The Official New Jersey Devils Thread v2.0 | Markstrom is a Devil, Pesce next?

beekay414

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

Dawson Mercer is just having a brutal season. Everything he does this year is complete crap. 

Just a follow up on this...Mercer's offensive game has completely cratered. He's like terrified in the offensive zone. 

Mercer has 200 more minutes at 5 on 5 than Holtz. 200!!! Holtz still has more points (22 v 21), more primary assists, more shots (92 to 84). 

Mercer has substantially more high danger chances for, but not surprising given the difference in linemates. He's just not generating as much as he should given the minutes. 

11 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

4 goals on 13 shots lmao

Spencer Knight is struggling in the AHL and has a 4.5 Million dollar cap hit the next two years. 

Would you trade Tyler Toffoli to Florida for Knight? 

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

Spencer Knight is struggling in the AHL and has a 4.5 Million dollar cap hit the next two years. 

Would you trade Tyler Toffoli to Florida for Knight? 

I dunno. He's only facing like 25 shots a night down there and has a sub 90% sv%. 

Just now, beekay414 said:

I dunno. He's only facing like 25 shots a night down there and has a sub 90% sv%. 

It's really rough. 

He did have some minor success a couple of years ago when he was 21. He was actually a .909 guy in his first 30 starts in the league. But we have seen that before (Blackwood). 

The thing that trips me up is the money. 4.5 is a lot for a bad goalie if he can't get sorted 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's really rough. 

He did have some minor success a couple of years ago when he was 21. He was actually a .909 guy in his first 30 starts in the league. But we have seen that before (Blackwood). 

The thing that trips me up is the money. 4.5 is a lot for a bad goalie if he can't get sorted 

That's $8 Million between him and Vitek for piss poor goaltending next year lol. Too risky.

Just now, beekay414 said:

That's $8 Million between him and Vitek for piss poor goaltending next year lol. Too risky.

I would imagine that Vitek isn't back. I think they can move him fairly easily, especially without any sort of movement clause and his salary being less than his cap hit. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I would imagine that Vitek isn't back. I think they can move him fairly easily, especially without any sort of movement clause and his salary being less than his cap hit. 

Yeah but what's the cost gonna be or what bad contract do we take on for him? 

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Yeah but what's the cost gonna be or what bad contract do we take on for him? 

I don't think it's much. One year at 3.4 million. 

Toronto just had to trade back 13 spots in the draft (from 25 to 38 I think) to dump 2 years of Peter Mrazek at 3.8 after a season where he put up an .888 in Toronto. And then he got an extension at an even higher salary. We actually got positive value for Blackwood as an rfa signing for 2.4 after two miserble seasons. 

So I really don't think it would cost us a ton if much of anything, tbh. Especially with him only being owed 2.9 in real dollars as well. 

What's with our GMs and not wanting to fire their handpicked coaches? Not wanting to fire Hynes likely cost Shero his job and now Fitz is being insanely stubborn with Ruff in almost an identical scenario. It's ridiculous. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

What's with our GMs and not wanting to fire their handpicked coaches? Not wanting to fire Hynes likely cost Shero his job and now Fitz is being insanely stubborn with Ruff in almost an identical scenario. It's ridiculous. 

It sucks so much because the opportunity was right there last off season to promote Brunette and move Ruff upstairs in a legit executive capacity. 

The team really just got fortunate that a few people had career years last year. I don't know how much Lindy had to do with it. Guys were just getting older and growing into their talent better. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

It sucks so much because the opportunity was right there last off season to promote Brunette and move Ruff upstairs in a legit executive capacity. 

The team really just got fortunate that a few people had career years last year. I don't know how much Lindy had to do with it. Guys were just getting older and growing into their talent better. 

Was the obvious thing to do but we attached ourselves to the friggin' old man who had done nothing without Brunette prior. 

With Brunette
112 points, 2nd in Metro

Without Brunette
45 points, 7th in Metro (65 points per 82 pace)
63 points, 7th in Metro
64 points, 5th in Metro (86 points per 82 pace - pacing for 6th in Metro)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Was the obvious thing to do but we attached ourselves to the friggin' old man who had done nothing without Brunette prior. 

With Brunette
112 points, 2nd in Metro

Without Brunette
45 points, 7th in Metro (65 points per 82 pace)
63 points, 7th in Metro
64 points, 5th in Metro (86 points per 82 pace - pacing for 6th in Metro)

I legit even made a post about it on the main board of HFboards. That's how much of a real conversation it should have been for the Devils 

• Like 1

• beekay414 changed the title to The Official New Jersey Devils Thread v2.0 | Markstrom is a Devil, Pesce next?