The Official New Jersey Devils Thread v2.0 | Markstrom is a Devil, Pesce next?

beekay414

Marino and 10 for Theodore adds $800k to the cap
Pesce for 5.5 
Mercer for 3.5

Puts us around $5.5 Million to address the top 6 and whatever else.

Maybe you even pay a 3rd to someone to reroute Theodore to retain if you wanna get even more money for the top 6. 

Say you pay Chicago or another turd team a 3rd to take 25%, that gives us another $1.3 Million to play with.

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Shea Theodore

I think they are trying to clear the books, though I'm not sure. 

If it's nashville, I could see Lauzon + pick? Fitz has talked a ton about violence and stuff like that on the defensive side. Don't get much more violent than Lauzon. 2 x 2 left. 

Can't say I love the idea of committing to Siegs / Hughes at the top 4....was kind of hoping that was what they would add to, but clearly Fitz is more concerned about messing with the complexion of the team. 

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think they are trying to clear the books, though I'm not sure. 

If it's nashville, I could see Lauzon + pick? Fitz has talked a ton about violence and stuff like that on the defensive side. Don't get much more violent than Lauzon. 2 x 2 left. 

Can't say I love the idea of committing to Siegs / Hughes at the top 4....was kind of hoping that was what they would add to, but clearly Fitz is more concerned about messing with the complexion of the team. 

Vegas can use a friendly contract like Marino's tbh. They have Pietrangelo and Hanifin locked up for their #1 dmen. Marino slots in at #2 RHD for the next 3 years comfortably. They use #10 to clear Karlsson. Then they'd have $7 Million to fill 4 forward spots. 

Hanifin-Pietrangelo
McNabb-Marino
Hague-Whitecloud
Hutton

Edited by beekay414

I think my favorite thing about HF is that when we're actually playing hockey, our guys suck but when we're talking trading them and signing/trading for replacements, all of a sudden they're good or on par with whoever we're targeting lol. 

I'm not sure there's a world where John Marino is an even hockey player to Brett Pesce. I'll take Pesce, even at 30 years old, for 5x5.5 or 5x6 over Marino at 3x4.4 every day of the week. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

I think my favorite thing about HF is that when we're actually playing hockey, our guys suck but when we're talking trading them and signing/trading for replacements, all of a sudden they're good or on par with whoever we're targeting lol. 

I'm not sure there's a world where John Marino is an even hockey player to Brett Pesce. I'll take Pesce, even at 30 years old, for 5x5.5 or 5x6 over Marino at 3x4.4 every day of the week. 

I definitely think Pesce is better. More importantly, he's probably better suited for what Fitz wants and for making the team more defensively sound. 

That said,  I have some concerns. Pesce is 30, so the play he has given is likely not indicative of what he will give his next team. He's going to be considerably more expensive and I'm not sure that he's so much better than Marino to justify the increase. 

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

I definitely think Pesce is better. More importantly, he's probably better suited for what Fitz wants and for making the team more defensively sound. 

That said,  I have some concerns. Pesce is 30, so the play he has given is likely not indicative of what he will give his next team. He's going to be considerably more expensive and I'm not sure that he's so much better than Marino to justify the increase. 

I'm the opposite. I think he's miles better than Marino and it's going to end up being about a million more than what Marino makes currently. I think Pesce's impact is worth it. Especially in a more structured system and especially next to Luke Hughes. I think this has more to do with that kid's development than we're considering as well. That million dollars+ and a possible poorly aging contract in a rising cap is worth every penny if it taps into anything extra in Luke's developmental stratosphere. 

I just think that Pesce thinks the game at such a higher level than Marino does. 

I think, at worst, Pesce becomes an overpriced, but still playable and valuable 3rd pair, cerebral PKer as he ages.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

EP's blurb on Silayev...

Silayev's a giant defenceman with the skating ability to cover any area of the ice in the blink of an eye. His form is perfect, whether you look at his posture, the flexibility through his ankles, knees, and hips, or the overall output. With that explosive skating stride comes a vast defensive range and a willingness to activate into the play.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

This kid is 6'7" with explosive skating. I know it's one clip but I was NOT expecting him to be the one that he was lol. He looked like Bratt or Hughes for a second.

I was just about to post this article lol 

And yes, he's an insane skater for how big he is. 

Some people have questions on his ability to read the ice, I guess, but when you're that big, you'll do well in the "happy accidents" area lol 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

I was just about to post this article lol 

And yes, he's an insane skater for how big he is. 

Some people have questions on his ability to read the ice, I guess, but when you're that big, you'll do well in the "happy accidents" area lol 

He has the size and skating to recover so I don't think I'm overly worried about his ability to read the ice at 18. He was 17 and getting legit burn in the KHL. If he couldn't read the ice, he wouldn't be getting that burn. It's not like he was only getting 5 minutes a game. He was getting 15 minutes a night on the ice and that upped to almost 17 a night in the playoffs.

Edited by beekay414

Just now, beekay414 said:

He has the size and skating to recover so I don't think I'm overly worried about his ability to read the ice at 18. He was 17 and getting legit burn in the KHL. If he couldn't read the ice, he wouldn't be getting that burn. It's not like he was only getting 5 minutes a game. He was getting 15 minutes a night on the ice. 

yeah, that's the other thing...dude is kind of young for the class lol. April birthday, I think. 

Nobody has ever played in the KHL as much as he did as a 17 year old. 

Tarasenko played 38 games as a 17 year old and Anton Slepyshev played 39. 

Silayev played 63 lol.

Absolutely unheard of. Khl may not be as strong as it used to be, but thats still someting. 

• Like 1