Arcane

The Gnat

I'm late to the party, but has anyone watched this animated show on Netflix based off of League of Legends lore?

Six episodes in thus far and really loving it. It gives me a Bioshock Infinite feel in some ways. But it's a really good blend of magicpunk/steampunk and even maybe some cyberpunk. Plus the story has a good intensity to it, and some of the most beautiful animation that I've seen.

• Like 1

Surprised there wasn't a thread for this. I preface this by saying I've never played LoL and I know nothing of the characters, so I had very low expectations going into this, but this show was amazing. From the art style, to the story, the music, the character development, characters, everything. Even with a bit of receny bias, I'd argue this is probably the best animated series I have ever seen. Super pumped for a season 2, whenever that is.

• Like 2

Looking to the future, Riot says that it will continue to partner with animation studio Fortiche for not just Arcane season 2, but other projects:

“Arcane' is the launch pad for what I believe will be many stories," Spenley said. "We're going to double down with Fortiche in building out stories in the 'Arcane' visual style.”

And they are not only limiting themselves to animation, either:

“We're exploring live-action projects and talking to writers and showrunners. We're in the beginning stages of building out the direction we want to take."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2021/11/23/riot-is-planning-much-more-than-just-arcane-season-2/?sh=796d1961206d

8 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Ooh, that's exciting overall. I'll be curious to see what a live action project would look like.

Personally, would love to see Demacia based show. Maybe go with Sylas and Lux featuring Garen and the not yet king Jarvan after his father dies. 

On 1/25/2022 at 9:45 AM, RavensTillIDie said:

Surprised there wasn't a thread for this. I preface this by saying I've never played LoL and I know nothing of the characters, so I had very low expectations going into this, but this show was amazing. From the art style, to the story, the music, the character development, characters, everything. Even with a bit of receny bias, I'd argue this is probably the best animated series I have ever seen. Super pumped for a season 2, whenever that is.

This is me to a tee. Never played the games so went in blind also.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 7:02 AM, Bullet Club said:

I know nothing of LoL but this show was great. The animation gives me Spiderverse vibes except even better, and the characters are great. Jinx is one of my favorite characters of the last few years.

Less shaky cam compared to Spiderverse which I appreciated.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't (and likely won't) played any of the games but this show has definitely led me to dig into the LoL lore. It's a way cooler world than I would've thought rich with tons of sick characters. I'd be super hyped of Lux, Senna, Ezreal or Viago pops up down the line.

• Like 1