Why Tom Brady needs 13 rings to be a top 3 athlete of all-time

NeptunePenguins

On 12/26/2021 at 12:42 PM, NeptunePenguins said:

but 7.5 billion ppl might disagree

I didn't know Canada had 7.5 billion people. Hockey is the 4th most popular sport in North America and not even close to soccer on a global scale. All things considered it's pretty niche sport that mostly wealthy people sign their kids up for because it's fairly expensive. Gretzky being the best hockey player is pretty debateable anyways. To modern fans who only look at stats, sure whatever. But Orr and Howe exist and they did things that Gretzky couldn't do and a lot of the difference was era where numbers were different. Likewise Gretkzy wouldn't even have the numbers he had back then in either that old era or the current era. I'd rank him the best, but it's not nearly the gap that people who never watched him and only look up his records seem to parrot online nowadays. Pretty much anybody who watched both will tell you it was close between Gretzky and Orr, only people that only watched Gretzky or never watched either will tell you it's some sort of landslide. In fact, you could argue Orr was the more complete player, but Gretzky's offense was so off the charts it was always going to look sexier and obviously Orr had a shorter career. It's kinda like Magic vs Bird. At their absolute best, Bird was better, but Magic was healthier longer and his dynasty lasted longer and sustained more as a result. 

Anyways, I say this with all sincerity, would never put a team sport athlete ahead of a single sport athlete ever in any context. Don't care how much Brady (and I'm a huge Brady stan) or Gretzky or Jordan did. Gretzky never won a title outside of his stacked Oilers teams. Can't compare him to Ali or Federer or Bolt or Phelps. They compete on their own directly against their competition. Baseball is the only team sport you could kinda make a case to put players in because nearly all their numbers are individual achievments (though tbf a pitcher can get credit for a no hitter if an outfielder makes several spectacular plays). 

It's hard enough to compare across era, it's impossible to compare across sports and it's even more impossible to compare someone who does it on their own with someone who does it themselves. Even Jordan never won without Pippen by his side and Jackson who has almost as many titles without him coaching the team.