The Official New Jersey Devils Thread v2.0 | Keefe it is

beekay414

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Or you use those futures to go get assets. Trading for futures doesn't mean those futures will play for you. C'mon, man. It's simple. If you can't get X for Bratt straight up, but you trade him for futures that make sense for another team, you turn around and flip those assets. Trading for futures does not perpetuate an endless cycle of rebuilding lol. That's total bull****.

You think Fitz is going to make combo moves when we can't get him to make a single one? lol

Just now, Forge said:

You think Fitz is going to make combo moves when we can't get him to make a single one? lol

Because his train of thought is the same as yours. You're simply neutering yourself if you narrow your options due to personal beliefs or wants. Creative GMs are the ones that win, not ones waiting for the perfect scenarios that never come.

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Because his train of thought is the same as yours. You're simply neutering yourself if you narrow your options due to personal beliefs or wants. Creative GMs are the ones that win, not ones waiting for the perfect scenarios that never come.

I think you're massively underestimating how difficult it is to actually get trades to happen in the NHL. 

He literally waited like 6 months on that Marino deal. 

There are no creative NHL Gms. It's an old boys boomer club. 

Just now, Forge said:

I think you're massively underestimating how difficult it is to actually get trades to happen in the NHL. 

He literally waited like 6 months on that Marino deal. 

There are no creative NHL Gms. It's an old boys boomer club. 

And I think you're excusing it too freely. Again, the point is and always will be, you can't narrow your options in terms of team building and bettering the team. If the best course of action, in terms of value, is futures, you take the damn futures. What's the alternative? Bratt plays you the entire time in RFA talks and then walks anyways? Yep, sure glad we waited for that hockey trade to come to fruition and said **** the futures.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

And I think you're excusing it too freely. Again, the point is and always will be, you can't narrow your options in terms of team building and bettering the team. If the best course of action, in terms of value, is futures, you take the damn futures. What's the alternative? Bratt plays you the entire time in RFA talks and then walks anyways? Yep, sure glad we waited for that hockey trade to come to fruition and said **** the futures.

Trading Bratt for futures doesn't help anyone if you can't then trade those futures. If the contract negotiations break down, sure and he's not going to be signed long term, then sure, sell him off. That is what Minnesota did with Fiala. But the instinct right now shouldn't be "hey, we are competing  for a playoff spot hopefully, lets take one of our better players, move on from him and hope that we get better in 4 years, even though we likely won't" 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Trading Bratt for futures doesn't help anyone if you can't then trade those futures. If the contract negotiations break down, sure and he's not going to be signed long term, then sure, sell him off. That is what Minnesota did with Fiala. But the instinct right now shouldn't be "hey, we are competing  for a playoff spot hopefully, lets take one of our better players, move on from him and hope that we get better in 4 years, even though we likely won't" 

Well, the obvious disconnect with this entire exchange is that I don't want to pay Bratt what it's going to take to keep him from walking to UFA. So what's the trade off here? You give in to his demands and overpay him? We've seen it multiple times now where the talks have been contentious so the play is obvious that he's going to UFA to try to cash in. Writing's on the wall and the only way he doesn't is if we pay him more than he's worth.

I'll just ignore the part in quotes because that entire comment isn't worth talking about since neither of us can say whether or not those futures work out better than paying Bratt. 

Just now, beekay414 said:

Well, the obvious disconnect with this entire exchange is that I don't want to pay Bratt what it's going to take to keep him from walking to UFA. So what's the trade off here? You give in to his demands and overpay him? We've seen it multiple times now where the talks have been contentious so the play is obvious that he's going to UFA to try to cash in. Writing's on the wall and the only way he doesn't is if we pay him more than he's worth.

I'll just ignore the part in quotes because that entire comment isn't worth talking about since neither of us can say whether or not those futures work out better than paying Bratt. 

Hard to say because we don't know the ask from a money and term perspective. I will say unless he's asking for like 9 million, there shouldn't be a ton of reason not to get that done. The fiala deal is totally reasonable in this salary cap market. Fiala scores more goals, but Bratt drives play better. Fiala is probably worth the bigger deal (I'd rather pay a goal scorer), but you have to account for the year and cap inflation. 

It's even better if he only wants like 4-5, which is what I think he will want (4 years would let him hit the free agent market again at 29 for his last pay day). He wants 4 years, 7.9? I'm fine with that. 

• beekay414 changed the title to The Official New Jersey Devils Thread v2.0 | Keefe it is