Top 10 Small School Prospects

Da_Ducktator

Small school (FCS-D2-D3-NAIA) prospects are generally a hot topic each year as people always want to find the next sleeper. Wanted to throw out my top 10 and open it up for discussion of who else might be flying under the radar.

1. Brandon Parker | OT | North Carolina A&T

Overall: Smart kid (electrical engineering major), athletic family (both parents were athletes at UNC, sister played basketball at A&T), and has dominated at the FCS level. Went from a big bully with average feet in 2016 to a nimble mammoth this year. Senior Bowl will be a huge opportunity for him as I believe he could, at least, cement himself as a 2nd rounder, if not challenge for higher..

2. Dallas Goedert | TE | South Dakota State

Overall: I have seen him have lapses in concentration catching the ball, but other than that, it's hard to nitpick too much. Not much to complain about athletically and as a receiver.

3. Timon Parris | OT | Stony Brook

Overall: It's unfortunate he got hurt because he looks the part. Needs to clean-up his play but is a mauler. Tough to take in the top 100 because he overextends at times and needs to improve hand placement and is missing a year of football, but the potential is clearly there.

4. Siran Neal | CB/S | Jacksonville State

Overall: Scheme versatile defensive back who has played at safety, nickel, and boundary corner over the last two years. Fluid athlete who isn't afraid to get physical. 

5. D'Montre Wade | CB | Murray State

Overall: Long, physical corner who comes from a pair of D1 athletes. Good athlete who is going to take some chances but can make plays (six INT's this year).

6. Davontae Harris | CB | Illinois State

Overall: Physical, well-built corner, with good long speed but I question his feet. 1-on-1's at the Senior Bowl will make or break his stock.

7. Elijah Campbell | S | Northern Iowa

Overall: Athletic safety who has been playmaker for the Panthers. Interesting route to UNI, going JUCO and then Northern Illinois before ending up in the Missouri Valley. Testing will be key for a guy who's stock is built on athleticism.

8. Darius Leonard | LB |  South Carolina State

Overall: I think he is a bit overrated, but that's mainly because I'm concerned about his size. Great sideline-to-sideline ability, but has already shown trouble shedding blockers at a low-level of FCS play.

9. Jake Wieneke | WR | South Dakota State

Overall: Numbers are down this year (not a single game over 100 yards), but it's tough to ignore his game against TCU in 2016. Showed his abilities as a vertical threat who attacks the ball with long arms and tracks the ball well deep. Tough to think he can't contribute as a #4 guy.

10. Desmond Harrison | OT | West Georgia

Overall: Not sure how old he is (has to be close to 25 after going from JUCO to Texas to West Georgia), but he's played great at the Division II level and was a top rated JUCO product for a reason; athletic ability in a big package.

Others I have ranked (roughly in order): LB Darius Jackson (Jacksonville State), OT/OG Alex Cappa (Humboldt State), QB Bryan Schor (James Madison), S Max Redfield (Indiana (Pa.)), LB Nick DeLuca (North Dakota State) CB Michael Joseph (Dubuque), DT Nathan Shepherd (Fort Hays State), CB Omari Williams (Samford), TE Andrew Vollert (Weber State), CB Taron Johnson (Weber State), OT Aaron Stinnie (James Madison) WR Elijah Marks (Northern Arizona), OT Jamil Demby (Maine), CB Tyrin Holloway (Western Illinois), WR Daurice Fountain (Northern Iowa), QB Jeremiah Briscoe (Sam Houston State), QB Kyle Lauleeta (Richmond), LB Brett Taylor (Western Illinois), WR Jaelon Acklin (Western Illinois), K Lane Clark (Tennessee State), WR Emmanuel Butler (Northern Arizona), QB Devante Kincade (Grambling State), RB Martez Carter (Grambling State)

Need to watch: CB Danny Johnson (Southern), OG Skyler Phillips (Idaho State), CB Mike Ford (Southeast Missouri State), WR Justin Watson (Penn)

Nice list, does depend one what one calls a small school.  Here are some others I think you are missing.

*Ja'Von Rolland-Jones OLB/DE Arkansas St: Very speedy rush end, could be a potentially fine 3/4 OLB who can get to the QB, has had a great season and put up big time numbers.

*Marcus Davenport DE UTSA: Love his size and athletic ability, rare athlete at that length.  Is a nice mid round prospect I think with a lot of upside.

*Jordan Chunn RB Troy: Love his toughness and strength as a runner, could transition to FB as well.  Very thick kid and will be drafted I think, has had some big games especially on the road at LSU this year.

*Roc Thomas RB Jacksonville State: Former Auburn player, great quickness and ability to make you miss.  I think he will be a drafted player come that time of year, really athletic and has a toughness about him he did not show on Auburn earlier in this career.

