The Official New Jersey Devils Thread v2.0 | Markstrom is a Devil

beekay414

3 hours ago, Forge said:

I think Fitz just talks too much. I think in relation to the devils, they probably aren't discussed because Fitz has made it known that he's going, "big game hunting" and "promised" Keefe a goalie. 

I don't get why Gustavsson isn't talked about more either. Bad season last year, but the year before he was a .930. He's signed two years and its only like 3 million. I have no idea why John Gibson gets mentioned and he's like 6.4 for 3 more years and hasn't had a good season since like 2019. I'd definitely take a shot on Gustavsson before the likes of Gibson. 

Why would Markstrom be considered big game hunting but not Hill/Thompson? 

The last 4 years, Markstrom has one season above a .910 Save %

What screams big game hunting?

At least with Gustavson he’s had a limited sample size so we don’t know which of his last two years is an outlier . 

I just don’t like ‘the process’ . 

LIS before, with the assets we have to trade now, I’d make an offer a team like Vegas or Nashville couldn’t refuse . And I’d be happy with Ullmark 

1 hour ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Why would Markstrom be considered big game hunting but not Hill/Thompson? 

The last 4 years, Markstrom has one season above a .910 Save %

What screams big game hunting?

At least with Gustavson he’s had a limited sample size so we don’t know which of his last two years is an outlier . 

I just don’t like ‘the process’ . 

LIS before, with the assets we have to trade now, I’d make an offer a team like Vegas or Nashville couldn’t refuse . And I’d be happy with Ullmark 

Most people acknowledge that Hill / Thompson is more a product of the team around them than actual great goalie. Hill has also never played more than 35 games in the regular season. This was Thompson's first year playing 40+ games. Markstrom has multiple 60 game seasons which for some reason matters to Marty (maybe because he consistently did it and he thinks goalies are soft, I dunno lol). 

Since Vegas has come into the league, they turned 36 year old MAF into a vezina winner again, and then promptly traded him that off season. Hill went from .907 to .912. Thompson went from ECHL goalie in the devils farm system (yeah, he was in our farm system lol) to .912 NHL goalie. Lehner is really the only guy who didn't get better in Vegas, but to be fair, would have been hard to improve on his numbers at that point. 

Last year, Markstrom was a .905. Thompson was a .908. Markstrom saved 14 goals more than expected and Thompson saved 4.5 goals more than expected per moneypuck. Hill saved 6. In 48 games, Markstrom faced 302 high danger shots. Thompson faced 234 in only 2 fewer games at 5 on 5. He faced another 66 on the PK compared to Thompson's 43. 

Over the last 3 years, Hill and Thompson have combined to save 3 goals more than expected at 5 on 5 per natural stat trick. Markstrom has saved 14 goals more than expected all on his own and that's including the .892 season which was just a massively bad season. Pretty substantial outlier compared to the rest of his career since he became a 1b to be fair. 

Markstrom has been a little inconsistent but I think what makes him "big game hunting" is the perceived notion that he can carry a team at times. I don't think Thompson or Hill have that rep or standing. 

Overall, I think Markstrom is largely just an above average goalie. If you did consensus rankings, I think he's probably fall between 11-14. You can question the idea that acquiring an above average goalie is "big game hunting", but that's just the verbiage Fitz used and obviously we have been tied to Markstrom non stop since last deadline, so clearly he includes Markstrom in that group. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Most people acknowledge that Hill / Thompson is more a product of the team around them than actual great goalie. Hill has also never played more than 35 games in the regular season. This was Thompson's first year playing 40+ games. Markstrom has multiple 60 game seasons which for some reason matters to Marty (maybe because he consistently did it and he thinks goalies are soft, I dunno lol). 

Since Vegas has come into the league, they turned 36 year old MAF into a vezina winner again, and then promptly traded him that off season. Hill went from .907 to .912. Thompson went from ECHL goalie in the devils farm system (yeah, he was in our farm system lol) to .912 NHL goalie. Lehner is really the only guy who didn't get better in Vegas, but to be fair, would have been hard to improve on his numbers at that point. 

Last year, Markstrom was a .905. Thompson was a .908. Markstrom saved 14 goals more than expected and Thompson saved 4.5 goals more than expected per moneypuck. Hill saved 6. In 48 games, Markstrom faced 302 high danger shots. Thompson faced 234 in only 2 fewer games at 5 on 5. He faced another 66 on the PK compared to Thompson's 43. 

Over the last 3 years, Hill and Thompson have combined to save 3 goals more than expected at 5 on 5 per natural stat trick. Markstrom has saved 14 goals more than expected all on his own and that's including the .892 season which was just a massively bad season. Pretty substantial outlier compared to the rest of his career since he became a 1b to be fair. 

Markstrom has been a little inconsistent but I think what makes him "big game hunting" is the perceived notion that he can carry a team at times. I don't think Thompson or Hill have that rep or standing. 

Overall, I think Markstrom is largely just an above average goalie. If you did consensus rankings, I think he's probably fall between 11-14. You can question the idea that acquiring an above average goalie is "big game hunting", but that's just the verbiage Fitz used and obviously we have been tied to Markstrom non stop since last deadline, so clearly he includes Markstrom in that group. 

That makes it more palatable. I guess that’s the name of the game if you can’t get an elite guy. Get someone who can get hot and take over at times.

4 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

That makes it more palatable. I guess that’s the name of the game if you can’t get an elite guy. Get someone who can get hot and take over at times.

Markstrom is my preferred target out of the handful of guys who are realistically available. I like that he has 2 years left on the deal to give some of the system goalies more opportunity to progress. In 2 years, we may have an idea of whether any of them are a real thing. 

But that's because I assumed the cost would be reasonable. This **** that James is putting out? Nope. Hardest of passes. 

That kind of tweet worries me because I don't think it'd be shocking at all if the deal was already done and they were waiting for the finals to end to announce. Deals are seldom announced during the finals

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Everyone else stays the same. 

Rogalski is eternal

Horrid. Had a chance to completely reboot/retool the staff and we stay status quo minus the top dog. Just piss poor management. I'm souring on Fitz the further we get along in this process. I thought we had an open minded GM but he's proving (or someone in the front office *cough Brodeur cough*) is proving to be just as stubborn as every other hockey ops department. Just can't get out of their own way. Rogalski is ****. Every goalie has failed under him. 

• beekay414 changed the title to The Official New Jersey Devils Thread v2.0 | Markstrom is a Devil