The Official New Jersey Devils Thread v2.0 | Offseason

beekay414

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Hard to say because we don't know the ask from a money and term perspective. I will say unless he's asking for like 9 million, there shouldn't be a ton of reason not to get that done. The fiala deal is totally reasonable in this salary cap market. Fiala scores more goals, but Bratt drives play better. Fiala is probably worth the bigger deal (I'd rather pay a goal scorer), but you have to account for the year and cap inflation. 

It's even better if he only wants like 4-5, which is what I think he will want (4 years would let him hit the free agent market again at 29 for his last pay day). He wants 4 years, 7.9? I'm fine with that. 

Guess we'll find out this offseason. If it goes to arb again, send his *** out.

Just now, beekay414 said:

Guess we'll find out this offseason. If it goes to arb again, send his *** out.

Yeah, you don't let this go the Parise route. At that point you have to move him even for future and then just do what you can. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Also...bad look for Laf there...man. Like, I have this weird feeling that they are going to get Zacha'd by Laf. 

Which is INSANE considering how good Laf was in juniors. Definitely going to make me second guess QMJHL guys from now on.

• Like 1

Just now, beekay414 said:

Which is INSANE considering how good Laf was in juniors. Definitely going to make me second guess QMJHL guys from now on.

It's such a weird place to be, right? This isn't even a Kakko situation where his points are underwhelming but he's actually a pretty solid overall player. Kakko is actually useful sometimes when he's not scoring. But Laf is not. And it's one of those situations where I just don't know if they'll have the balls to just unload him now for like a reasonably high pick or not. Dach showed some life with Montreal, so that probably didn't help, but he has sort of fallen back to earth and really isn't showing anything special right now. 

But if someone offers the Rangers Pick 12 and a third round pick or something, do they have the balls to do it? I feel like maybe they should, but I don't think they will, and they'll keep him around for 6 years and then trade him for an Erik Haula quality player lol 

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Does he have 2 more years of RFA left or is next year's arb hearing the last year before UFA? 

Last year is it. So technically he can go to Arb  or take his QO and become a UFA after next year. 

So for me, he has until a little bit before the draft before I move him regardless of return. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Last year is it. So technically he can go to Arb  or take his QO and become a UFA after next year. 

So for me, he has until a little bit before the draft before I move him regardless of return. 

Agreed. You maximize the return by getting another team to believe they can negotiate with him like Fiala. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's such a weird place to be, right? This isn't even a Kakko situation where his points are underwhelming but he's actually a pretty solid overall player. Kakko is actually useful sometimes when he's not scoring. But Laf is not. And it's one of those situations where I just don't know if they'll have the balls to just unload him now for like a reasonably high pick or not. Dach showed some life with Montreal, so that probably didn't help, but he has sort of fallen back to earth and really isn't showing anything special right now. 

But if someone offers the Rangers Pick 12 and a third round pick or something, do they have the balls to do it? I feel like maybe they should, but I don't think they will, and they'll keep him around for 6 years and then trade him for an Erik Haula quality player lol 

If Gallant has his way, they might. That or they use him to go get a hockey trade like we want with Bratt. I'm sure they could use him for Chychrun.

• Like 1

It's kind of crazy to think about, but Jack is really only slightly better in terms of pace than he was last year. He still needs 7 points in the next 9 games to match last year. I have no doubt that he will hit that, but if he scores something like 12 points in those 9, he's "only" improved by 5 points this year over last (though more slanted toward goals than it was last year, which I think is big)

*edit*

i math bad. 

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's kind of crazy to think about, but Jack is really only slightly better in terms of pace than he was last year. He still needs 7 points in the next 9 games to match last year. I have no doubt that he will hit that, but if he scores something like 12 points in those 9, he's "only" improved by 5 points this year over last (though more slanted toward goals than it was last year, which I think is big)

*edit*

i math bad. 

Math I got was that he's at a 100.45 point pace this season after being at a 93.7 point pace last year. That's actually a pretty substantial difference IMO.

Kinda treat it like being a distance runner. In HS, I went from running a ~5:20 mile as a freshman to breaking sub 5 minutes as a junior. Only 20 seconds of time but that 20 seconds is incredibly difficult to obtain at that pace. 

• beekay414 changed the title to The Official New Jersey Devils Thread v2.0 | Offseason