The Official New Jersey Devils Thread v2.0 | Markstrom is a Devil, Pesce next?

beekay414

40 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

What do you think of not wanting to surpass Jack?

i understand it, but I’m sure Jack understood when he signed it thst he could easily surpass that with his play. He took the money early before ‘proving it ‘

I think it's dumb, but I also think that there's no way it can be true (within reason). 

Like, contract situations are vastly different. An 8 year deal for jack bought out only 4 UFA years, and it's not like he took a discount...we knew it would be a good contract ultimately, but at the time that was kind of a crazy shot we took. But the 4 additional years would have all been cost controlled RFA years. 

With Bratt and Timo, if you give them 8 years, you're buying out 7 free agent years. It shouldn't operate the same as Jack's contract. 

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think it's dumb, but I also think that there's no way it can be true (within reason). 

Like, contract situations are vastly different. An 8 year deal for jack bought out only 4 UFA years, and it's not like he took a discount...we knew it would be a good contract ultimately, but at the time that was kind of a crazy shot we took. But the 4 additional years would have all been cost controlled RFA years. 

With Bratt and Timo, if you give them 8 years, you're buying out 7 free agent years. It shouldn't operate the same as Jack's contract. 

Why are you worried about Timo aging more? Don’t you want the bigger body to withstand the punishment ?

10 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

cant believe we’re getting something for his rights. 

Not just his rights, Columbus fully locked him up. That's why we got a third

8 years is kind of crazy, but I'm happy for Damon. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Why are you worried about Timo aging more? Don’t you want the bigger body to withstand the punishment ?

He's a bigger guy and his skating is fine, but not great. As he gets older, if he loses a step, its basically going to neuter him. Guys that big who throw their body around don't tend to age well. But if he can get to age 31 or so, and that would cover most of the contract if we gave him 8 years. 

And he may still age well, I just don't expect it from guys like that. 

22 minutes ago, Forge said:

Not just his rights, Columbus fully locked him up. That's why we got a third

8 years is kind of crazy, but I'm happy for Damon. 

That contract is going to backfire pretty big time. Wonder who they pair him with but I'm happy to get that 3rd back. 

• beekay414 changed the title to The Official New Jersey Devils Thread v2.0 | Markstrom is a Devil, Pesce next?