Future Cap Situation

Pastor Dillon

We are positioning ourselves for a possible rebuild this off season. Trading Brown and the extensions we gave before the season started, seem to point towards the direction we are going. We have a lot of vets who arent living up to the contracts they have, and I expect several to be cut.

here is a list of guys we could save money by cutting this off season

Kareem Jackson - savings of 6.75 million

Brian Cushing - savings of 8.5 million

Jeff Allen - savings of 5 million

Lamar Miller - savings of 4.75 million

Derek Newton - savings of 5.5 million

This would effectively wipe out every major contract we have outside of Watt, Clowney and Hopkins. Whiteney Mercilus is another guy we could save 4.2 million by cutting, but his cap hit is well within his projected  value to the team assuming he can make a full recovery this off season.

I like the Jermey Lane trade. He has a 6 million cap hit, but we can waive him and save all 6 million. More than likely we give him the rest of the season to prove himself and we enter next year with Lane and Johnson at CB, with possible a FA pick up. We can also bring back Joseph at a very team friendly deal. 

pick up some help on the o-Line or just go young and draft a 3rd round and 4th round guy

Cush, Newton and Allen definitely need to be cut. 

Jackson if we need the money can be cut but I think getting him into the right position (safety or at least nickel back) he can be non detrimental.

Miller I personally still like. I think we are using him completely wrong. He should be our runner outside on stretch plays maybe counters and be our receiving back. This running him straight into the middle of the line is infuriating especially on downs when it's expected. I don't blame Miller for not "producing" on those plays, that isn't his forte and everyone except BOB seems to know that.

46 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Jackson if we need the money can be cut but I think getting him into the right position (safety or at least nickel back) he can be non detrimental.

Miller I personally still like. I think we are using him completely wrong. He should be our runner outside on stretch plays maybe counters and be our receiving back. This running him straight into the middle of the line is infuriating especially on downs when it's expected. I don't blame Miller for not "producing" on those plays, that isn't his forte and everyone except BOB seems to know that.

Jackson needs to take a pay cut then, because 9 million for a nickel back is way too much. I agree through that he should be playing saftey and hopefully we move him there next to Hal with Lane in the mix now. 

I like Miller too. It all depends on how much spending we want to do this off season. I think we could role with Foreman as our number 1 back and bring in a rookie to compliment him if we need the money. 

I would love to go out and spend some big bucks on the secondary this off season. Get a true shut down CB and a ball hawking Safety. 

Trumaine Johnson will be on the market i think. I would love to make a big splash like him

I really like our D-Line with Watt back at 50% of his former self. It can stop the run. our linebackers will be fine with Clowney/Mercilus/Mckinney/Cunningham/Cole we might bring in another OLB for depth. 

our only 2 needs this off season will be the offensive line and the secondary. I would really like to go young on the O-Line if we can. I like the Davenport/Martin/Mancz trio. We probably need to keep Clark or sign a solid vet LT. I would draft a LG with our 3rd round pick. Maybe take a tackle or another guard with the 4th round pick as well. 

We are set at TE, QB, RB, WR and FB. I might would use a 6th round pick on a RB and a 5th rounder on a Speedy little slot WR. Our other 5th can go for a DE or OLB.  

I kind of wish I trusted our coaching to develop offensive lineman but I don't at all. If I did I may even be willing to try some of the top prospect busts that are coming up but still young like Joeckel, Robinson, or Cooper. But there is no reason to since our coaches can't get out of them what others couldn't

41 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Amen to bolded

Also, next year we are going to need:

- backup QB (vet)

- backup RB (special teamer-type with crazy speed - esp. depending on Ervin)

- LT or RT (depending on Davenport's development)

- swing T

- backup G (probably vet)

- backup NT/ DL depth

- starting outside CB (hopefully JJo returns on 1 year deal and lets a young player develop & learn behind him)

- a true FS centerfielder ballhawk (that we have pretty much always needed)

- maybe a punter as well

I think we cut Cushing & Newton. That would put as about $56M in cap space.

We re-sign JJo (1 year deal), Lechler (1 year deal), Marcus Williams (cheap), Mancz (RFA), Ellington (RFA), Kamalu (ERFA), Moore (ERFA), Thompson (ERFA), Dorian Johnson (ERFA), 

We should have enough $$$ for a couple of splash signings.

Archived