SNF: WAS @ DAL

JAF-N72EX

1 minute ago, JAF-N72EX said:

7 teams had 4 wins or less that season!  Man, that is nuts.  Talk about a bad time to be bad.

And that draft was not nearly as good as advertised either.  The best first rounder turned out to be Haloti Ngata, and the best player was probably Jhari Evans.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2006/draft.htm

5 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

And that draft was not nearly as good as advertised either.  The best first rounder turned out to be Haloti Ngata, and the best player was probably Jhari Evans.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2006/draft.htm

Haha. Yeah I remember Bears fans slamming the table for Mercedes Lewis, which I always found laughable. But my desired choices weren't much better either lol.

Brick
Whitner
Cromartie kids
Winston Justice
Sinorice Moss
Chad Jackson

^^Those were my top-6 IIRC.

Haha. Yeah I remember Bears fans slamming the table for Mercedes Lewis, which I always found laughable. But my desired choices weren't much better either lol.

Brick
Whitner
Cromartie kids
Winston Justice
Sinorice Moss
Chad Jackson

^^Those were my top-6 IIRC.

Packers fans really wanted Mario Williams because it was a given that Reggie Bush was number 1.  Then Williams turns out to be number 1.  I think there was a little pipe dream of Bush, but that wasn't likely without trading.  We liked Brick, but we didn't really need him, Chad Clifton was still there.  There were rumors that Vernon Davis pulled a 1980s and wouldn't play for Green Bay.  So the real debate was between AJ Hawk and Michael Huff with a slight push for Ngata, but he had medical flags.  

3 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Packers fans really wanted Mario Williams because it was a given that Reggie Bush was number 1.  Then Williams turns out to be number 1.  I think there was a little pipe dream of Bush, but that wasn't likely without trading.  We liked Brick, but we didn't really need him, Chad Clifton was still there.  There were rumors that Vernon Davis pulled a 1980s and wouldn't play for Green Bay.  So the real debate was between AJ Hawk and Michael Huff with a slight push for Ngata, but he had medical flags.  

I still remember when the Packers media were pumping up Hawk to be "the next Urlacher" (this was obviously when the Packers were running a 4-3 defense)

But, yeah it wasn't a very good draft class in hindsight.

I still remember when the Packers media were pumping up Hawk to be "the next Urlacher" (this was obviously when the Packers were running a 4-3 defense)

But, yeah it wasn't a very good draft class in hindsight.

The crazy part was Nick Barnett was already on the team, and probably closer to Urlacher than Hawk ever was.  Hawk was pretty good as the weak side backer, but when we switched to the 3-4 he bulked up and while stronger, was a lot stiffer.  He wasn't bad, but for the number 5 pick, you want more bang for your buck.  It certainly could have been worse though, and there is a strong faction that will claim he was horrible.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

The crazy part was Nick Barnett was already on the team, and probably closer to Urlacher than Hawk ever was.  Hawk was pretty good as the weak side backer, but when we switched to the 3-4 he bulked up and while stronger, was a lot stiffer.  He wasn't bad, but for the number 5 pick, you want more bang for your buck.  It certainly could have been worse though, and there is a strong faction that will claim he was horrible.  

Agreed. Barnett was all over the place as a sideline to sideline LBer and Hawk was a solid player.  He was never the playmaker they had hoped he would be when they drafted him but he was never a liability either.  But like you said, looking at in hindsight, it couldve been much worse.