The Official New Jersey Devils Thread v2.0 | Keefe it is

beekay414

5 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Why not just go all the way and do 10+ for him and Rossi?

I feel like Rossi may not be a Fitz guy. I'm not sure Fitz is wanting to get smaller. 

5 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

It seems like a very odd choice  given our roster. 

Why does Keefe get so much flack? Toronto sacrificed defense / goal tending so they can be top heavy and lean on their superstars .

The studs didn’t take over, nothing you can do there. I can’t fault him for that 

I think Keefe is pretty decently regarded for the most part in actual nhl circles. Handling Toronto is just such a rough job. I'd be pretty okay with Keefe

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I feel like Rossi may not be a Fitz guy. I'm not sure Fitz is wanting to get smaller. 

Talent's talent. Rossi is a hamster but he's a great one. Fitz better not just become obsessed with size because that's how you start making dumb moves like MacDermid. 

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Talent's talent. Rossi is a hamster but he's a great one. Fitz better not just become obsessed with size because that's how you start making dumb moves like MacDermid. 

I don't think he's obsessed, but I think there's concern that his core is already small. If he were starting out, I don't think he'd put off small guys. But Hughes, Bratt, Nico....they are already undersized and are the primary components of the team. Luke and Nemec are move based d-men.  The team struggles when playing teams that will dump it in. 

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Toronto should've moved players before the NMCs kicked in but they were stubborn.

Marner was awful. 

Goaltending market id think would be more robust this time.

Id have to think 

Boston

Vegas 

Nashville 

would have to make a decision on ‘their guy’ or would have to add to their roster by giving up one of them. 

Id pay the fee to get one of them. 10th pick has a lot of value. 

I would dangle Casey out there. Not that idt he’ll be good, but I think we have enough offensive defensemen .

Holtz and Mercer can be pieces. 

• Like 1

Just now, beekay414 said:

Really feel like Fitz is starting to feel the pressure and I hope like hell he doesn't make narrowminded moves as a result. He knows that this coach may be his last chance. 

This is the exact reason I shoot down people who are talking about just rolling Allen / KK again next year. Someone wrote an article about how the devils should avoid guys like Markstrom and Ullmark and should go after Stolarz, and I told him like, there are real life / real world components that may be in play here. If his job hinges on this goalie acquisition or this coaching acquisition....he's not rolling on these veteran bargain guys who have never carried a team. 

If Fitz misses, he may be cooked. I just can't see him putting his job on the line for a career backup in Stolarz despite how well he's played. 

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

I don't think he's obsessed, but I think there's concern that his core is already small. If he were starting out, I don't think he'd put off small guys. But Hughes, Bratt, Nico....they are already undersized and are the primary components of the team. Luke and Nemec are move based d-men.  The team struggles when playing teams that will dump it in. 

Yeah but there are 12 forwards and 6 defensemen on the ice. Swearing off acquiring another young smaller player just because your core group is small is narrowminded. It's his job to fill out the core with the right pieces but passing up on talented NHL players for the sake of size isn't him doing his job. Talent wins out in the end.

Feel like you can survive with play drivers on each line and filling them in with bigger bodies around them. I don't see the issue with having a great top 9 built to play with speed. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

This is the exact reason I shoot down people who are talking about just rolling Allen / KK again next year. Someone wrote an article about how the devils should avoid guys like Markstrom and Ullmark and should go after Stolarz, and I told him like, there are real life / real world components that may be in play here. If his job hinges on this goalie acquisition or this coaching acquisition....he's not rolling on these veteran bargain guys who have never carried a team. 

If Fitz misses, he may be cooked. I just can't see him putting his job on the line for a career backup in Stolarz despite how well he's played. 

One of Markstrom, Ullmark or Saros will be a Devil in 2024-25.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

Agreed. This team cannot be held back by goaltending another year, it can’t happen. 

The core is here and mostly locked up.

Jack

Nico

Timo

Bratt 

Dougie 

Luke 

Nemec 

The rest of the roster is and should be looked as supporting cast. 

We don’t need another core member for forwards or defense, we need good supporting cast members.

Lets make a significant offer with our excess of riches to land our goalie and give Fitz the job of filling in the other pieces rather than finding a goalie ( which can sink our season if not figured out)

Casey 

Holtz

Mercer

Bahl

Whatever combo needs to happen to get a top tier goalie. 

My main priorities this year is 

A goalie 

dumping Siegs 

and getting two defensive defensemen 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Agreed. This team cannot be held back by goaltending another year, it can’t happen. 

The core is here and mostly locked up.

Jack

Nico

Timo

Bratt 

Dougie 

Luke 

Nemec 

The rest of the roster is and should be looked as supporting cast. 

We don’t need another core member for forwards or defense, we need good supporting cast members.

Lets make a significant offer with our excess of riches to land our goalie and give Fitz the job of filling in the other pieces rather than finding a goalie ( which can sink our season if not figured out)

Casey 

Holtz

Mercer

Bahl

Whatever combo needs to happen to get a top tier goalie. 

My main priorities this year is 

A goalie 

dumping Siegs 

and getting two defensive defensemen 

So I don't think they'll dump Siegs. I think that they are going to see if he rebounds. Dougie is back next year and even this year, Siegs actually was quite good with Dougie before the torn pec  (just a limited sample), so I think they are going to pop them together again and hope that "fixes" siegs along with being healthy. I just don't know that the team wants to sell low every time a player has a down year. 

But I do wonder if Bahl could be moved. I know that some VGK fans have hinted that guys like Shea Theodore or McNabb could be available this year, and I'd be allllllllllllllll over that. He's not a defensive guy, but I'd keep an eye on someone like Chychrun as well. He apparently has made it known he isn't looking to re-sign in Ottawa and is almost certainly going to get moved. 

17 minutes ago, Forge said:

So I don't think they'll dump Siegs. I think that they are going to see if he rebounds. Dougie is back next year and even this year, Siegs actually was quite good with Dougie before the torn pec  (just a limited sample), so I think they are going to pop them together again and hope that "fixes" siegs along with being healthy. I just don't know that the team wants to sell low every time a player has a down year. 

But I do wonder if Bahl could be moved. I know that some VGK fans have hinted that guys like Shea Theodore or McNabb could be available this year, and I'd be allllllllllllllll over that. He's not a defensive guy, but I'd keep an eye on someone like Chychrun as well. He apparently has made it known he isn't looking to re-sign in Ottawa and is almost certainly going to get moved. 

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

We're not going to dump Siegs. He's going to rebound in a system that's not absolutely dog****. 

He seems someone that’s very upgradable. After his great season , wasn’t he just average last year? 

With 

Dougie 

Marino

Luke 

Nemec 

We need more of a physical preference. Bahl could be it , but he was bad this year. 

Siegs isn’t it, and if he’s not a higher end defensive guy anymore 🤷🏻‍♂️

Unless you guys want Smith back!

• beekay414 changed the title to The Official New Jersey Devils Thread v2.0 | Keefe it is