The Official New Jersey Devils Thread v2.0 | Markstrom is a Devil, Pesce next?

beekay414

Call me crazy but I like the idea of Kampf (replaces McLeod), Minten (physical young prospect that we're missing), 1st (23rd pick) for Marino that was thrown out on the HF general board if we're signing Pesce.

No reason we couldn't then use 10 and/or 23 to go after a suitable LHD to replace Marino as well. 

Edited by beekay414

15 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Call me crazy but I like the idea of Kampf (replaces McLeod), Minten (physical young prospect that we're missing), 1st (23rd pick) for Marino that was thrown out on the HF general board if we're signing Pesce.

No reason we couldn't then use 10 and/or 23 to go after a suitable LHD to replace Marino as well. 

I'd do it

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

If it costs us Mercer and 10, I'm 100% out. Holtz and #10, I'm good with most likely. But we'd be hardpressed to retain Mercer if we land Necas. We'd have to trade Mercer for assets because the cap would be TIGHT after signing MN.

I think Mercer is getting the bridge treatment, I suspect he's coming in under 4 for the next two years. 

Unfortunately, this likely would take a bit out of what we can do defensively. I think Necas is looking for something in the 7s? 7.5? Would likely give us like 4 million or so to grab a lefty on D 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think Mercer is getting the bridge treatment, I suspect he's coming in under 4 for the next two years. 

Unfortunately, this likely would take a bit out of what we can do defensively. I think Necas is looking for something in the 7s? 7.5? Would likely give us like 4 million or so to grab a lefty on D 

If we get Mercer for $3.5-4 and Necas at $7-7.5 (so we'll say $11 Million to make it easy), we'd have $4.2 Million to fill 3 spots on the roster with Foote as a RFA. 

EDIT - Could be 2 active spots if we keep Hatakka up FWIW.

Edited by beekay414

7 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

If we get Mercer for $3.5-4 and Necas at $7-7.5 (so we'll say $11 Million to make it easy), we'd have $4.2 Million to fill 3 spots on the roster with Foote as a RFA. 

EDIT - Could be 2 active spots if we keep Hatakka up FWIW.

I think we need 2 forward spots and 1 defenseman. We can probably get by with 1 forward spot and just have a guy buried in the AHL that we bring up as the 13th F every now and again, but given that MacDermid is probably going to play like half the games at least, I'm not sure if we want to run a short group. Going to be a lot of 20+ minute games for out main guys when MacDermid is in there. 

The goalies aren't that big of a deal since they'll just be buried anyway, but we really don't have a lot of play room in terms of money. One big money add plus two very light depth pieces. When guys like Teddy Blueger are getting 2 million aav, doesn't give you a ton of wiggle room. Those things add up