NBA Offseason Thread: Durant will remain in Brooklyn

NYRaider

8 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Lakers would have to throw in Stanley Johnson/Wenyen Gabriel and Kendrick Nunn for salary matching purposes and I could see the Nets preferring them over THT if they just want to save money, since both are expirings and THT has another year at over $10m.

It worked in the trade machine, but throwing in Gabriel would be easy if necessary.

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Assuming my math is correct, Westbrook for Irving/Harris works financially.  It adds an additional $8.5M in salary and subsequent luxury tax.

True. 125% + $100k is $58,850,000 that the Lakers could take in trading Westbrook's $47,000,000. The only issue is, without sending that salary back, the Lakers are spending an addition $20-$25m in luxury tax. The question then becomes do you pay the addition money to avoid dealing another pick outright?

Edited by beekay414

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

True. 125% + $100k is $58,850,000 that the Lakers could take in trading Westbrook's $47,000,000. The only issue is, without sending that salary back, the Lakers are spending an addition $20-$25m in luxury tax. The question then becomes do you pay the addition money to avoid dealing another pick outright?

Kinda my train of thought.  I think it's going to be one of two things happening.  Either Joe Harris is the salary ballast to make the money work, and the Lakers give up less in terms of draft picks.  Or they include Seth Curry, and they give up more picks.  Personally, I'd rather go with Joe Harris and give up less picks, but it's also not my money.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Kinda my train of thought.  I think it's going to be one of two things happening.  Either Joe Harris is the salary ballast to make the money work, and the Lakers give up less in terms of draft picks.  Or they include Seth Curry, and they give up more picks.  Personally, I'd rather go with Joe Harris and give up less picks, but it's also not my money.

I think, if I'm the Nets, I keep Curry to move him for a pick that's closer in the future and get out of the Harris deal, if they have those concerns that he may not be effective coming back from that injury.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

I think, if I'm the Nets, I keep Curry to move him for a pick that's closer in the future and get out of the Harris deal, if they have those concerns that he may not be effective coming back from that injury.

If you're the Nets, do you prefer Westbrook/'27 FRP/'29 FRP for Irving/Curry, or do you take Westbrook/'27 FRP for Irving/Harris?

EDIT: More protection on the Harris trade, virtually no protection on the Curry trade.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

If you're the Nets, do you prefer Westbrook/'27 FRP/'29 FRP for Irving/Curry, or do you take Westbrook/'27 FRP for Irving/Harris?

EDIT: More protection on the Harris trade, virtually no protection on the Curry trade.

I think the answer is obvious, at least for me. Curry's worth more than a 29 1st Rounder.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I think the answer is obvious, at least for me. Curry's worth more than a 29 1st Rounder.

For the Lakers, they actually save about $2M by doing Westbrook for Irving/Curry trade, but then they completely empty their draft capital and their roster is pretty much as is.  There have been enough reports that the Lakers believe they can add shooters via trade.

Two variations of the same trade.  Which one is the best?

LA Lakers Get:
PG Kyrie Irving
SG Buddy Hield

Brooklyn Nets Get:
PG Russell Westbrook
'23 FRP (via CLE from IND)
'27 FRP (via LAL)
'28 FRP Pick Swap (via LAL)
'29 FRP (via LAL)

Indiana Pacers Get:
PG Kendrick Nunn
SG Seth Curry

Lakers obviously get their startng backcourt here, and they give up cap flexibility and all remaining draft picks.  Nets eat an additional $1.6M in salary, but get all the remaining FRPs from Los Angeles and a FRP from Cleveland.  For the Pacers, they save nearly $7.5M this year and clear Buddy Hield's contract off the book.

OR

LA Lakers Get:
PG Kyrie Irving
SG Buddy Hield

Brooklyn Nets Get:
PG Kendrick Nunn
PG Russell Westbrook
'27 FRP (via LAL)

Indiana Pacers Get:
SG Joe Harris
'29 FRP (via LAL)

Same reasoning for the Lakers.  The Nets save about $3.2M in this deal plus the luxury tax savings and they clear long-term salary with Joe Harris, but they get less draft capital in return.  The Pacers save $2.5M this year and turn Hield into a slightly cheaper version of himself for some extra draft capital.

30 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

For the Lakers, they actually save about $2M by doing Westbrook for Irving/Curry trade, but then they completely empty their draft capital and their roster is pretty much as is.  There have been enough reports that the Lakers believe they can add shooters via trade.

If the Lakers trade Russ and two picks what do they have left to trade?

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Two variations of the same trade.  Which one is the best?

LA Lakers Get:
PG Kyrie Irving
SG Buddy Hield

Brooklyn Nets Get:
PG Russell Westbrook
'23 FRP (via CLE from IND)
'27 FRP (via LAL)
'29 FRP (via LAL)

Indiana Pacers Get:
PG Kendrick Nunn
SG Seth Curry

Lakers obviously get their startng backcourt here, and they give up cap flexibility and all remaining draft picks.  Nets eat an additional $1.6M in salary, but get all the remaining FRPs from Los Angeles and a FRP from Cleveland.  For the Pacers, they save nearly $7.5M this year and clear Buddy Hield's contract off the book.

OR

LA Lakers Get:
PG Kyrie Irving
SG Buddy Hield

Brooklyn Nets Get:
PG Kendrick Nunn
PG Russell Westbrook
'27 FRP (via LAL)

Indiana Pacers Get:
SG Joe Harris
'29 FRP (via LAL)

Same reasoning for the Lakers.  The Nets save about $3.2M in this deal plus the luxury tax savings and they clear long-term salary with Joe Harris, but they get less draft capital in return.  The Pacers save $2.5M this year and turn Hield into a slightly cheaper version of himself for some extra draft capital.

Jazz trying to move Bojan Buckets, give us THT and a pick.

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

You guys can only trade 2027, 2028 swap, and 2029.

Don't quote me on it, but I believe they could do pick swaps with the picks they swapped with New Orleans.  New Orleans gets first dibs on the LAL/NOP picks, and then the other team could swap picks if they wanted.