Round 1 Pick 15: OG Kenyon Green

Texansfan713

NFL Draft Prospect Profile: Kenyon Green, OL, Illinois

Overview

Guard prospect with NFL-ready frame who plays with an impressive level of consistency as a run blocker. Green moves defenders from Point A to Boint B against their will, using hand technique and road-grading leg drive. He possesses adequate foot quickness to operate in a variety of run schemes, but needs to eliminate his tendency to grab when his opponent is slipping away from the block. He has pop and anchor in pass protection, but lacks recognition and mirror technique needed to be at his best against athletic interior rushers. While Green has some areas to improve, his run blocking can be dominant, which gives him a chance to become a good starter very quickly.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/kenyon-green/32004752-4529-8290-1f10-faef00b12bc2

Edited by Texansfan713

• 4 weeks later...

Not much love here for Green, I can understand many think the slot may have been a little higher for Kenyon, but I think similar to Duane Brown in 2008, those worries will be largely forgotten in a few years time.

Must admit I didn't watch a great deal of tape on him before the draft, but it appears he should help our league worst rushing attack and although it's not his #1 strength he is also capable in pass blocking.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, UKTexans said:

Not much love here for Green, I can understand many think the slot may have been a little higher for Kenyon, but I think similar to Duane Brown in 2008, those worries will be largely forgotten in a few years time.

Must admit I didn't watch a great deal of tape on him before the draft, but it appears he should help our league worst rushing attack and although it's not his #1 strength he is also capable in pass blocking.

At the time - I was licking my wounds on losing out on Kyle Hamilton, who was my BPA and top player in the draft across all positions. Once the Texans drafted Pitre in the 2nd, I was more inclined on the pick.

Green is a massive Earth mover, he locks on and drives people back in the run game with ease and bad intentions. His pass blocking is going to be very suspect early on, but that can be schemed into the offense with shorter drops and quicker decision making from Davis Mills (Deshaun Watson would probably really tank with Green at G, given Watson's propensity for holding onto the ball for too long). 

I'm coming around on the pick - he's probably the best 1st round OL the Texans have drafted since Brown, and probably the best G the team has drafted since Chester Pitts in '02. He's a Day 1 starter, a physical tone setter and the guy who'll probably open the biggest holes for Marlon Mack/Dameon Pierce/Rex Burkhead.

57 minutes ago, UKTexans said:

wow welcome back!