The Official New Jersey Devils Thread v2.0 | Pesce, Dillon, Noesen and TOMAS TATAR!

beekay414

4 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Do we play our 4th liners as much as other teams? 

Dawson was great last night. Couple really good games in a row. I really hope we don’t trade him. 

I liked what I saw from the first two lines. 

Not sure, to be honest. I do feel like there are more games where someone like Mikey plays 16 minutes (which is absurd for a 4th line player) than your average team has, but that's purely guess work. 

I'm just going to do the Eastern Conference since that's our direct competition. Lines are based on dailyfaceoff.com. Stats are TOI/G

Boston
Tomas Nosek - 12:28
Nick Foligno - 12:28
Trent Frederic - 11:35

Buffalo
Kyle Okposo - 14:56
Tyson Jost - 14:00
Zemgus Girgensons - 12:38

Carolina
Paul Stastny - 12:28
Stefan Noesen - 11:57
Derek Stepan - 8:57

Columbus
Sean Kuraly - 14:39
Eric Robinson - 13:55
Mathieu Olivier - 11:36

Detroit
Oskar Sundqvist - 14:15
Adam Erne - 13:56 - no longer on team
Jonatan Berggren - 13:43
Pius Suter - 12:57
Filip Zadina - 12:49
Joe Veleno - 12:17

Wasn't sure exactly what their actual 4th line is since they've been without Fabbri and are currently without Raymond so I just listed the likely candidates.

Florida
Nick Cousins - 11:26
Colin White - 10:54
Ryan Lomberg - 10:22

Pretty sure this is their usual 4th line when not hampered by injuries.

Montreal
Yeah, they are a mess so it'll be impossible to put together 4th line TOI numbers.

NY Islanders
Casey Cizikas - 14:06
Simon Holmstrom - 11:01
Matt Martin - 10:44

Pretty sure this is their normal 4th line.

NY Rangers
Barclay Goodrow - 14:48
Julian Gauthier - 8:20
Jake Leschyshyn - 8:15

Sammy Blais was a main 4th liner but I believe he got traded back to STL. He was at 9:37.

Ottawa
Dylan Gambrell - 10:48
Parker Kelly - 10:17
Austin Watson - 10:09

Philadelphia
They are a mess and a half and I'm not even going to bother trying to figure this one out. It's a Torts team so 4th liners are probably playing on the top 6 lmao.

Pittsburgh
Brock McGinn - 13:10
Teddy Blueger - 12:50
Ryan Poehling - 10:57
Josh Archibald - 10:18

Their normal 4th line consists of 3 of these guys, I'm sure of that lol. Not sure if Poehling plays in Drew O'Connor's current spot typically or not or if that's usually Danton Heinen.

Tampa Bay
Vladislav Namestnikov - 11:50
Corey Perry - 11:46
Pierre-Edouard Bellemare - 11:10

Toronto
Alexander Kerfoot - 14:42
Noel Acciari - 14:22 - just joined the team
Zach Aston-Reese - 11:00

Washington
Lars Eller - 15:24
Garnet Hathaway - 12:08
Nicolas Aube-Kubel - 11:29
Aliaksei Protas - 10:53

Not sure what their actual 4th line is but I'm going to assume Eller's TOI is pumped up a bit due to injuries.

• Like 2

Chris Johnston said on his podcast that the Timo thing has gone quiet and has cooled off. 

Grier is going to push this and if he lands someone like Jarvis from the Canes, that would be an incredible get. I don't see that happening (especially from a team like the Canes, the organization I feel like is the least likely to give away a cost effective asset like Jarvis in this type of trade) but I think Grier will take this all the way to the deadline to try. 

If they don't trade him this deadline, I hope that they just re-sign him. Somehow not trading him now but trading him in the off season or at next season's deadline is an even worse move than re-signing him lol. If whatever they are being offered now isn't good enough to move him, that's not getting better next season. 

23 minutes ago, Forge said:

Chris Johnston said on his podcast that the Timo thing has gone quiet and has cooled off. 

