The Official New Jersey Devils Thread v2.0 | Markstrom is a Devil

beekay414

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

As crazy as it sounds, if they had brought Smith back and said he was going to play 4th line wing, I'd have liked that a lot more than I like this. 

Me too. Versatility, good on the PK, everyone says he’s a smart guy, would help the younger guys more 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

Just sucks. We don't really get any cap advantage from him. Going to have to immediately pay him real money. 

But he likely comes in as a top 6 winger immediately so it's not that big of a deal. 

7 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Canes not expected to re-sign Martin Necas. Would you be in on him for a top 6 RW spot or should we be setting our sights higher?

I think wants to play center. His father has also apparently been vocal about him wanting play top line and top pp. I'd imagine he gets 7+ million a year on a long term deal and I think he'd end up playing the same role in Jersey that he did in Carolina. I think you'd have to flip Mercer for him realistically. 

I'd take a look at him, but I don't think we are a fit for what he wants

***** Edit*****

Contract projection on necas is 7.5 for 7 years

Right now we are sitting at 18.8 in cap space for next year. Assume 4.8 for Mercer based on Dobber projection. That leaves 14.

Less appropriate cap hit of acquired goalie. I'm not really sure what to go with here. I think 5-6 is pretty fair to say as that covers the main 3 goalies who make sense as targets (Ullmark, Saros, Markstrom). So 8-9 left.

I'd assume Hatakka is on a two way deal, as are Daws / Schmid, so not going to worry about that too much. I think Foote maybe gets a one way deal. I'm just going to round it to 1m. 7-8 left.

Assuming that they put Lazar in the middle on the 4th line. Not sure what they want to do with the 7th D man. Don't like using that for someone caught between NHL / AHL, so I'd rather re-sign Desimone for that role if we don't acquire a better player that pushes Bahl into that role. As Desimone is the cheapest option right now, I'll do that and just round up to 1M. That's 6-7 left to play with on a roster that would look something like this?

Bratt - Nico - Timo
???? - Jack - Mercer
Palat - Haula - Holtz
Foote - Lazar - Bastian
MacDermid

Siegs - Dougie
Luke - Marino
Bahl - Nemec
Desimone

Ullmark / Saros / Markstrom
Allen

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

If we wait all this time just to hire McLellan, Fitz should start working on his resume. 

Don't think we have to worry about it. He's out there doing the  interview thing which tells me he's not the preferred guy for Fitz. Otherwise Fitz would have signed him. 

It's Keefe and then Woodcroft in my opinion. I forgot where I saw it, but I'm positive reports were that Woodcroft's interview went extremely well. 

• beekay414 changed the title to The Official New Jersey Devils Thread v2.0 | Markstrom is a Devil