'Building an Identity' Mock

Karnage84

#1 - Will Anderson, Edge, Alabama

An elite level talent, there's enough question marks about the QBs at the top of the draft to warrant selecting arguably the safest pick in the draft. Pairing him together with last year's #2 overall pick in Hutchinson gives the Lions an elite level of book end pass-rushers. Adding a player of Anderson's talent moves the defensive scheme to more of a 3-4, allowing Anderson and Hutchinson to utilize their skills in positions where they can excel. 

#14 - Trenton Simpson, ILB/Star, Clemson

Holmes does not seem to value LB highly, however a player like Simpson should buck the trend. An elite level athlete that can play multiple positions, be moved around (ILB, OLB, SS) and be a chess piece. 

#32 (2nd round) - Joey Porter Jr, CB, Penn State

Porter has prototypical size and skills as a press corner. We've seen Okudah begin to develop and become what we had hoped he would be when drafted at #3 overall. He is now paired with another Nittany Lion that should be a better fit for what the Lions want to do with their corners.

#64 - Siaki Ika, NT, Baylor

A monster of a man at 6'4, 358 lbs. Ika is a pure nose tackle that offers more in the pass-rush than you would expect. This move pushes McNeill outside as an End in the new 3-4. 

#100 - Cameron Ward, QB, Washington State

The Lions need to add talent to the QB room, either as a QBOTF or as a potential back up. Ward offers a lot of tools and has prototypical size. Because of his draft position, he'll be allowed the time to develop and not be forced into a starting role. 

#132 - Zak Zinter, OG, Michigan

The Lions need to continue to add to the offensive line. Vaitai's contract is one that we can look to move off of and we need to pair our young OL (Jackson, Sewell) with. 

#164 - Tavion Thomas, RB, Utah

Thomas has Derrick Henry-esque size at 6'2, 230 lbs. The Lions want to be a team that runs the ball and controls the clock. Swift has struggled with injuries and Jamaal is getting closer to 30. Thomas could develop as a potential replacement for either guy. 

The Lions are building an identity during a critical time in our division. Rodgers and the Packers are falling apart and he's likely to be retiring soon. Chicago seems to be struggling to get their young QB going. We nearly beat Minnesota and they've been looking to move off of Cousins for years. Creating a young and elite level defense gives us a foundation to build out for the future. We can ride Goff's arm for another, hope that Ward is a steal, trade for a veteran in need of a better supporting cast or draft our QBOTF in 2024. 

QB - Goff, Ward

LT - Decker

LG - Jackson

OC - Ragnow

RG - Zinter

RT - Sewell

WR - Chark

SWR - ARSB

WR - Williams

RB - Swift, Thomas

TE - ?

LOLB - Hutchinson

DE - McNeill

NT - Ika

DE - Paschal

ROLB - Anderson

ILB - Simpson

ILB - Rodriguez

CB - Okudah

CB - Porter

FS - Walker

SS - Joseph

9 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I would go for it, but I don't think there is any way Holmes goes for a LB in the first.

He's more of a hybrid LB/S/defensive weapon which is how I would spin it/sell it, if I'm Holmes. I can understand that most LB's tend to fall into the 2 down variety and get subbed for a DB on a pretty regular basis in today's game.

Having a guy that can play all 3 downs, doesn't have to come out in sub packages and can be moved into different positions without giving up the alignment does have value.

16 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

He's more of a hybrid LB/S/defensive weapon which is how I would spin it/sell it, if I'm Holmes. I can understand that most LB's tend to fall into the 2 down variety and get subbed for a DB on a pretty regular basis in today's game.

Having a guy that can play all 3 downs, doesn't have to come out in sub packages and can be moved into different positions without giving up the alignment does have value.

I get it, but those LB and S are the two positions I don't think Holmes will go for early on. Simpson being a guy who can play a hybrid role, a two for one if you will... I still don't think Holmes does it.

Just now, LionArkie said:

I get it, but those LB and S are the two positions I don't think Holmes will go for early on. Simpson being a guy who can play a hybrid role, a two for one if you will... I still don't think Holmes does it.

You're probably right. Which isn't great for us. 

Sign me up for this.  Cam Ward is the QB I'm starting to like most in the draft.  I think based on where you can get him he's he best value.

As for LB I think Sewell would actually be a better LB in a 3-4 and would fit that scheme pretty good.  I know you have Simpson playing sort of a hybrid but I think we need an actual LB that's good before we can start getting specialized players.

I was going to do a Mock with similar players.  I am all in on  Anderson with the first pick.  Like ALL THE WAY IN.  Safest pick and potential to be a super star.  Adding him and Hutch and letting those two hunt transforms the defense overnight.

I don't know where he grades out but Jake Moody would solve a lot of problems for the Lions.  Given the insanity our kicking game has caused over the last two years, I would have no problem using a draft pick to get him.  Way back when we gave up a 2d Round pick for Jason Hanson.  I am not sure I would go that high but we have to solve our PK issues.