QB when your constantly moving them around.

Maybe when Nagy is fired he should apply to be an OL coach's assistants assistant since he seems to have the method down in developing backup players. Maybe that's really his niche' in football.

Hopefully they keep Borom at RT and don't move him but I have my doubts. To be perfectly honest this is why I was kind of hoping Jenkins would be IR'd for the season just to keep Nagy as far away from him as possible (if Nagy is getting canned).

Edited by JAF-N72EX
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I think you may be missing my point. I never said playing LT ruined Borom. I'm saying Nagy has a bad habit of constantly moving the starting OLineman around instead of keeping them at one position and developing them there and now he has done it again with Borom only 1 game into his career. It's not about one-half of football.....it's about the trajectory of Borom's development that I'm worried about given Nagy's history.

I have a very good answer to this.  Eight more games and Nagy is history.  So I really don't care about the past other than to say I agree with you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I think you may be missing my point. I never said playing LT ruined Borom. I'm saying Nagy has a bad habit of constantly moving the starting OLineman around instead of keeping them at one position and developing them there and now he has done it again with Borom only 1 game into his career. It's not about one-half of football.....it's about the trajectory of Borom's development that I'm worried about given Nagy's history. If all it took was one injury for Nagy to play Borom at any other position than the one he was initially being developed at in the offseason (RT) then I have no doubt he will do it again--which is NOT what he should be doing.

Whitehair was developed to play C and Nagy moved him LG......back to C......and then back to LG. He drafted Daniels to play C and then moved him LG......then developed him in the offseason to play C and then moved him back to LG........and then moved him again to RG. He signed Ifedi to play RG and then moved him to RT. And now he developed Borom all offseason to play RT and had him playing LT in week 1 at the first sign of an injury.

Injury or not.....this is NOT how you develop a starting OL. That's what depth players are for. The OL is the most team-oriented unit in the league where one bad link can make the rest look bad on any given play (see Mustipher this year and Leno last year). All starters need to be on the same page and you can't build a cohesive unit and trust with your QB when your constantly moving them around.

Yep, for as much as I beat the dead horse of college OTs across the board, they need to be locked into one spot. Back ups need to be one swing tackle and one IOL. If you can get the interior OL to be able to be trained as a C then great, if not you may need to get a center specific position.

5 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

LT: Jenkins
LG: Daniels
C:: Whitehair
RG: TBD
RT: Borom

That needs to be our starting 5 next season and keep them there!

What kind of deal would you give Daniels? I'm really thinking a 1 year prove it deal is the most I could do until I see more upside. I think he might have been ruined here. Whitehair's replacement needs to be something to look for too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, soulman said:

I have a very good answer to this.  Eight more games and Nagy is history.  So I really don't care about the past other than to say I agree with you.

I hope so. I just worry that Fields will have 2 breakout games and that'll be enough to justify keeping him around because Nagy chose him. I hope I'm wrong tho.

Kinda off point but I also don't want Fields to have to endure switching OC's every other year during his rookie contract either so....let's just hope Pace (whoever the gm is) can get it right this time around.

5 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Yep, for as much as I beat the dead horse of college OTs across the board, they need to be locked into one spot. Back ups need to be one swing tackle and one IOL. If you can get the interior OL to be able to be trained as a C then great, if not you may need to get a center specific position.

Agreed 100% here. Having flexibility is important and a great asset to have but only for backups. Starters need to be kept at one position. Especially the most important IMO (C, LT, and RT). Centers control the snap count, relay info from the QB, and play an integral part in both passing and run game. Tackles keep your QB clean on passing downs and Guards open up lanes in rushing situations. 

If you look at all the best Olineman in the game they almost never switched positions. Bahktari, Odgen, Roaf, Shields, etc. They were drafted and developed to play a certain position and they stayed there --even thru trials and tribulations. Even as messed up of an organization as the Browns had been, they would've never moved Joe Thomas from that LT spot.

23 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

What kind of deal would you give Daniels? I'm really thinking a 1 year prove it deal is the most I could do until I see more upside. I think he might have been ruined here. Whitehair's replacement needs to be something to look for too.

I'm not as down on him as others are but I would offer a 1 or 2 year deal. I think he's a better player than what he's going to be offered (which may cause him to split and test FA) but his agent doesn't have alot of leverage here either.

Right or wrong, agents typically go into these negotiations with 5 main highlighted points relative to their contemporaries; the amount of Pro Bowls, All-Pros, playoff appearances, reliability(health), and age . And other than age, Daniels doesn't have any of these points working for him right now. Reliability is the best but him missing the majority of last year can easily kill this, even if he does stay healthy the rest of this year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I hope so. I just worry that Fields will have 2 breakout games and that'll be enough to justify keeping him around because Nagy chose him. I hope I'm wrong tho.

Looking at the schedule, and now with Mack out, ARob ailing, EJax just returning, and countless other injuries to come no doubt I will be surprised if we can win more than 3 more games leaving us 6-11 for the season.  Nagy won't survive that no matter what Fields does.