State of the Steelers

warfelg

18 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I’m not even confident in DJ coming back TBH. There’s an out at the end of the season and he’s has really struggled. 

Not according to overthecap…if they cut him after this season, they save $4.6 mill but have to eat $11.6 mill In dead cap…

Before 2024 though it would make some sense..they would save $10 mill but eat $6 mill in dead cap.

DJ is on this team thru the 2023 season unless something out of nowhere occurs.

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

Been a few weeks since I've done a mock, so here we go (from nflmockdraftdatabase):

Rd 1 Pick 7 - Jordan Addison WR USC - I know this is going to be a super controversial pick but I don't care.  The OL has been decent enough, Claypool and Johnson don't seem to be long term solutions.  Pickett getting his college teammate back that he had a great connection with is only going to help, especially with Pickens out there too.

Rd 2 Pick 39 - Jaelyn Duncan OT Maryland - There wasn't a LT really worth much where we were, but now we get a really good OT here with this pick.  Duncan has that balance of potential and high floor that is intoxicating to me.

Rd 3 Pick 68 - Andrew Vorhees OG USC - I think he's a simple plug and play at LG for a while.  He's not going to be a big potential guy, he's built on having a great floor.  In the 2nd and 3rd rounds we've rebuilt the left side of the line and the line overall is in a better place.

Rd 4 Pick 99 - TRADE - Las Vegas sends 5/136, 7/200, and 2024 6th

Rd 5 Pick 136 - Jalen Catalon S Arkansas - He's a solid SS to have at this point.  Norwood is slowly playing himself out of a job.  Kazee would likely be S3 next year if he's back.  Catalon is a good backend piece.

Rd 5 Pick 167 - Nick Herbig LB Wisconsin - No other LB was really worth it at the right place we picked, but this is a decent pick at this point.

Rd 7 Pick 198 - Brandon Dorlus DL Oregon

Rd 7 Pick 200 - Nick Hampton EDGE Appalachian State

I would not like the Wr pick

Duncan is going in the 1st unless something strange happens.  Vorhees might also go in the 1st.  Vorhees is the best Og outside of Skoronski being drafted as a OG.

11 minutes ago, AFF said:

Not according to overthecap…if they cut him after this season, they save $4.6 mill but have to eat $11.6 mill In dead cap…

Before 2024 though it would make some sense..they would save $10 mill but eat $6 mill in dead cap.

That’s where I’m at though with him. And Spotrac is who has the out in there. $8mil gtd for injury and $2.5 mil roster bonus is where that’s coming from. 

7 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I would not like the Wr pick

Duncan is going in the 1st unless something strange happens.  Vorhees might also go in the 1st.  Vorhees is the best Og outside of Skoronski being drafted as a OG.

That’s why I link what I use as a sim. This one, from what I’ve read, basically pulls info from everyone to build out their charts. 

57 minutes ago, AFF said:

I think so too. I wouldn't say guarantee, but NO ONE else on this team gets open. Inconsistency or not, he is what the others aren't.

re: Claypool

I really thought teams would look at the physical gifts and his production/contract control and be easy to get a 3rd from a cash strapped team like the Packers....but it's also pretty easy to consider that no one is impressed with him. He is a big body receiver who doesn't play physically and runs 4.4 but can't separate. The Steelers shouldn't take anything less than a 3rd for him, but it's reasonable to think they can't get that right now. 

I think a 4th+ for Toney is a little crazy, but he does provide things others can't easily replace. That's got value. 

So based on this feedback I decided to retry a mock on PFN.

Rd 1 Pick 1 - Detroit - CJ Stroud QB Ohio State

Rd 1 Pick 2 - Houston - Will Anderson Jr EDGE Alabama

Rd 1 Pick 3 - Carolina - Michael Mayer TE Notre Dame

Rd 1 Pick 4 - Philadelphia - Jaxon Smith-Njigba WR Ohio State

Rd 1 Pick 5 - Houston - Jordan Addison WR USC

Rd 1 Pick 6 - Seattle - Bryce Young QB Alabama

So up until this point, you can see why I'm not really enthusiastic about using PFN at the moment.  Carolina and Houston both passing on QB's despite needing one, especially Carolina passing for a TE that high..  Philadelphia has a few other positions of need that are on the board and the passed on them for WR.  

