State of the Steelers

warfelg

I'll be updating this throughout the year, maybe making this OG post longer along the way.

So, here's War's state of the steelers.

Quarter poll and this give sums up how I'm doing:

Im Fine GIF by MOODMAN

But it's been 25+ years since we've been this.  I'm 38 and I was still living in Connecticut when I remember things being this bad.  I'm in my 3rd state since.  Rather than being pissed about how bad we've been this year, I keep myself sane by thinking how long it's been since a non-trade for top 10 pick (1980), how long it's been since we've seen a score this lopsided (again the 80's).  Plenty of teams would kill for the generation of success we just had.

SO let's start with the roster.  I'll be doing active roster only.  Bolded will be keepers.  Italicized will be cut.  Underlined will be trade candidate.  If you see nothing, I am neither here nor there about them.

QB: Kenny Pickett, Mitch Trubisky, Mason Rudolph

RB: Najee Harris, Jaylen Warren, Benny Snell, 

FB: Derek Watt

WR: George Pickens, Diontae JohnsonChase Claypool, Steven Sims, Gunner Olszewski, Miles Boykin, Calvin Austin

TE: Pat Feiermuth, Zach Gentry, Connor Heyward

OT: Dan Moore, Chuks Okorafor, Trent Scott, Jesse Davis

OG: James Daniels, Kevin Dotson, Kendrick Green

😄Mason Cole, JC Hassenauer

DE: Cam HeywardLarry Ogunjobi, DeMarvin Leal, Chris Wormley, Isaiahh Loudermilk

DT: Tyson Alualu, Montravius Adams

EDGE: TJ Watt, Alex Highsmith, Ryan Anderson, Malik Reed, Jamir Hones

ILB: Myles Jack, Devin Bush, Robert Spillane, Marcus Allen, Mark Robinson

CB: Ahkello Witherspoon, Levi Wallace, Cam Sutton, Arthur Maulet, James Pierre

S: Minkah Fitzpatrick, Terrell Edmunds, Tre Norwood, Miles Killebrew

10/11/22 Mock Draft:

Using Power Ratings, we have the 2nd pick, based on standings we have pick 3 (LV ahead of us, but they will do better).

Pick 2 traded to Detroit for 5, 27, 2023 2nd. Analysis - Will Anderson goes number 1, so with plenty of blue chippers left, moving down 3 spots to pick up a late 1st is worth it.

Pick 5 traded with a 2024 3rd to Chicago for 9, 40, 2024 1st.  Analysis - All DL early here as Carter, Bresee, Murphy went 2-3-4 respectively. Where's still plenty of blue chippers left.  This is falling nicely in a talented draft to add 2 extra top 60 picks already.

Pick 9 - Peter Skoronski LT Northwestern.  Analysis - We always laughed at teams for taking the QB then not taking the franchise LT to protect him.  Skoronki might not by a physical specimen at LT, but he's a tactician and a beast in the run game.  I go here so easily, there's cartoon dust from the running to the podium.

Pick 27 - Noah Sewell LB Oregon.  Analysis - He reminds me some of Shazier.  Fast, athletic, can cover, can stop the run.  I feel I can get CB a bit later, but we need a LB corps overhaul and this with Jack gives us a really good dynamic.

Pick 33 - Brian Branch CB Alabama - Analysis - He's more tested than Garrett Williams and that was the tipping point for me.  Williams and Branch are going to end up being a coin flip at this point of the draft.  So lets go with the tested Bama boy over the ACC product.

Pick 40 - Jermaine Burton WR Alabama - Analysis - Two Bama boys in a row? Yes.  Skill position that's likely not a huge need on the surface? Sure.  But as you see above, I only have 1 keeper, and none of my here or there's really jump out to deserve to be unchallenged.  Even if my trade candidate stays, he's only on that 1 last year really.

My PFF grades for this draft:

Trade with Detroit: A+

Trade with Chicago: B+

Skoronski: C+

Sewell: C+

Branch: D

Burton: D+

Overall: C

The player grades are strange, because those were top listed needs with top listed player.  For poops and giggles, if I take BPA I end up with (after making the same trades) CJ Stroud (A), Garrett Williams (C-), Siaki Ika (C+), Blake Freeland (C-), overall A.

• Like 1

They will not trade Cam because The Rooneys

Skoronski  may be a OG in the NFL.  I would recommend Jaelyn Duncan OT maryland for top OT.

I would not like Sewell.  I would rather take Trenton Simpson at 9 and either Broderick Jones or Paris Johnson Jr. at 27.  Sewell will be the second coming of Bush.  Tommy Eichenberg  (Ohio State) has looked good this year.  Might be had in the 3rd but he will have the same issues as Sewell but he has major football smarts.

Joey Porter Jr will be a Steeler and would fit in that 2nd round pick.  Although I like Andrew Vorhees at OG.

I am guessing you drafted Branch  to be that extra safety-in-the-box that seems to be popular now in the NFL( replace a LB with safety in base defense).  Good tackler that struggles in man coverage.

