State of the Steelers

warfelg

37 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I’m going to throw something out there no one has brought up:

Terrell Edmunds has turned himself into a must keep player but – his brother is really good too and is a FA this year. Additionally Buffalo is coming up on cap issues. Maybe if you take care of Terrell you can convince Tremaine to come over. 

I’d be perfectly fine giving Terrell a multi year deal at a decent rate…looking at current S deals, I’m guessing his AAV would be roughly ~$6 mill~.

People complain about him but don’t understand he’s turned into a reliable SS that works with our elite FS.

Id rather fill that hole with a proven guy…not waste resources trying to upgrade.

• Like 2

I have a sneaky suspicion that Austin is going to be a bust. At least he wasn't a first rounder like John Ross was for the Bengals. Getting shut down for the year, and not because of injury, is definitely not a sign of strong development. I'm sure Tomlin will get the lionshare of the blame for this, but I think this is probably on Austin.

7 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I have a sneaky suspicion that Austin is going to be a bust. At least he wasn't a first rounder like John Ross was for the Bengals. Getting shut down for the year, and not because of injury, is definitely not a sign of strong development. I'm sure Tomlin will get the lionshare of the blame for this, but I think this is probably on Austin.

Yea. He needed to hit the books so to speak when he was out to jump on. 

But, what I’ll say in defense of Austin; we don’t know what the response of the foot was like day to day. He might not have the burst or cutting ability he needs. Odd you would IR him and not Najee though with similar injuries. 

• Like 1

Just saw a draft profile on PSU LT Olumuyiwa Fashanu. He was off my list due to being a rSO but if he declares….wow. I would be all about it. 6’6” and 308 with long arms and quick feet he looks like the modern definition of a LT. BRB as I start a deep dive. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

Just saw a draft profile on PSU LT Olumuyiwa Fashanu. He was off my list due to being a rSO but if he declares….wow. I would be all about it. 6’6” and 308 with long arms and quick feet he looks like the modern definition of a LT. BRB as I start a deep dive. 

I like him a lot  could be a 2nd round pick.  might sneak into the 1st depending on how he tests

11 minutes ago, warfelg said:

The profile I read said top 5 possibility. Called him this years Ikem Ekwonu but more polished out the gate. 

Could be top 5 but consider that Paris Johnson (tOSU), the 4th best OT at this point, is probably a late teen early 20 type of guy.  But there is a big drop after him.  what might help is Skoronski being drafted/thought of as a OG rather than a OT.

Personally, I would like Dawand Jones(tOSU) in the 2nd at RT and move Chucks to LT.  Other option is Darnell Wright (Tenn) also at RT.

Again, both of those Rt prospects would not fit well in their wide zone concept.  Wright would do it better than Jones but I like a Rt that pancakes people.

Edited by jebrick
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Could be top 5 but consider that Paris Johnson (tOSU), the 4th best OT at this point, is probably a late teen early 20 type of guy.  But there is a big drop after him.  what might help is Skoronski being drafted/thought of as a OG rather than a OT.

Personally, I would like Dawand Jones(tOSU) in the 2nd at RT and move Chucks to LT.  Other option is Darnell Wright (Tenn) also at RT.

Again, both of those Rt prospects would not fit well in their wide zone concept.  Wright would do it better than Jones but I like a Rt that pancakes people.

I’m happy with Chucks RT play and would be against moving him to LT. Am I wrong in my takeaway from player assessments from you that you value finished product over the potential? It very much feels that way with how down you are on many players. 

This is interesting and brings up the question: Who pulled the trigger?

Bill: Did the Steelers over react to Ben's retirement by signing Trubisky and then drafting Laldokun in the 7th round, when Mason Rudolph was a more than adequate bridge QB? 
Gerry Dulac: I didn't have a problem with the Trubisky signing. It was the right thing to do. Drafting a second QB with only seven picks was ridiculous and a waste. It did not go over very well internally, trust me

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

I’m happy with Chucks RT play and would be against moving him to LT. Am I wrong in my takeaway from player assessments from you that you value finished product over the potential? It very much feels that way with how down you are on many players. 

I like potential in the 3rd+ rounds.  i like players who know football in the 1st 2 rounds.  Drafting on just potential has a way of working maybe 50% of the time in the early rounds