Onto our pick.  I have 2 trade offers.  Tampa Bay offers 19, 50, 2024 1st, 2024 3rd.  I reject this one as dropping from 7 to 19 is way too much of a drop for me; despite all the extra draft capital I can get.  Jacksonville offers 8 and 38 for 7 and 103, and I kinda like this one.  I'm comfortable that they aren't taking the player I want, and I like having the other 2nd rounder for the flexibility of moving later or having an extra higher pick.

Rd 1 Pick 7 - TRADE - Pittsburgh sends 7 and 103 to Jacksonville for 8 and 38.

I get trade offers again, but I'll be rejecting them all.  They both have a slew of picks, but it's not going to happen.

Rd 1 Pick 8 - Paris Johnson Jr OT Ohio State - There's a couple of interesting options out there in Trenton Simpson, Myles Murphy, Kelee Ringo.  But the idea of getting blindside protection for Pickett for years to come is quite intriguing to me.  As much as I would be really interested in Kayshon Boutte of LSU and giving Kenny two young studs at WR to work with, but protection is key.

On our next pick, I have an offer from Carolina that I reject.

Rd 2 Pick 37 - Emmanuel Forbes CB Mississippi State - All of our corners are on short term deals and we need some future at the position.  Forbes is battle tested in the SEC and does pretty well.

I get offered a deal from Carolina yet again.  I take it.

Rd 2 Pick 38 - TRADE Pittsburgh sends 38 to Carolina for 39 and 136.

Rd 2 Pick 39 - Felix Anudike-Uzomah EDGE Kansas State - Long and traits of ability to be an elite pass rusher.  Highsmith is coming on but it's high time we have a 3 man rotation.  Best case here that's what we get, worse case is Highsmith moves on.  Felix is a guy who kinda needs a year to develop some anyways so this is good.

Rd 3 Pick 68 - Matthew Bedford OG Indiana - Big and long, really athletic, started slow in the NCAA but really came on as time went on the light turned on.  He's played everywhere, LT, RT, RG, LG, and has really found a home at guard.

Rd 5 Pick 136 - Mazi Smith DT Michigan

Rd 7 Pick 202 - Kei'Trel Clark CB Louisville

Rd 7 Pick 223 - Bumper Pool LB Arkansas

Ohhh I would have taken that Tampa deal in a heartbeat. I think the bottom is about to fall out on that organization. $40M over the cap on estimated $268M via OTC with only 36 players on the roster. 

Changes are a commin' ....Gimme that pick that's likely to be top 15. 

Don't know much about the players, but I like the positions. 

45 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Ohhh I would have taken that Tampa deal in a heartbeat. I think the bottom is about to fall out on that organization. $40M over the cap on estimated $268M via OTC with only 36 players on the roster. 

Changes are a commin' ....Gimme that pick that's likely to be top 15. 

Don't know much about the players, but I like the positions. 

I really heavily debated it but we need a blue chipper and that wouldn’t have been there at 19. 

To give an idea of who’s there:

Cam Smith, Broderick Jones, Antonio Johnson

So taking that deal the draft could have gone: (traded 2.37 for 2.40 and 6.189)

Broderick Jones
    OT Georgia
    trade icon
  • PIT
    Eli Ricks
    CB Alabama
    trade icon
  • PIT
    Nolan Smith
    EDGE Georgia
    trade icon
  • PIT
    Nehemiah Pritchett
    CB Auburn

• PIT
    PJ Mustipher
    DT Penn State
    trade icon
  • PIT
    Mohamed Ibrahim
    RB Minnesota

• PIT
    Bumper Pool
    LB Arkansas

• 2024 TB 1st
  • 2024 TB 3rd

Of note, Tampa took Myles Murphy with the pick. 

Edited by warfelg
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I still think ILB will be more prominent than you are doing in the draft.  It will be a big hole in the lineup after this season.  Unless you see a FA out there for them?

I see many FAs out there for them. Smith, Edmunds, Kyzier White, LVE, Pratt, Okereke. That’s not going into over the cap or tight teams with guys like David (TB), Davis (NO), Cunningham (Tenn), Thompson (Car). 

I would go after any of those 10 for ILB to create less draft needs and be able to put that pick resource into a position less likely to be a FA. My two that I’m watching are Pratt and Okereke. Hell at this pace of playing better I fear the team might convince themselves Bush is worth it. 

On 10/27/2022 at 12:02 PM, AFF said:

trade DJ now, get it over with.  Let Pickens be the #1 and let Simms get playing time when healthy. Austin is IR for the year IIRC.  Claypool will have to prove what he can do with the extra catches his way.  Get Freirmuth more involved or even Gentry who seems to get limited snaps.