Edited by jebrick
  • Like 2

Woof - Dominique Foxworth going in on roster construction and how the FO decision making has lead to the current situation.  Chris Canty is talking about how the failure wasn't this year and not fully on Tomlin, but lack on talent from Kevin Colbert.  Jeff Saturday is saying making a mistake means come off the field, and Canty ripped him saying "two healthy safeties, who's going in?"

12 hours ago, jebrick said:

They will not trade Cam because The Rooneys

I agree, but he would be trade bate for me.  He can still get something and shouldn't be here through a rebuild.  This is more a respect him too much than a he's not good enough.

Skoronski  may be a OG in the NFL.  I would recommend Jaelyn Duncan OT maryland for top OT.

I'm going to need than just this statement about Skoronski.  Also Duncan is a redshirt senior and Skoronski is a true junior.  Based on what we've seen them prefer, Skoronski would have the edge over Duncan for that.

I would not like Sewell.  I would rather take Trenton Simpson at 9 and either Broderick Jones or Paris Johnson Jr. at 27.  Sewell will be the second coming of Bush.  Tommy Eichenberg  (Ohio State) has looked good this year.  Might be had in the 3rd but he will have the same issues as Sewell but he has major football smarts.

Jones and Johnson will not be there at 27.  Majority of LB's are starting to look more like Sewell of read and react because of what NCAAFB has become.  It's tough, almost impossible, to play the position anymore with wide fields, RPO, multiple motions.  Sometimes all you can do is sit, read, and react.  And if you watch Oregon, that's what they are asking their LB's in general to do.

Joey Porter Jr will be a Steeler and would fit in that 2nd round pick.  Although I like Andrew Vorhees at OG.

JPJ will end up in the 12-20 range and won't be a 2nd round pick. Vorhees will likely be a 1st round pick too.

I wouldn't trade Heyward for mid round picks. I think we're contenders next year regardless of an extra 4th rounder. I'd rather just have a leader on the defense. I don't think we need to strip this team to the bones, we just need to bring in a shot of talent via the draft and FA. We did a good job last off-season, and I don't see why we wouldn't do it again. We need to hit on a few of those middle round picks, which I'm hoping the new crew FO will be able to do. 

15 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I wouldn't trade Heyward for mid round picks. I think we're contenders next year regardless of an extra 4th rounder. I'd rather just have a leader on the defense. I don't think we need to strip this team to the bones, we just need to bring in a shot of talent via the draft and FA. We did a good job last off-season, and I don't see why we wouldn't do it again. We need to hit on a few of those middle round picks, which I'm hoping the new crew FO will be able to do. 

I think its gonna take more than one more good offseason to be a real contender. I think a major problem for us is the fact that we play in a div that has 3 franchise quarterbacks all in their youth. I don't think Kenny has to be at that level for us to compete, but the roster has to be filled with strong talent. I'm looking more at 2024 as the yr we're back if things go well + the Watson deal, potential Jackson deal could start hurting those teams + Bengals will have some tough decisions looming. Can't keep both Chase and Higgins on huge WR money for example.

5 minutes ago, August4th said:

I think its gonna take more than one more good offseason to be a real contender. I think a major problem for us is the fact that we play in a div that has 3 franchise quarterbacks all in their youth. I don't think Kenny has to be at that level for us to compete, but the roster has to be filled with strong talent. I'm looking more at 2024 as the yr we're back if things go well + the Watson deal, potential Jackson deal could start hurting those teams + Bengals will have some tough decisions looming. Can't keep both Chase and Higgins on huge WR money for example.

Good thing we started last year then, eh? lol 

I also think all the other North teams are pretty overrated generally. I think we'll be in play to win the division next year. That's due to us improving, but also LIS, I don't think any of the other teams are that good. Maybe the Brownies if Watson lifts them. But then again, they are the Browns. 

I know I'm hopelessly optimistic, but I really do think we can get right back into the thick of things by next year. The offense is going through growing pains now, but we do have talent. The line is serviceable, Pat is good(if his brain isn't scrambled), Pickens is good, the Najee/Warren combo is solid, Pickett looks like a gamer. We need one of Diontae and Chase to step up(if neither can, we can draft another good one, and with each draft having more good WRs it seems like something we could do). We've also got Austin waiting. The defense needs an infusion of talent. We're built to be led by superstars, and our true superstar is hurt. We need a blue chip guy somewhere else on the defense. We need talent at ILB, which can be found with picks not in the first round. We're set to get a high pick that should be used to add said blue chip defensive talent. I'm going back and forth between Anderson and a CB. I would be all over Anderson if he was bigger. I worry about smaller pass rushers. 

• Like 1

The Steelers can sign a few FAs like they did this past offseason with about $35~ mill In cap room after the cut Trubisky

…going into the 2024, theyll Have $100+ mill in cap room(which will decrease some just due to picks and who they bring in)…but due to that cap room, they can be very aggressive over the new few years signing players.

I’d trade Cam but the Steelers won’t do it.

Random thought - Antwaan Randel-El is a WR coach with the Lions right now.  I wonder how interested he would be in having a Special Teams Coordinator job with us.  When he was here he was always good at pointing out to blockers where they should be.