The Official New Jersey Devils Thread v2.0 | Pesce and Dillon...so far

beekay414

Can you guys explain to me the urgency of getting another goaltender?

it seems like you have

the elite of the elite game changers. 

Then you have a large group of average guys who can get hot for a year or at the right time. Which sounds a lot like Vitek. What goalie on the market is significantly better ?

And im especially confused at Schmid playing in the AHL. Guy brought us back to win a playoff series , we trusted him in a game 7 where he had a shutout and we don’t trust him to be the 2nd goalie? 

I would like a competent 3rd especially with Daws out.  If we’re not upgrading from Vitek, then he and Schmid need to be the horses. 

2 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Can you guys explain to me the urgency of getting another goaltender?

Because they are fickle and we're lacking depth. Schmid, while having a really good run, isn't quite there yet and could benefit from more full-time work in Utica and we have no legitimate option in Utica right now. 

Simply put, we're a cup contending team right now and you've got to have a more solidified situation than Vanecek and Schmid. Schmid's our Gotf as it stands. We're going to slow play him and do our damnedest to avoid another Mackenzie Blackwood situation.

6 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Because they are fickle and we're lacking depth. Schmid, while having a really good run, isn't quite there yet and could benefit from more full-time work in Utica and we have no legitimate option in Utica right now. 

Simply put, we're a cup contending team right now and you've got to have a more solidified situation than Vanecek and Schmid. Schmid's our Gotf as it stands. We're going to slow play him and do our damnedest to avoid another Mackenzie Blackwood situation.

I understand the desire for depth. 

Are you saying you trust Vitek and/or some FA than Schmid as a number 2?

8 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Are you saying you trust Vitek and/or some FA than Schmid as a number 2?

I'm saying it's better for Schmid's development to get full time work in Utica with no real pressure than 30 games in New Jersey. Remember, including the playoffs, he's played 27 games at a high level. Goalies are fickle and going into the season counting on a 27 game sample size as your first option probably isn't wise. He's 23 years old. You're better off having him in Utica as the #1 than having him as your #2. 

I think we'd be fine with someone like David Rittich or Alex Lyon as our #2. I would even give Anthony Stolarz a shot.

Edited by beekay414

18 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I'm saying it's better for Schmid's development to get full time work in Utica with no real pressure than 30 games in New Jersey. Remember, including the playoffs, he's played 27 games at a high level. Goalies are fickle and going into the season counting on a 27 game sample size as your first option probably isn't wise. He's 23 years old. You're better off having him in Utica as the #1 than having him as your #2. 

I think we'd be fine with someone like David Rittich or Alex Lyon as our #2. I would even give Anthony Stolarz a shot.

Makes sense . Injuries happen as well. 

Colin Miller there’s the vet D guy! 1.85 cap hit 

Edited by Rainmaker90

1 minute ago, Forge said:

800k for Wheeler with the rangers. It's crazy how much of benefit they get

He's cooked but yeah I don't get it. MSG's ice is AWFUL but everyone wants to play in NY. However, their luck as a franchise won't change until they get a GM or VP that runs them like a hockey program and not a mercenary club. 

• beekay414 changed the title to The Official New Jersey Devils Thread v2.0 | Pesce and Dillon...so far