Bears draft C Doug Kramer (Illinois) 207th overall

CBears019

If he's the center of the future then please bring back Grasu now.  There are some things to like (athletisim,speed at the 2nd level) but he seems best fit as a pulling guard. Which isn't a bad thing either. 

He lacks size and strength to be a center in Getsy's (assumed) scheme.  I don't even think Patrick is the preferred size at center either to be honest. But that's the trade off when sacrificing size for speed. 

I think Patrick was brought in because he's played under Getsy before and knows the offense.  And he can call the protection schemes for Fields while he's learning it, taking some pressure off of JF1.  And despite being under sized Lucas fits in the system well.  I feel allright with him in the position.

7 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

If he's the center of the future then please bring back Grasu now.  There are some things to like (athletisim,speed at the 2nd level) but he seems best fit as a pulling guard. Which isn't a bad thing either. 

He lacks size and strength to be a center in Getsy's (assumed) scheme.  I don't even think Patrick is the preferred size at center either to be honest. But that's the trade off when sacrificing size for speed. 

FWIW Corey Linsley was the GB center from 2014-2020 and he’s listed 6’3” 301 lb. Kramer was 6’2” 299 lb at his pro day and has longer arms. Whether that’s Getsy’s preferred size or just one he knows can be sufficient with what he wants his C to do we’ll never know. I’m sure he’d love Kramer’s athletic profile in a guy who’s 6’4” 320 lb, but those guys don’t go 207th overall either. Athletically Kramer and Linsley very similar though. Linsley showed better bench strength during the pre-draft process, but strength can be added in the offseason program, and maybe already has been to some extent.

I don’t think the expectation for anyone should be that Kramer is the future of the position unless he shows himself worthy though. Given his draft position he’s certainly not going to be handed anything other than an opportunity to compete. If Kramer is a 4-year capable depth piece that’s a pretty solid add in R6 IMO. 

12 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

FWIW Corey Linsley was the GB center from 2014-2020 and he’s listed 6’3” 301 lb. Kramer was 6’2” 299 lb at his pro day and has longer arms. Whether that’s Getsy’s preferred size or just one he knows can be sufficient with what he wants his C to do we’ll never know. I’m sure he’d love Kramer’s athletic profile in a guy who’s 6’4” 320 lb, but those guys don’t go 207th overall either. Athletically Kramer and Linsley very similar though. Linsley showed better bench strength during the pre-draft process, but strength can be added in the offseason program, and maybe already has been to some extent.

I don’t think the expectation for anyone should be that Kramer is the future of the position unless he shows himself worthy though. Given his draft position he’s certainly not going to be handed anything other than an opportunity to compete. If Kramer is a 4-year capable depth piece that’s a pretty solid add in R6 IMO. 

AQbDt1C.png

Linsley only played 2 years (2019, 2020) under the new regime in GB (Gute/Lafluer/Hackett/Getsy) and that was largely due to contract obligation because the former regime had just given him a 3/26 extension in 2018 so they had to roll with him as a stop gap. When his contract was up after the 2020 season they didn't even try to negotiate an extension and decided to let him walk to free agency. To me that says a lot about the type of direction they were already planning to go because Linsley is no slouch. They even signed 6'5 310 Elgton Jenkins in the 2nd round during their first draft in 2019. 

If you look at the center's GB has drafted/signed under Lafluer they are all 6'4-6'5; Elgton Jenkins (6'5 310), Jake Hanson (6'4 304), Josh Meyers (6'5 310).  Same with Shanny; Ben Garland (6'5 308), Alex Mack (6'4 311), Jake Brendel (6'4 299), Weston Richburg (6'4 290), Spencer Burford (6'4 304).

It's all speculation at this point but his seems to be the preferred size and weight based on the reports, this years draft choices (all OL drafted were 6'5+ except Kramer), and Getsy's ties with Lefluer/Shanny offenses-- who also like to sacrifice weight for speed in order to run the outside zone and power zone to get guys on the move at the 2nd level to pave the way for runners instead of relying on cement feet to pin and pull.

I think they settled for Patrick as a cheap 1 year stop gap at center and a potential replacement for Whitehair at guard next year (after they trade/release him) in case none of the draftees are ready and they will look for a future center in free agency or the draft. This leaves 6'3 Kramer vying for one of the spots at guard after 6'2 Musty is gone.

11 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

It's all speculation at this point but his seems to be the preferred size and weight based on the reports, this years draft choices (all OL drafted were 6'5+ except Kramer), and Getsy's ties with Lefluer/Shanny offenses-- who also like to sacrifice weight for speed in order to run the outside zone and power zone to get guys on the move at the 2nd level to pave the way for runners instead of relying on cement feet to pin and pull.

I think they settled for Patrick as a cheap 1 year stop gap at center and a potential replacement for Whitehair at guard next year (after they trade/release him) in case none of the draftees are ready and they will look for a future center in free agency or the draft. This leaves 6'3 Kramer vying for one of the spots at guard after 6'2 Musty is gone.

Agree to speculation. And really, we may be looking at the wrong guy with Getsy anyway. He may say what kind of OL scheme we want to run but it may be more Chris Morgan’s call as the OL coach for what he wants to put it in place.

I don’t care. Just make it work lol. 

13 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Agree to speculation. And really, we may be looking at the wrong guy with Getsy anyway. He may say what kind of OL scheme we want to run but it may be more Chris Morgan’s call as the OL coach for what he wants to put it in place.

I don’t care. Just make it work lol. 

Agreed. With all the what ifs in play, I'm personally not gonna judge the OL (or offense in general) too much this season because the entire personnel and make-up may look totally different in year 2 . This is when I think we really start to see what Getsy/staff had envisioned for this offense.