State of the Steelers

warfelg

12 hours ago, mwalker said:

I love Anderson, wouldn't complain, but I think DT Jalen Carter from Georgia is the better pick for us now.

Carter does not fit what they are doing on defense.  Bryan Bresee is more their style.

If they want to really switch to a 4-3 then yes Carter would work.  Their kind-of-hybrid defense needs 2 big tackles in the middle that can 2 gap.

14 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Bless all your hearts thinking about this top 5 pick. Deep down you all know we are gonna break the bye with TJ back and we go 7-2. 

Maybe…

Truthfully I think they’ll pull out a win over the last 2 games before their bye and a few after with Watt comin back….so I’m guessing 5-12 or 6-11 with a pick somewhere between 6-10.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

Carter does not fit what they are doing on defense.  Bryan Bresee is more their style.

If they want to really switch to a 4-3 then yes Carter would work.  Their kind-of-hybrid defense needs 2 big tackles in the middle that can 2 gap.

I like Breese (if he's healthy), but you don't think Carter can play the same role?

FWIW as of right now, the Steelers have $35 mill in cap room going into next year…cutting Trubisky nets them $8 mill more….and as of now they have $8 in cap room this season.

Thry like having $7-8 mill for in season stuff so think of them as having $43 in cap room goin into next offseason before the draft.

17 hours ago, 3rivers said:

wouldn't you prefer a legit cover CB instead of Payne though? It seems with Leal and Heyward and Watt, the front is not the weakness .  As much as I would like the front to be dominant, it's a lost cause with a lack of coverage .  

Not really. I like our crew of Wallace, Sutton, Witherspoon just fine. They’d look a lot better if we could get to the qb or stop the run. 

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Not really. I like our crew of Wallace, Sutton, Witherspoon just fine. They’d look a lot better if we could get to the qb or stop the run. 

It’s fine but not great. If you pair a true shut down corner with TJ and Minkah you can do so much with the other 8 guys out there. 

19 hours ago, mwalker said:

I like Breese (if he's healthy), but you don't think Carter can play the same role?

No.  Carter is a pure 3 tech.  He does not play much against the run which would have me worried.

You need a pair of DTs that are willing and able to play 2 gap for what they are running now.  Breese is 6'5, 300 with long arms.  He does take on those roles at times for but also would have to learn better 2 gap.

I would really rather take Trenton Simpson at ILB in the 1st and Tyler Davis ( also Clemson ) in perhaps the 3rd.  He is more Gravedigger in style but has that same ability if he can stay healthy.

• Like 1