NBA Offseason Thread: Durant will remain in Brooklyn

NYRaider

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

The Lakers are going to land Kyrie and Buddy for Russ and 2 unprotected picks in 5/7 years? Would be the greatest heist in NBA trade history considering the Rockets wanted Russ + draft capital for John Wall.

Buddy Hield is a bad contract.  He was salary dumped so that the Pacers could get Haliburton.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Rudy Gobert isn't one of the worst contracts in the NBA...

Rudy just turned 30 years old and has 4 years/$170M remaining on his deal. He's set to make $38M, $41M, $44M, and $46M over the next four years. We've seen numerous bigs decline rapidly around his age and his game is built purely on size/athleticism. Paying 33/34 year old Rudy $44/46M is extremely risky.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Buddy Hield is a bad contract.  He was salary dumped so that the Pacers could get Haliburton.

The Pacers are currently $30M under the cap this year and almost $80M under the cap next year with no big extensions coming up. Buddy's deal is also declining, he's at $21M/$19M the next two years, what's the rush to sell him off for a pick in half a decade?

"Also, the Nets have no interest in accommodating Kyrie Irving. They have no interest in doing it. If it comes up maybe a three-team trade or a four-team trade to get the Nets satisfied with what they want. To get them maybe a start. To take draft picks from Phoenix and reroute them somewhere else... Kyrie might get thrown into that four-team trade just as salary ballast. He's going to be used a tool to help the Nets. He is not going to be used for a player to trade for value. Very unlikely you're going to get anything of value. Maybe a draft pick or two. And he's not going to be used to accommodate. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The Pacers are currently $30M under the cap this year and almost $80M under the cap next year with no big extensions coming up. Buddy's deal is also declining, he's at $21M/$19M the next two years, what's the rush to sell him off for a pick in half a decade?

I mean, paying him $40M over the next 2 years to eat up minutes from their young guys seems like a great idea when you're rebuilding.

Just now, CWood21 said:

I mean, paying him $40M over the next 2 years to eat up minutes from their young guys seems like a great idea when you're rebuilding.

You don't think they can get better value than a 1st round pick in 5-7 years? Lakers fans crack me up because you guys act like the NBA owes it to you to just give you talent for crap returns.

You don't think they can get better value than a 1st round pick in 5-7 years? Lakers fans crack me up because you guys act like the NBA owes it to you to just give you talent for crap returns.

What exactly do you think Buddy Hield's value is?  Legitimately asking, what do you think he's worth.

Just now, CWood21 said:

What exactly do you think Buddy Hield's value is?  Legitimately asking, what do you think he's worth.

I'm not sure, I'm just curious as to how you do player evaluations since Donovan (who was ranked as the 11th most valuable trade asset in the NBA) only nets you DeAndre Ayton. But Russell Westbrook nets you Buddy/Kyrie when the Rockets wanted Westbrook/picks for John Wall who they just eventually bought out.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I'm not sure, I'm just curious as to how you do player evaluations since Donovan (who was ranked as the 11th most valuable trade asset in the NBA) only nets you DeAndre Ayton. But Russell Westbrook nets you Buddy/Kyrie when the Rockets wanted Westbrook/picks for John Wall who they just eventually bought out.

Here's my general rule of thumb.  If your team could take the player straight in without needing to give up picks to acquire that player or needing picks to take on said player, those players are neutral value.  If you're going to ask for picks in return for taking on that player, that's negative value.  If you're having to give up pick to acquire that player, you're talking about positive value.  A guy like Donovan Mitchell is someone that EVERYONE would jump at, and you'  need to give up picks to acquire him so he's a guy with positive trade value.  How many teams are jumping at the opportunity to pay  Buddy Hield $40M over the next 2 years?  I can't imagine the list is very long.  And then there's the contract mathcing portion.

In terms of value, I'd have Donovan Mitchell >>> (probably not enough tbh) over DeAndre Ayton.  I'm not a huge DeAndre Ayton fan.

Here's my general rule of thumb.  If your team could take the player straight in without needing to give up picks to acquire that player or needing picks to take on said player, those players are neutral value.  If you're going to ask for picks in return for taking on that player, that's negative value.  If you're having to give up pick to acquire that player, you're talking about positive value.  A guy like Donovan Mitchell is someone that EVERYONE would jump at, and you'  need to give up picks to acquire him so he's a guy with positive trade value.  How many teams are jumping at the opportunity to pay  Buddy Hield $40M over the next 2 years?  I can't imagine the list is very long.  And then there's the contract mathcing portion.

In terms of value, I'd have Donovan Mitchell >>> (probably not enough tbh) over DeAndre Ayton.  I'm not a huge DeAndre Ayton fan.

You just said you don't see anyway that we can land Ayton without giving up Donovan. Draft capital and expiring deals in a multi year team deal gets it done if those draft assets are rerouted to the Nets. 

Considering the Nets seem unlikely to even get a package they want for Durant, have zero interest in Russ, and don't want to accommodate Kyrie, I just don't really see how the Lakers land him. I'd bet that KD/Kyrie are both in Brooklyn this season.

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

You just said you don't see anyway that we can land Ayton without giving up Donovan. Draft capital and expiring deals in a multi year team deal gets it done if those draft assets are rerouted to the Nets. 

Considering the Nets seem unlikely to even get a package they want for Durant, have zero interest in Russ, and don't want to accommodate Kyrie, I just don't really see how the Lakers land him. I'd bet that KD/Kyrie are both in Brooklyn this season.

Yes.  If Ayton gets S&Ted, he triggers the BYC clause which means that it affects how his contract is valued in trades.  For outgoing salaries, he'd only count at 50% of what his new salary is.  But the team acquiring him would count him at the full $30.5M.  That means for Phoenix he'd only count $15.25M in terms of outgoing salary.  Things get even more complicated the more you loop teams in.

Yes.  If Ayton gets S&Ted, he triggers the BYC clause which means that it affects how his contract is valued in trades.  For outgoing salaries, he'd only count at 50% of what his new salary is.  But the team acquiring him would count him at the full $30.5M.  That means for Phoenix he'd only count $15.25M in terms of outgoing salary.  Things get even more complicated the more you loop teams in.

The Jazz can likely get a haul of young players and unprotected picks from other teams for Donovan, no way they'd move him for Ayton. Hollinger outlined how we could move like $20M in expiring deals plus picks to help facilitate a trade.

The Jazz can likely get a haul of young players and unprotected picks from other teams for Donovan, no way they'd move him for Ayton. Hollinger outlined how we could move like $20M in expiring deals plus picks to help facilitate a trade.

I think the only variation of Donovan/Ayton swap that might make sense is if Simmons is coming back.