State of the Steelers

warfelg

17 minutes ago, AFF said:

You trade away DJ, you need to draft another WR

I probably wouldn’t do it unless some team overpaid….a high 2nd?

there was the rumour of dionte+49  for Houston pick 12. This converts dionte essentially into a late RD1 pick if you can believe that according to the chart.  The idea there was to get an OT. If so, and the trade isn't last minute and the OT is gone, that pick 12 could be traded down a few times to get a pile of picks.  But if Devon is there, then you know what to do

Lots of WR in the draft with much better hands than dionte, but they might not get open is much. I see Wilson later on, Mingo and others.

It gets tempting though, trading dionte to Houston and if the particular player(s) aren't there, then trade down a few times and probably get 3 additional picks  near 80, maybe more or some 2024 RD3 or RD4 pick(s) . Depending on who is there . it could be 2 eventual starting CB's and an OL/Edge. Not bad considering we thought for much of last season that dionte couldn't be traded. Having  remembered that, I would hope Khan makes the trade and gets a WR by RD4, but not early. We need CB's and to know going into next year if they are actually the future. 

4 hours ago, jebrick said:

As near as I can tell, Van Ness went against P.Johnson when Van Ness was in the game.

Adetomiwa Adebawore(99)

vs Aidan Hutchinson(20221)

nice clips, and he blocked 2 people on the run play at :57.  If he could be serious and with good OL coach it could be a good pick. If not and lazy  and heavy , out of the league after a few years .

Would  you take the chance ?

43 minutes ago, August4th said:

if the ravens can get a 1st for Hollywood brown, so can the steelers for Johnson. I'll only move DJ for a top 50 pick or multiple picks.

if they  add dionte  with 49 for 12, that makes dionte a  pick 30 RD1 equivalent by the chart I have . Considering the texans might need a WR for the new QB, maybe dionte will be a good trade for them.  Of course, some are saying the texans might not go QB  with their first pick so wait and see.   The thought is Ryans wants his Nick Bosa and that would be the reason for no QB #2 overall for them

ravens  Brown vs Khans trade for A-Rob are contrasting .  I like the way Khan has run the FO thus far, much better than colbert.  I still hold hope for  trading and collecting additional picks  then drafting a good QB and possibly  trading Mitch to 49ers or somewhere (maybe Houston?) 

dionte and mitch could be traded, not sure where the idea of trading Daniels ever originated but that seemed driven by the signing of 2 OG's and we are used to never having any quality depth, probably the main reason for such a story/trade rumour 

anyone else on the team that has been in trade conversations?

32 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

how would that be bad for us especially considering we thought there was not way we could trade dionte during much of last season?

Why destabilize the environment for a sophomore QB by giving away his highest rated and favorite (137 to 78 for George Pickens) target?  After your passing game DVOA has risen from 24th to 18th.

2 hours ago, AFF said:

You trade away DJ, you need to draft another WR

I probably wouldn’t do it unless some team overpaid….a high 2nd?

I would do it for a last first, or the 49+DJ for 12 rumor that was floated around. Grab your OT at 12, and then trade back from 17, 32, or both to recoup some picks.

1 hour ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Why destabilize the environment for a sophomore QB by giving away his highest rated and favorite (137 to 78 for George Pickens) target?  After your passing game DVOA has risen from 24th to 18th.

Pickens becomes WR1 but also consider the new draft pick , A-Rob and not being a rookie and the OL revamp, plus maybe Canada might actually be better this year.  Destabilizing  is only a problem if the QB can't adapt.  It might be a problem, but I expect KP to be good and trhe WR's to get a fair share, with Pickens getting more than last year unless canada runs this.

Get a trade for dionte while you can, he isn't irreplaceable , lets agree on that B|

19 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I would do it for a last first, or the 49+DJ for 12 rumor that was floated around. Grab your OT at 12, and then trade back from 17, 32, or both to recoup some picks.

the nflmockdraftdatabase  appears to offer quite the value in trades, I am not sure how close to reality it is but it really gets encouraging to trade down most of the time.  If you have 12, and say the few  key players of interest get taken, then trading down a few times can get a nice haul of RD3 picks and maybe toss in a few mid round 2024 picks.   

It could be a question of 1 possible pro bowl type player  at 12 , which would be the goal at 12, but thats never a guarantee.  Or  the extra RD3 picks that can address needs across the roster and as a whole the team has less weakness. It might not work but appears to be the better option for a team if they have many needs or major depth issues.   The " trade up because we are 1 player away"  probably doesn't apply to  this team as we type, but getting there anyways thanks FO that keeps busy in the offseason.  

Lately my pick 12 candidates list has been getting reduced  , but   Witherspoon  stays and could really be a force in our secondary. He has Patrick to learn from and then Minkah + Patrick probably won't have as much thrown their way. It could be busy for the new CB but I would expect him to shut em down.  His twitch and quickness could take care of the slot as well.  

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

Yea I saw the 49+dj rumor…I’d probably do that.

26 and 27(Cowboys and Bills) could use a 2nd WR…Texans at 33 and Colts at 35 are also in that range.

I keep seeing people saw this DJ to Houston rumor.   Where?  How legit of a source?

Or was this just an idea being floated around after the ARob trade for how super awesomely sweet balls it would be from some dildo on Reddit, Twitter or YouTube.  

If a legit source is provided I’ll edit “genius” in for “dildo”

• Like 1

Never mind.  I found it. 

“Or maybe, in a suggested media move, Houston trades that pick No. 12 in exchange for wide receiver Diontae Johnson of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Not enough? Of course not. And so the media proposal also includes Houston receiving the No. 49 overall pick and No. 120 overall pick.”

”Suggested media move”. 

So ultimate grain of salt wishful thinking.  

4 minutes ago, Squanchy said:

Never mind.  I found it. 

“Or maybe, in a suggested media move, Houston trades that pick No. 12 in exchange for wide receiver Diontae Johnson of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Not enough? Of course not. And so the media proposal also includes Houston receiving the No. 49 overall pick and No. 120 overall pick.”

”Suggested media move”. 

So ultimate grain of salt wishful thinking.  

the offseason has rumours and trade talk all the time, this was just  another example.  We will find out in a week anyways, then what will we do?

1 minute ago, 3rivers said:

the offseason has rumours and trade talk all the time, this was just  another example.  We will find out in a week anyways, then what will we do?

What will we do after the draft.   I think it will go something like this is any order. 

Cry about the picks because you didn’t like them and hated the draft while discussing new players. 

Praise the draft and think the Steelers crushed it while discussing the new players. 

Talk yourself into thinking we got amazing steals because “I mean, Holland had how many picks?  That’s exactly what the secondary needs and he’ll be a huge steal.”

Or probably the worst outcome of all….. utter indifference.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

Sorry to double quote but rumors and trade talk happen all the time you’re correct.  And I’m guilty of eating it all up and hyping things out of proportion as much as the next. 

I just think it’s disingenuous to call that a rumor.  The Steelers wanting to trade up to 9 is a rumor.  The DJ trade is just trade talk with 0 substance. 

Can we talk about both and the outcomes. 100%.  I just found it weird it was bandied about as being semi legit.  All I kept thinking was “what the **** is this?  Where the **** is this coming from?” Etc