2021 Season in retrospect Mock Draft

Big T

Starting with the Panthers, it is a game we could have won. We lost 19-14 (1)

Patriots we were outplayed 25-6 outright loss (1)

Broncos 26-0 outright loss (2)

Titans  27-24 first win of the season (gives hope for what can be) (1)

Falcons this is a game we could have won 27-20 (2)

Patriots bow out loss Wilsons worse career game  54-13 (1)

Bengals, Jets win 34-31 (2) second win of the season Mike Whites 15 minutes of fame.

Colts 45-30, outright loss (1)

Bills 45-17 outright loss (1)

Dolphins 24-17 this was a winnable game (1)

Texas we win 24-14. We didn’t play great but a win is a win (3)

Eagles 33-18 outright loss (1)

Saints 30-9 outright loss (1)

Dolphins 31-24 and a winnable game (1)

Jaguars, we won (1)

Tampa Bay 28-24 loss, but if there was a game we should have won it was this game (1)

Bills 27-10 Jets were lucky to even have a team to field last game of the season (1)

So if you do a tally of games we could have won  it would come out to 5 Panthers, Falcons, Dolphins, Dolphins, Tampa Bay….5 games we could have won, combine that with 4 games we did win. And we wind up with a 9-8 record.

Now lets factor in the games lost. 8 of them, 26-0, 54-13, 45-30, 45-17, , 33-18, 30-9, 27-10, only Tampa Bay was the outlier, and at the Bills we were playing 3rd string bench warmers.We were blown out and our defense was atrocious in 6 of these games.

Unacceptable…..now factor in all the passes that were dropped by our WR’s and I think along with Zac’s cutting down on turnovers. That there is much to be enthusiastic about.

If you look back at the terrible year we had and what could have been 9-8 season under Zac &Co. a new coaching regime, a new system, 9 rookies who for the most part started.

Decimated by injuries at key positions it would have been a very successful rookie campaign on all fronts.

So though we have key needs at the WR/TE positions.

The Jets need a desperate overhaul on defense and at key positions like Safety, CB, LB, DT, DE.

Make no mistake about it our defense crippled this team.

If the Jet brass has anything like I posted here as far as the team is concerned then outside of adding a few offensive players like WR/TE.

This years draft should all be about the D.

If the Jets can sign a TE and WR in FA  that are difference makers along with a S or LB.

The draft will go a long way in shoring up the defense.

Now the introspect draft with no trades

Kyle Hamilton S

Jordan Davis DT

Leo Chenal LB

Kinglsey Enagbare DE

Jeremy Ruckert TE

Jerome Ford RB

John Ridgeway DT

Cade Mays OG

Kana’i Mauga LB

Now this is just my take on what the additions to the Jets could look like. It doesn’t reflect what defensive players you make like. But the focus is on changing the defense into an improved unit.

Not a fan. But that’s just my opinion. The offense is no better in this draft. It’d be idiotic to not at least spend 2 of our top 4 picks on offense. You don’t address offense until Round 3. Not smart when you have a young QB. Especially with getting backups in that area. Ruckert and Ford are backups. We need starters.

Overall I just think you think the defense needs a lot more help than the offense and I don’t agree. The defense needs work no question. But really just needs a few players to turn things around. Making sure Wilson is a franchise QB is VASTLY more important than upgrading everywhere on defense.

21 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Not a fan. But that’s just my opinion. The offense is no better in this draft. It’d be idiotic to not at least spend 2 of our top 4 picks on offense. You don’t address offense until Round 3. Not smart when you have a young QB. Especially with getting backups in that area. Ruckert and Ford are backups. We need starters.

Overall I just think you think the defense needs a lot more help than the offense and I don’t agree. The defense needs work no question. But really just needs a few players to turn things around. Making sure Wilson is a franchise QB is VASTLY more important than upgrading everywhere on defense.

Couldn't agree more as far as providing Wilson with some much need help. That is why I pointed out FA and the Jets possibly grabbing a TE and WR who could be difference makers. I do agree that we should add offensive players to help Wilson, but if it is done in FA then the need is moot. The same will hold true if the Jets sign a few good defensive players in FA. 

What I was trying to point out was the liability the defense became, a year ago I believe they were considered a top 11 D. This year if I'm not mistaken they were 29th in points allowed.

Offensively injuries decimated us our top players weren't on the field together for what would amount to an entire game. We have no TE haven't had one in years that we could pose a threat offensively. 

I think that will change in this years draft or in FA, one can only wait and see. But I would be surprised if the Jets didn't make the defense a priority either in the draft or FA. 

But your input is dually noted and appreciated.

17 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

why in the world would the Jets take a DT in the first round.  That's one of, if not the only position, the Jets defense doesn't completely suck at

Exactly. People see we were bad against the run and assume our DTs were awful. When that wasn’t the case. Our LB and S ply was more the issue. DEs didn’t help either and we get Lawson back. And ideally play JFM inside more than DE. LB, DE and S need upgraded, not DT.

58 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Exactly. People see we were bad against the run and assume our DTs were awful. When that wasn’t the case. Our LB and S ply was more the issue. DEs didn’t help either and we get Lawson back. And ideally play JFM inside more than DE. LB, DE and S need upgraded, not DT.

I don't mind a depth guy there later as I could see that a need, but no way is it a priority