NBA Offseason Thread: Durant will remain in Brooklyn

NYRaider

Considering the Suns are likely out of the KD sweepstakes this weekend with Ayton likely moving on and the Nets having no interest in him, I really don't see KD or Kyrie moving on. They'll be back in Brooklyn.

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

If the Nets were super concerned about cap space they wouldn't have traded for Royce, resigned Claxton/Mills way above the minimum, want to keep Harris, or signed Warren. If they're not getting anything back for him why not just let him ride the pine and then move on next year? I don't think there owner wants to accommodate his desire to play for the Lakers, especially if they're not getting 1/2 first round picks back. The Lakers have their firsts for the foreseeable future outside of 2024/2025. 

Teams do stupid stuff all the time.  Why are the Nets the exception?  I think they want to put together a competitive roster, and I think they want draft picks in return.  So how about this compromise?

LA Lakers Receive:
PG Kyrie Irving
SG Josh Richardson

Brooklyn Nets Receive:
PF Doug McDermott
'28 FRP Pick Swap
'27/'29 FRP (Nets' choice)

San Antonio Spurs Receive:
PG Russell Westbrook
'27/'29 FRP

Just now, CWood21 said:

Teams do stupid stuff all the time.  Why are the Nets the exception?  I think they want to put together a competitive roster, and I think they want draft picks in return.  So how about this compromise?

LA Lakers Receive:
PG Kyrie Irving
SG Josh Richardson

Brooklyn Nets Receive:
PF Doug McDermott
'28 FRP Pick Swap
'27/'29 FRP (Nets' choice)

San Antonio Spurs Receive:
PG Russell Westbrook
'27/'29 FRP

Having to take back McDermott prevents them from that huge trade exception though. When was the last time an NBA team traded away a top 20 player in their prime for literally nothing in return? lol

Just now, NYRaider said:

Having to take back McDermott prevents them from that huge trade exception though. When was the last time an NBA team traded away a top 20 player in their prime for literally nothing in return? lol

It's still a pretty substantial TPE.  That's a nearly $23.2M TPE, which gets you pretty much any non-max contract. When was the last time a prime top 20 player pretty much killed their trade value?  I'd argue that I don't think the NBA has had a player whose on-court value and trade value were so substantially different.

Just now, CWood21 said:

It's still a pretty substantial TPE.  That's a nearly $23.2M TPE, which gets you pretty much any non-max contract. When was the last time a prime top 20 player pretty much killed their trade value?  I'd argue that I don't think the NBA has had a player whose on-court value and trade value were so substantially different.

The Nets owner doesn't strike me as the type that's going to do Kyrie any favors after he essentially tanked their season last year and is costing them Durant after they already leveraged all of their future draft capital for James Harden. We've never seen a team even use a huge TPE because most teams aren't willing to give up players on big deals purely for draft capital unless they're a negative asset. 

If the Lakers want Kyrie it's going to cost them 2 first round picks and reportedly LeBron is going to use his impending extension as leverage against the Lakers. Being hell bent on keeping picks in 2027/2029 for guys that are currently in middle school when you have LeBron under contract for a year would be foolish. Especially since the Lakers will still have 1st round picks in 2023, 2024/2025, and 2026. 

I can’t articulate how little LeBron cares about the Lakers’ 2029 first-round pick. He could not care less about it. He wants to win tonight and Kyrie Irving gives him a chance to win tonight. We are in a moment right now where teams are pushing back against player empowerment. Now the Lakers are staring at this. Are they honestly going to push back on LeBron James if he’s sitting there with the pen ready to sign an extension making sure the Lakers remain highly relevant and a championship contender for the next two years?

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The Nets owner doesn't strike me as the type that's going to do Kyrie any favors after he essentially tanked their season last year and is costing them Durant after they already leveraged all of their future draft capital for James Harden. We've never seen a team even use a huge TPE because most teams aren't willing to give up players on big deals purely for draft capital unless they're a negative asset. 

If the Lakers want Kyrie it's going to cost them 2 first round picks and reportedly LeBron is going to use his impending extension as leverage against the Lakers. Being hell bent on keeping picks in 2027/2029 for guys that are currently in middle school when you have LeBron under contract for a year would be foolish. Especially since the Lakers will still have 1st round picks in 2023, 2024/2025, and 2026. 

He also doesn't strike me as the type of owners who is going to be fond of paying someone to sit home while they collect paychecks either.  I'm going based off his most recent comments about wanting a team that plays hard and they're fun to support.  That doesn't sound like their current team.  And as I mentioned, that MASSIVE TPE along with any draft picks in a Durant trade could create a TON of maneuverability for the Nets.  The possibilities are virtually endless.

And you make it sound so black and white.  It's like an onion.  There are layers to this.  The Lakers don't want Josh Harris' contract, and the Nets reportedly don't want to give him up.  The Nets don't want to give up Seth Curry, and reportedly don't want Westbrook.  That's why we're talking about potential 3 team trades.

7 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

The Nets leverage is that the Lakers suck, Lebron is old, and Lebron doesn't want the Lakers to suck. 

Yep.  And the Lakers' leverage is there's literally no other suitors for Kyrie.

9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I can’t articulate how little LeBron cares about the Lakers’ 2029 first-round pick. He could not care less about it. He wants to win tonight and Kyrie Irving gives him a chance to win tonight. We are in a moment right now where teams are pushing back against player empowerment. Now the Lakers are staring at this. Are they honestly going to push back on LeBron James if he’s sitting there with the pen ready to sign an extension making sure the Lakers remain highly relevant and a championship contender for the next two years?

NOBODY is suggesting otherwise.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

So the Lakers should stop playing around and just give the Nets their 2027/2029 1sts for Kyrie and Seth.

Last report suggested the Nets didn't have any interest in giving up Seth.