*Adam Breneman TE UMASS:  Might not consider him a small school guy but is a very talented pass catching TE, only issues is his terrible injury history.  His teammate WR Isabella is a junior star and potential NFL talent as well.

*Reggie Hall CB Jacksonville St: Could potentially be better than his teammate Neal I think if healthy, but maybe will get another year of eligability, very long corner with a lot of upside.  

Why was Darius Jackson not including in the top 10?  Hard to get stats on him but as of right now has 18 TFL, 6 sacks, 3 FF and 19 QBH this year and last year had 15 TFL, 10 sacks, 1 FF and 13 QBH.  Kid can get to the QB and is very athletic, sure is not a down DE but could be a versatile OLB in a 3/4 for sure.  Is totally a top 10 small school guy in my book.  Will see how he does come FCS playoff time.  

27 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

You have the wrong offensive lineman at the top of your list.

Emmanuel Butler won't be in this draft, he's getting a medical redshirt.

You think Parris is the top guy? I like Parris, but I love Parker. I really need to go back and watch the Stony Brook at USF game to start the year, but the fractured leg is a tough injury specifically for a guy who needs work. I thought Parker was better technically.

I was talking with somebody earlier about Butler, actually. Butler was fully dressed for Senior Day. Very odd for a player out for the season after shoulder surgery if he was going to come back. The guy played into the third game this year, and I have not seen anything official either way. It would be difficult to obtain a medical RS after two full games and then you add on the Senior Day, makes me believe Butler won't be back.

14 minutes ago, Da_Ducktator said:

You think Parris is the top guy? I like Parris, but I love Parker. I really need to go back and watch the Stony Brook at USF game to start the year, but the fractured leg is a tough injury specifically for a guy who needs work. I thought Parker was better technically.

I was talking with somebody earlier about Butler, actually. Butler was fully dressed for Senior Day. Very odd for a player out for the season after shoulder surgery if he was going to come back. The guy played into the third game this year, and I have not seen anything official either way. It would be difficult to obtain a medical RS after two full games and then you add on the Senior Day, makes me believe Butler won't be back.

Neither. Aaron Stinnie and Alex Cappa are better.

It's pretty easy to get a medical resdhirt if you only played 2 games. I guess it's possible he doesn't want to apply for one and would rather just go pro, but that wouldn't be wise for a small school guy with no recent film. I would guess it's more likely he will apply for a medical redshirt and then try to transfer to a larger school. He's easily good enough to draw interest from good programs and that would explain his participation in senior day.

18 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

Neither. Aaron Stinnie and Alex Cappa are better.

Honestly just forgot to list Cappa. Dude moves phenomenally well. I actually spoke with Laurent Duvernay-Tardif a few times as he was coming out of Canada and it's a similar situation except probably a little better for Cappa because Duvernay was a full-time medical student and English was his second language (was a bit hard to understand him at times but nothing insane) when he was coming out whereas Cappa is American-born (California). It all comes down to All-Star games because neither is playing/played against much competition. Cappa looks like a heck of a player, but it's tough to really gauge him until he is playing competition that equals and/or betters his talent. Duvernay had a great week at the E/W Shrine Game and if it wasn't for weight loss between that game and his Pro Day, probably would have gone even higher in the draft. I think have the two flash similar traits.

Stinnie, I'm not a big fan of. I think he has slow feet and is going to struggle a lot with speed at the next level.

I just have a hard-time believing how somebody could watch Parker and not fall in love. The guy has looked sensational this year.

21 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Why was Darius Jackson not including in the top 10?  Hard to get stats on him but as of right now has 18 TFL, 6 sacks, 3 FF and 19 QBH this year and last year had 15 TFL, 10 sacks, 1 FF and 13 QBH.  Kid can get to the QB and is very athletic, sure is not a down DE but could be a versatile OLB in a 3/4 for sure.  Is totally a top 10 small school guy in my book.  Will see how he does come FCS playoff time.  

I went back and watched a lot of JSU and still just think Jackson is okay. I was glad he played standing up as a true linebacker the majority of the time against Georgia Tech to see how he moved in space because I think that's where his future is. He's a good athlete but can be pushed around. I didn't see much bend from Jackson either. He just tries to win by running around the tackle or taking advantage of quickness and stepping inside if the tackle oversteps to the edge. I don't think he's a bad player, but I just don't see him as an impact pass rusher at the next level. I think he is going to have to play in more of a traditional linebacker role (think of the transition Anthony Barr had to make [not comparing his abilities to Barr at all just fyi]) and while his numbers are nice, he got pushed around a lot against Georgia Tech and LSU and even a bit against an average UT Martin team.

