NBA Offseason Thread: Durant will remain in Brooklyn

NYRaider

30 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I wouldn't do that if I was the Nets.  Maybe for the Nets if Kuminga is there instead of Moody but then I wouldnt as the Warriors.  It would be selling the future for 2 more years of winning.  Which isnt awful but at the same time potentially toxic.  I get Wiggins is a free agent after this year but if they want to keep him and spend the money, I dont see him leaving.  

I agree on the others.  I think the Nets best option is to just make them play together for a year.  If they lose out on Kyrie, oh well, or try to flip at the deadline if you want future assets and things arent gelling.  Maybe Ben regains value and is either worth keeping or is tradable next year.  Maybe all is well and they figure it out and this is all just offseason fluff.  But trading KD for a package of Herro and some picks is just stupid IMO.  I agree the Raptors could give some nice pieces but again, I wouldn't trade the ROY on a nice contract for 4 years and other young talent to get KD.  And If I am the nets I am not trading him without Barnes or Siakam coming back with OG and picks.  

I actually don't even think they could trade for Wiggins unless they also moved Ben Simmons so that basically eliminates the Warriors as a realistic trade partner as well.  

Unless they warm up to DeAndre Ayton by the end of this weekend the Suns are basically out of it. The Heat's package is garbage and if the Suns are out it also gives Toronto all the leverage in any potential deal for him because they'll know that the Nets are basically out of options. 

I think the Nets will realize there isn't a package out there worth taking and will cave in/give Kyrie an extension. They've already leveraged all of their future draft capital so there's really no incentive or benefit to tanking.

It seems pretty ironic to me though that the Nets essentially outpriced every potential KD suitor on their own with their trade demands to Minnesota. They asked for KD/Edwards/4 1sts which caused the Wolves to panic and send off 5 for Rudy Gobert.

Edited by NYRaider

6 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Giving up Seth just so you want Kyrie gone should have FBI pulling up to Nets headquarters and arresting Tsai and Marks.

We're talking about Seth, not Steph.  Don't be dramatic.

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Lakers fans think that every NBA team should just give up their stars for bad contracts/no draft picks because they're the Lakers, duh. The Nets should give up Kyrie/Seth's expirings to take on Westbrook's expiring because that's what LeBron wants.

Don't be dramatic.  Lakers' fans are just as unrealistic/realistic as others are.  As I asked you before, name me an NBA player who has such a drastic variance between on-court and trade value?  A single example.  The problem in a straight Brooklyn/LA Lakers trade, the Nets need to add another ~650k without going salary in order to take back on Russell Westbrook.  That list includes Joe Harris, Seth Curry, Cameron Thomas, and Day'Ron Sharpe.  But if they're not getting Thomas or Sharpe, why should they include a SECOND FRP when they're bidding against themselves?

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I'd bet money that the Nets don't trade Kyrie before Durant. The roadmap is already clear for what it'd take if they decide to move on and they're likely asking for the only two picks that the Lakers can trade. If they don't receive those picks what's their motivation to take back Russ who makes more and is also an expiring deal?

There's really nothing forcing the Nets to move Durant, he's still under contract for four more years and he's never done anything to suggest that he's wiling to miss games to get his trade.  That's a very slow timeline to play out.  Kyrie has shown a willingness to sit out, and he's only under contract for 1 more year.  Unless the Nets suddenly change directions, and try and run it back it makes absolutely no sense to keep Irving.

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

You act like Kyrie didn't play last year due to basketball reasons or beef with the team, he didn't play because he wasn't vaccinated. The Nets also saved $17M because he chose not to play and would save an additional $36M this upcoming season if he sits out. Technically he hasn't even demanded a trade, his only beef with the Nets has been that he wants an extension and they're not willing to give it to him. If money wasn't a factor for him he would've just opted out and signed the MLE with the Lakers. 

He might have been fined, but the Nets were still paying the luxury tax on him last year despite him sitting in street clothes.  And let's not pretend like Kyrie is going paycheck to paycheck.

54 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

We're talking about Seth, not Steph.  Don't be dramatic.

You don't think there's a team that would trade a 2023 1st for Seth Curry's $8M expiring deal? He shot 42% on 6 3PA last season so he can help literally any contending team in the NBA and they'd get an asset that helps them in the near future.

47 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

There's really nothing forcing the Nets to move Durant, he's still under contract for four more years and he's never done anything to suggest that he's wiling to miss games to get his trade.  That's a very slow timeline to play out.  Kyrie has shown a willingness to sit out, and he's only under contract for 1 more year.  Unless the Nets suddenly change directions, and try and run it back it makes absolutely no sense to keep Irving.

So if they're unable to move Durant what do you think is the better option in terms of trying to be competitive and keeping him happy?

Option A - Extend Irving and solve the original issue that started all of this.

Option B - Hold onto Irving and force him to play out the last year of his contract while also keeping two of their best role players in Curry/Harris.

Option C - Trade Irving and one of Curry/Harris for Russell Westbrook.

Just now, NYRaider said:

You don't think there's a team that would trade a 2023 1st for Seth Curry's $8M expiring deal? He shot 42% on 6 3PA last season so he can help literally any contending team in the NBA and they'd get an asset that helps them in the near future.

A heavily protected FRP?  Maybe.  Go back to the last trade involving Seth Curry that wasn't the Ben Simmons deal.  The Mavericks traded Seth Curry to Philadelphia for Josh Richardson and the draft rights to Tyler Bey who was the 36th pick a few months prior.  The Sixers salary dumped Richardson and gave up a reasonably high recent SRP for Seth Curry.  That suggests that Curry isn't overly valuable.  If you're talking about a top 20 protected FPR that converts into a SRP or cash, sure.  Anything more?  Absolutely not.  He's an auxiliary piece.  Nothing more.

