The Official New Jersey Devils Thread v2.0 | Markstrom is a Devil, Pesce next?

beekay414

Just now, Forge said:

He's not getting canned during the season at this juncture. I see almost no shot at that happening. 

Well then we deserve what we get. He's ******* awful. A 9 game losing streak AT HOME should be enough to get him canned after the last 2 seasons.

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Well then we deserve what we get. He's ******* awful. A 9 game losing streak AT HOME should be enough to get him canned after the last 2 seasons.

Yeah, I think Fitzy is probably willing to just ride out this year regardless of what happens. But I don't think that Ruff is back behind the bench next year and I don't think it matters if we make the playoffs or not. 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah, I think Fitzy is probably willing to just ride out this year regardless of what happens. But I don't think that Ruff is back behind the bench next year and I don't think it matters if we make the playoffs or not. 

If Fitz just rides this season out, he should probably join Ruff on the unemployment line.

6 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

If Fitz just rides this season out, he should probably join Ruff on the unemployment line.

I've been going back and forth on that. The team is on the right path, but it should make the playoffs. Like, look at this game. We are up 15-5 in shots with no power plays on either side...we've dominated the puck, but we gave up a super soft goal and we are trailing 1-0. That happens too  much, but the hope is that the process will yield superior results moving forward. 

Fitzy has made big moves and he's made quite a few quality moves. I'm glad he doesn't just have some knee jerk reactions, but I don't trust him to do the stuff that needs done, to be honest. Its frustrating. 

The Graves trade was good. The Siegs trade was good. He signed Dougie. The Blake Coleman trade was good. I don't love the Palat signing with regards to money and term, but i like the player. The Tatar deal is fine, and the zacha / haula trade is actually fine if you put Haula in the bottom six where he belongs. 

I think Fitz has mostly done a decent job in talent acquisition. We will see how the Nemec pick pans out...that's a pretty big gamble. 

I have to believe that this is just a young team that is struggling to win games that they should be winning and it's just a growth process. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

I've been going back and forth on that. The team is on the right path, but it should make the playoffs. Like, look at this game. We are up 15-5 in shots with no power plays on either side...we've dominated the puck, but we gave up a super soft goal and we are trailing 1-0. That happens too  much, but the hope is that the process will yield superior results moving forward. 

Fitzy has made big moves and he's made quite a few quality moves. I'm glad he doesn't just have some knee jerk reactions, but I don't trust him to do the stuff that needs done, to be honest. Its frustrating. 

The Graves trade was good. The Siegs trade was good. He signed Dougie. The Blake Coleman trade was good. I don't love the Palat signing with regards to money and term, but i like the player. The Tatar deal is fine, and the zacha / haula trade is actually fine if you put Haula in the bottom six where he belongs. 

I think Fitz has mostly done a decent job in talent acquisition. We will see how the Nemec pick pans out...that's a pretty big gamble. 

I have to believe that this is just a young team that is struggling to win games that they should be winning and it's just a growth process. 

Thing is, this is a year-to-year problem at this rate and the one constant has been Lindy Ruff. I love Fitzy for what he's done but I HATE his inaction when action is needed. Whether that be firing a coach that should've long been fired, or making more than a stopgap move to address a positional weakness. You don't build up the prospect capital that we have and then just sit on your hands. I'm not saying trade Luke Hughes but there's no reason you can't cut some fat off and try to win now. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't know what the power play construction is when you have a 5 on 3 and have Holtz set up below the net. That doesn't make sense to me. 

Galaxy brain coaching decisions because they're desperate. 

It's kinda insane to me that losing Nathan Bastian completely screwed this team up. Dead serious, when he got hurt, everything went to hell.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

18-3-0 with Nathan Bastian
6-9-3 without Nathan Bastian

I remember thinking how people were making a big deal over nothing when we lost him in the expansion draft. He's legit just a bottom 6 power forward. 

They may have been on to something, but I'm not going to lie...I don't understand why he is so damn valuable to this team lol 

Just now, Forge said:

I remember thinking how people were making a big deal over nothing when we lost him in the expansion draft. He's legit just a bottom 6 power forward. 

They may have been on to something, but I'm not going to lie...I don't understand why he is so damn valuable to this team lol 

His motor doesn't stop, I guess, and coaches can lean on him in defensive moments. It's undeniable who drove that BMW line now. So, devilsblood or whoever the hell it was that said Wood drove it can eat a massive helping of crow since Wood's been worthless since Bastian went down.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

But I'm with you @Forge, I never would've thought that I'd be longing for Nathan Bastian to be back in the lineup.

It makes me wonder why we haven't at least given Foote a real shot on in his role. I get that Foote has never been a traditional "power forward" in the way that Bastian has been coming up, but he's a big dude, can throw his body around and can certainly park in front of the net. 

• beekay414 changed the title to The Official New Jersey Devils Thread v2.0 | Markstrom is a Devil, Pesce next?