Siran Neal though just pops though. The versatility and explosiveness he provides is intriguing. The guy can come up and press and while he needs to work on his punch at the line, I love how squared up he stays before having to flip his hips. Smooth, natural athlete. I underrated him previously. He tops Wade for me as my top small school CB.

I will add that Randy Robinson, junior DT, looked good also. Stout kid who has made an impact the last couple years. Will be interesting guy to follow next year.

On 11/16/2017 at 6:03 PM, Da_Ducktator said:

Small school (FCS-D2-D3-NAIA) prospects are generally a hot topic each year as people always want to find the next sleeper. Wanted to throw out my top 10 and open it up for discussion of who else might be flying under the radar.

1. Brandon Parker | OT | North Carolina A&T

Overall: Smart kid (electrical engineering major), athletic family (both parents were athletes at UNC, sister played basketball at A&T), and has dominated at the FCS level. Went from a big bully with average feet in 2016 to a nimble mammoth this year. Senior Bowl will be a huge opportunity for him as I believe he could, at least, cement himself as a 2nd rounder, if not challenge for higher..

2. Dallas Goedert | TE | South Dakota State

Overall: I have seen him have lapses in concentration catching the ball, but other than that, it's hard to nitpick too much. Not much to complain about athletically and as a receiver.

3. Timon Parris | OT | Stony Brook

Overall: It's unfortunate he got hurt because he looks the part. Needs to clean-up his play but is a mauler. Tough to take in the top 100 because he overextends at times and needs to improve hand placement and is missing a year of football, but the potential is clearly there.

4. Siran Neal | CB/S | Jacksonville State

Overall: Scheme versatile defensive back who has played at safety, nickel, and boundary corner over the last two years. Fluid athlete who isn't afraid to get physical. 

5. D'Montre Wade | CB | Murray State

Overall: Long, physical corner who comes from a pair of D1 athletes. Good athlete who is going to take some chances but can make plays (six INT's this year).

6. Davontae Harris | CB | Illinois State

Overall: Physical, well-built corner, with good long speed but I question his feet. 1-on-1's at the Senior Bowl will make or break his stock.

7. Elijah Campbell | S | Northern Iowa

Overall: Athletic safety who has been playmaker for the Panthers. Interesting route to UNI, going JUCO and then Northern Illinois before ending up in the Missouri Valley. Testing will be key for a guy who's stock is built on athleticism.

8. Darius Leonard | LB |  South Carolina State

Overall: I think he is a bit overrated, but that's mainly because I'm concerned about his size. Great sideline-to-sideline ability, but has already shown trouble shedding blockers at a low-level of FCS play.

9. Jake Wieneke | WR | South Dakota State

Overall: Numbers are down this year (not a single game over 100 yards), but it's tough to ignore his game against TCU in 2016. Showed his abilities as a vertical threat who attacks the ball with long arms and tracks the ball well deep. Tough to think he can't contribute as a #4 guy.

10. Desmond Harrison | OT | West Georgia

Overall: Not sure how old he is (has to be close to 25 after going from JUCO to Texas to West Georgia), but he's played great at the Division II level and was a top rated JUCO product for a reason; athletic ability in a big package.

Others (roughly in order): LB Darius Jackson (Jacksonville State), OT/OG Alex Cappa (Humboldt State), QB Bryan Schor (James Madison), S Max Redfield (Indiana (Pa.)), LB Nick DeLuca (North Dakota State) CB Michael Joseph (Dubuque), DT Nathan Shepherd (Fort Hays State), CB Omari Williams (Samford), TE Andrew Vollert (Weber State), WR Elijah Marks (Northern Arizona), OT Jamil Demby (Maine), CB Taron Johnson (Weber State), CB Tyrin Holloway (Western Illinois), WR Daurice Fountain (Northern Iowa), QB Jeremiah Briscoe (Sam Houston State), QB Kyle Lauleeta (Richmond), LB Brett Taylor (Western Illinois), WR Jaelon Acklin (Western Illinois), K Lane Clark (Tennessee State), WR Emmanuel Butler (Northern Arizona)

Here is NFL.com's list of smaller school prospects. Of course, some play for decent football powers, but none play for power 5 schools in the bigger conferences.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000877938

Took a look at Skylar Phillips today after his Senior Bowl invite. He worked last year at left tackle before getting hurt for the year, was suppose to move to center and ended up at RG from the games I saw, then got hurt about halfway through the year. Phillips seems like a physical blocker who does a nice job keeping his feet churning. He is certainly notably slow in space and I think he has a little trouble coordination-wise locking onto blockers downfield. He makes up for lack of athleticism though with great angles and playing with a mean streak. Great lower body too and he does a great job of staying low and maintaining leverage. The more I watched, the more I liked of him because he plays sound and is a tough guy. Worried about the injuries but if you draft him to a scheme knowing his limitations, I think he could be a solid interior guy.

Archived