GDT - Preseason Week 2 - Sam Darnold comes to town

Deadpulse

10 hours ago, m haynes said:

Hines 63 is killing it. Balance quick smart impressive.

If he hadn't missed half of camp I honestly think he could be competing for starting RG. I didn't get a good look at him in last nights game but I was super excited when he got drafted. 

Based off reports and these two preseason games.. I think BB has some incredibly hard cuts to make. I believe he's going to have a bunch of positions where he could go with a veteran who is better now but will strongly consider a rookie/young guy who could be better by the end of the season or with a year in the system. That could mean taking a step back this year but seeing major improvements long term. If this is a bridge year for the offense we could see him go full force into the youth movement. 

QB: 

- Zappe is pretty fun to watch, he's all over the place sometimes but still interesting backup option. Wish they could cut Hoyer to save the spot but they 100% need him as a coach. 

RB: 

- Kevin Harris needs to go on IR, he has potential and could be helpful if Damien is gone next year but they just don't have room for him

- Strong will make the roster and hopefully look better once the OL comes together more. 

WR: 

- I really wanted Nixon to work out.. but he's looking more and more like a AAAA guy. I think they will end up needing to find their future slot in the draft next year. 

- Bourne will be fine.. not worried there, seems like more of a gameday guy than a training camp guy 

- Agholor isn't leaving .. especially with Thornton potentially hurt 

- I thought Meyers could get traded.. but with how rough the offense is.. I'm sure Mac is going to throw him 8 balls a game the first half of the year as a safety valve till things come together more 

- Wilkerson isn't making the team.. his special teams value won't be enough with other Special Teams guys and he's not a good enough WR

TE: 

- Smith and Henry are locks.. but we've got some concerns about Henry's health.. especially if they want to focus on 2 TE formations to help the OL 

- Lil' Jordan Humphrey may make this team.. and if he does, I think it's as the 3rd TE .. a flex guy who they work on his blocking more throughout the season. He's a better catching option than Asiasi / Keene and offers enough on special teams to help kick Wilkerson off the roster too

- I have a feeling they could get Asiasi to the practice squad as a backup option anyway so it's a win win 

OL: 

- Depth here scares the heck out of me 

- Stueber is obviously going to be out for the season.. Hines is 50/50 for me. He missed half of training camp, so I think next week's practice and preseason game are going to determine if he gets the Foxboro Flu or not

- Bill Murray has potential, he 100% gets on the practice squad 

- Drew Desjarlais looks like another guy that would do well with practice squad for a year

- Herron could be a surprise cut/IR, Cajuste has looked good and is showing that he can play both sides. Cajuste could potentially even take Wynns job if he doesn't play next week. Arlington Hambright also seems like a guy who can backup 4 spots potentially .. he could either end up on the practice squad or push Herron for a roster spot if he doesn't get healthy. 

- Kody Russey has sounded bad at times in practice but during those preseason games I think he's done pretty well... I think I would find a way to keep him on the roster, even if it means cutting Ferentz. 

DL:

- I want LaBryon Ray on this team, they've already been moving him all over the line.. he barely played in college so has a lot of room for improvement. He is an injury risk but the reward seems totally worth it. 

- DaMarcuss Mitchel seems like a guy who will end up on the practice squad but don't be surprised if they somehow find a way to keep him as a special teamer.. no idea how they would fit him but they probably love him 

- Sam Roberts has been impressive, he's not making it to the practice squad.. you have to either put him on the 53 or IR him. He's a guy who 100% needs a year in the system to get used to the competition jump then could be a contributor. 

LB:

- I don't like Tavai starting, he isn't the speed guy they've been talking about.. I would cut him but it seems obvious they won't

- Mack Wilson needs to play a lot.. he's exactly what they need

- Jennings and Uche are safe, together I think they could make a great tandem

- McGrone is in a roster crunch.. but you can see the speed is there. Maybbeeeee you can sneak him to the practice squad.. but it's def a risk

- Perkins I think still has potential and I think he's gotten better this preseason at setting the edge, I just don't know how they fit him on the roster 

CB: 

- I would take Shaun Wades potential over Myles Bryant .. but the coaching staff seems to disagree

S: 

- Brendan Schooler seems like an obvious candidate to make this team as a special teamer .. I think Bethel and Davis could be surprise cuts because of all the youth the team has right now

- Josh Bledsoe has looked great, I don't think he makes it to the practice squad.. but also don't see how they have enough roster spots to keep him.. he's going to be another tough decision

Yeah... things are about to get really interesting.. and we are going to see some productive NFL players on other teams in a month

On 8/19/2022 at 11:28 PM, m haynes said:

You mentioned Humphrey and I agree he has been impressive to say the least. That ST plays Wow. I have no idea which WRs plays out but my thoughts are you need young guys with the WR unit, player that can grow with Mac.

I don't see Aggie traded so you have to look at Meyers and Bourne. I say its a possibility , KB because of camp reports and not dressing tonight. I don't care what he did last year it has no bearing with this years team.

I have to keep reminding myself this is preseason and the Pats are seeing basically zone and vanilla defenses but you have to look at Humphrey. 5 catches for 71 yards. 

I don't know what he's like in camp but based on the 2 game he has to be considered. The possibilities are endless with him in the passing game. slot, outside and Red zone.

That said this on the broadcast, and I literally texted it to my buddy before they mentioned it, but Humphrey gives me Tim Wright vibes.

• Like 1