42 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

He might have been fined, but the Nets were still paying the luxury tax on him last year despite him sitting in street clothes.  And let's not pretend like Kyrie is going paycheck to paycheck.

They're going to be in the luxury tax regardless unless by some miracle they're able to unload his contract without taking any money back. Even the TPE is meh in value because the second they use it they're right back into the luxury tax. Kyrie isn't living paycheck to paycheck but sacrificing $50M over the course of 2 seasons when he just lost his biggest revenue stream would be insane. Especially when he's headed for the twilight of his career and would be mad the Nets refused to trade him after he literally just opted in. What's better the $0 he'd make sitting out for the Nets or the $6M he could've hypothetically made if he opted out and just signed with the Lakers? 

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

So if they're unable to move Durant what do you think is the better option in terms of trying to be competitive and keeping him happy?

Option A - Extend Irving and solve the original issue that started all of this.

Option B - Hold onto Irving and force him to play out the last year of his contract while also keeping two of their best role players in Curry/Harris.

Option C - Trade Irving and one of Curry/Harris for Russell Westbrook.

It's kinda hard to put toothpaste back into the container when it's out there.  Between the Durant request and the comments from owner Joe Tsai about wanting a hard-working, blue-collar team I just don't see how the Nets can backtrack and get both Kyrie Irving and Kevin Durant to buy into the Nets again.  If I were a Nets' fan, that's absolutely what I'd want because the Nets aren't going to get the haul that they thought they'd be getting by moving Kevin Durant.  There's a reason why we keep hearing that the Nets aren't getting the package they're wanting.  Kevin Durant turns 34 years old later this year, played in 90 games over the last 3 seasons, and he's due $194M over the next 4 years.  Oh, and the Nets want to pillage the other teams' roster for the maximum amount of assets, but you also have to leave enough for Kevin Durant to feel like he can win.  Who can offer that?

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

A heavily protected FRP?  Maybe.  Go back to the last trade involving Seth Curry that wasn't the Ben Simmons deal.  The Mavericks traded Seth Curry to Philadelphia for Josh Richardson and the draft rights to Tyler Bey who was the 36th pick a few months prior.  The Sixers salary dumped Richardson and gave up a reasonably high recent SRP for Seth Curry.  That suggests that Curry isn't overly valuable.  If you're talking about a top 20 protected FPR that converts into a SRP or cash, sure.  Anything more?  Absolutely not.  He's an auxiliary piece.  Nothing more.

The 76ers were trying to clear house that offseason when Morey took over and also traded away Al Horford. Richardson was due for an extension and was literally the main piece that the team got back when they traded Jimmy Butler to Miami. Curry has also improved by leaps and bounds over the past couple of seasons, he was a bench player in Dallas and has been a full time starter for the 76ers/Nets and one of the best shooters in the league on a very cheap, expiring contract.

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

It's kinda hard to put toothpaste back into the container when it's out there.  Between the Durant request and the comments from owner Joe Tsai about wanting a hard-working, blue-collar team I just don't see how the Nets can backtrack and get both Kyrie Irving and Kevin Durant to buy into the Nets again.  If I were a Nets' fan, that's absolutely what I'd want because the Nets aren't going to get the haul that they thought they'd be getting by moving Kevin Durant.  There's a reason why we keep hearing that the Nets aren't getting the package they're wanting.  Kevin Durant turns 34 years old later this year, played in 90 games over the last 3 seasons, and he's due $194M over the next 4 years.  Oh, and the Nets want to pillage the other teams' roster for the maximum amount of assets, but you also have to leave enough for Kevin Durant to feel like he can win.  Who can offer that?

Joe Tsai has never publicly commented on any of this or either player. That statement came from Brian Windhorst who also said that he'd be shocked if Donovan Mitchell didn't request a trade and then literally within days it has come out that he has no interest in doing it. I wonder why Windhorst, aka LeBron's media guy, would have a vested interest in accelerating a KD/Irving breakup in Brooklyn? 

No one can offer the Nets the package that they want and if Ayton makes a decision this weekend then the Suns (his preferred choice) are out of the running. So what's the rush if you're Brooklyn to move Irving until the KD situation is resolved? And if it isn't resolved what's the benefit of trading Kyrie and pissng Durant off even more when you know you're keeping him?

Edited by NYRaider

9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

They're going to be in the luxury tax regardless unless by some miracle they're able to unload his contract without taking any money back. Even the TPE is meh in value because the second they use it they're right back into the luxury tax. Kyrie isn't living paycheck to paycheck but sacrificing $50M over the course of 2 seasons when he just lost his biggest revenue stream would be insane. Especially when he's headed for the twilight of his career and would be mad the Nets refused to trade him after he literally just opted in. What's better the $0 he'd make sitting out for the Nets or the $6M he could've hypothetically made if he opted out and just signed with the Lakers? 

Kyrie's career earnings are around $170M I believe.  He's not bleeding for cash in the slightest.  Again, it's not about how much he'd make by opting out.  It's about the Lakers retaining his Bird Rights.  If they have his bird rights, he can make $70M more than he can as a FA.

And you're looking at this way to transactionally.  Sometimes you have step back and look at the bigger picture.  Let's say hypothetically they use that TPE to acquire someone like Kristaps Porzingis or Gordon Hayward and getting back some draft picks for taking on those salaries.  Next offseason (assuming no Durant deal is stuck), we could be looking at a Lillard trade request with the Nets armed with a MASSIVE expiring contract and a boatload of picks.  That's going to be pretty appealing to Portland if Dame wants out.

2 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Lowe said Suns haven't even offered 4 1sts yet. 

Honestly, I'm not sure it's coming.  Everyone is waiting for an Anthony Davis-like offer to come, and I really don't think it's coming.