State of the Steelers

warfelg

Just now, August4th said:

imagine if we were in a situation where we could trade down and still get will Anderson. would probably need the number 1 pick or more quarterbacks rise to the top

I think we need to be 1, with the teams at 2/3 wanting QB, and the team at 4 wanting to jump up. 

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

I think we need to be 1, with the teams at 2/3 wanting QB, and the team at 4 wanting to jump up. 

also guys who are censuses a top 3 pick during the season, sometimes end up being like pick 6 when the draft happens

Penei Sewell, Evan Neal and Kayvon Thibodeaux from the last two drafts come to mind

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, warfelg said:

not necessarily. Teams may want to trade up to get in front of teams at 2 & 3 to get a QB.

I do like Will anderson and he is the best player in this draft but they already have Will Anderson on the roster and his name is TJ Watt.  If they can parley any pick into multiple picks in multiple years, that would go far in helping.  But also remember that the draft is a crap shoot.

20 minutes ago, jebrick said:

not necessarily. Teams may want to trade up to get in front of teams at 2 & 3 to get a QB.

I do like Will anderson and he is the best player in this draft but they already have Will Anderson on the roster and his name is TJ Watt.  If they can parley any pick into multiple picks in multiple years, that would go far in helping.  But also remember that the draft is a crap shoot.

Um….yeah? But you also can’t downgrade too much. 

But looking at some of this:

- Just because you have TJ doesn’t mean you should dismiss taking Anderson. We know what happens when TJ is out. So adding pass rush is never a bad thing. 
- You still need to monitor how far you drop unless the right team gives you a godfather offer. 
- It’s all a crapshoot. I’ll give the old Sam Hinkie explanation though: if you plant enough appleseeds you get an orchard, but you need enough seeds to do it. 

I’d have no problem taking Anderson…while it wouldn’t be a upper tier “need”…you’re simply swapping a high end 2024 FA/Draft need for it ….while I like Highsmith the Steelers may choose to not sign him long term after the 2023 season thus creating a need at that point.

Way too early to tell but that’s my .02

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AFF said:

I’d have no problem taking Anderson…while it wouldn’t be a upper tier “need”…you’re simply swapping a high end 2024 FA/Draft need for it ….while I like Highsmith the Steelers may choose to not sign him long term after the 2023 season thus creating a need at that point.

Way too early to tell but that’s my .02

Good take on it. It may not be the red flag need but it makes your football team better. Then you have the choice of sending out Highsmith for a 3rd/4th (basically accelerating his comp pick) or trying to sign him as a backup. 

2 hours ago, AFF said:

I’d rather sign him to be the main slot guy but that’s just me.

Oh I am the same. I really like Cam as a piece. Just feels like a guy who is valuable enough to get a decent return and might be able to price himself out of where we would go vs finding a better option. No where near comparable talents, but kinda the idea of Malcolm Butler to Stephon Gilmore. You want $10M? Well, I will spend a little bit more for a better player. 

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

This draft honestly isn’t one to overthink. Take the BPA unless it’s a QB and Kenny impresses enough. Only reason to get “cute” in a trade down is if we have 1 and 2/3 want to ensure they get their QB. 

Yep pretty much.

I mean Free Agency will make an impact but with a probable top 10 pick, I’d be amazed there’s no elite prospect at 1 of OL/DL/Edge/CB…I could see them reaching for a stud ILB too though.

5 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I want to draft Anderson and sign Daron Payne. Those moves would go a long way in lifting our defense back to elite. 

wouldn't you prefer a legit cover CB instead of Payne though? It seems with Leal and Heyward and Watt, the front is not the weakness .  As much as I would like the front to be dominant, it's a lost cause with a lack of coverage .