The Official New Jersey Devils Thread v2.0 | Markstrom is a Devil

beekay414

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I don't have high hopes, to be honest. Like, still nothing in that regard 2 months after he could have signed....after having all year to discuss it again. 

If this team wants to lock up Mercer long term, and it's going to cost like 7 or 7.5, I don't know how you keep Bratt anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't have high hopes, to be honest. Like, still nothing in that regard 2 months after he could have signed....after having all year to discuss it again. 

If this team wants to lock up Mercer long term, and it's going to cost like 7 or 7.5, I don't know how you keep Bratt anyway. 

I'm interested to see how this all plays out. Both Jack and Timo drive play so it lessens the need for Bratt. You also hope that Holtz can play the top 6 soon. 

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

I'm interested to see how this all plays out. Both Jack and Timo drive play so it lessens the need for Bratt. You also hope that Holtz can play the top 6 soon. 

Bratt can also recoup some of the assets we lost. Hell, he may even get a better first round pick than the one we gave up this year. 

But this Timo thing is kind of like a solid restructuring of the core we already had. I don't know how well Timo ages (I have concerns), but for the immediate future, he's fine and having a core of Nico / Timo / Jack gives you a different sort of build / look (especially for playoff hockey). The concern about being too small is no longer applicable with that grouping. 

If Bratt wanted to get really froggy, he could do something like 4 years at 8 million and hit free agency at 29 and probably cash out on one more long term contract. Teams still give out 7 years for 29 year olds. His chances of making more money that way is actually better than just taking the one year deal and then the 7 year deal the following yea

Timo may not have that option heading into his age 27 season, so he's probably ready to just take the 8 year deal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Dude needs weight, but we may have done some good work here. I believe he sprouted up like crazy and grew quite a bit his last year leading up to the draft. Even his combine he was like two inches taller than expected if I remember right. 

• beekay414 changed the title to The Official New Jersey Devils Thread v2.0 | Markstrom is a Devil