Grier is going to push this and if he lands someone like Jarvis from the Canes, that would be an incredible get. I don't see that happening (especially from a team like the Canes, the organization I feel like is the least likely to give away a cost effective asset like Jarvis in this type of trade) but I think Grier will take this all the way to the deadline to try. 

If they don't trade him this deadline, I hope that they just re-sign him. Somehow not trading him now but trading him in the off season or at next season's deadline is an even worse move than re-signing him lol. If whatever they are being offered now isn't good enough to move him, that's not getting better next season. 

Sarcastic Season 9 GIF by The Office

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

The funny thing is that when you take out Timo, this trade market is sooooooooooooooooooo bad. Like, if they just sat tight at that point, I wouldn't blame them at all. 

Nah, I'd try to sure up my bottom 6 in that case. I'd go after Barbashev, JvR, Domi, Pool Party, etc. Would allow us to get Mercer in the top 6 where he belongs.

If San Jose won't trade Timo and Anaheim won't trade Henrique, even though I wasn't a fan of the proposal from Seravalli or whoever it was, I'd go after Crouse BUT Vejmelka has to come back in that deal as well. I do, however, want no part in Brock Boeser. We don't need an even higher paid Pavel Zacha.

Edited by beekay414

41 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Nah, I'd try to sure up my bottom 6 in that case. I'd go after Barbashev, JvR, Domi, Pool Party, etc. Would allow us to get Mercer in the top 6 where he belongs.

If San Jose won't trade Timo and Anaheim won't trade Henrique, even though I wasn't a fan of the proposal from Seravalli or whoever it was, I'd go after Crouse BUT Vejmelka has to come back in that deal as well. I do, however, want no part in Brock Boeser. We don't need an even higher paid Pavel Zacha.

In truth, Boeser would be the guy that I find most likely if they can reach an agreement on how much to retain. Supposedly Vancouver will do 1 million. If they will do like 1.5 or 2, I think Fitz would pull the trigger on that. He'd basically remove Tatar moving forward. 

The bottom six is tricky. Barbashev is the guy I'd most want, but the early reports are that he could get back a first, and I don't want to trade a first for a rental. The others shouldn't cost nearly that much though. JVR could help the powerplay in a decent way, I imagine. 

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

In truth, Boeser would be the guy that I find most likely if they can reach an agreement on how much to retain. Supposedly Vancouver will do 1 million. If they will do like 1.5 or 2, I think Fitz would pull the trigger on that. He'd basically remove Tatar moving forward. 

The bottom six is tricky. Barbashev is the guy I'd most want, but the early reports are that he could get back a first, and I don't want to trade a first for a rental. The others shouldn't cost nearly that much though. JVR could help the powerplay in a decent way, I imagine. 

Is Boeser compatible with Nico? Because he's not skating on pace with Jack.

Palat-Hischier-Boeser
Bratt-Hughes-Mercer

Is where we should be at if we made that move. I don't want Mercer down on the 3rd line anymore. He elevates his game when he's playing with top 6 caliber guys. I'd rather him be a more impactful guy than hoping he can carry lesser players for more roster balance.

Just now, beekay414 said:

Is Boeser compatible with Nico? Because he's not skating on pace with Jack.

Palat-Hischier-Boeser
Bratt-Hughes-Mercer

Is where we should be at if we made that move. I don't want Mercer down on the 3rd line anymore. He elevates his game when he's playing with top 6 caliber guys. I'd rather him be a more impactful guy than hoping he can carry lesser players for more roster balance.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Boeser ended up primarily on a line 3 role and just ate up some PP1 time. I suppose a Palat / nico / Boeser line could be cycle heavy? So that would make some sense? Boeser is pretty good out of the cycle.  I agree he's definitely not skating with Jack. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Boeser ended up primarily on a line 3 role and just ate up some PP1 time. I suppose a Palat / nico / Boeser line could be cycle heavy? So that would make some sense? Boeser is pretty good out of the cycle.  I agree he's definitely not skating with Jack. 

That doesn't help us that much if he's in a 3rd line role. I suppose if bumps someone down but those guys on the third line don't look out of place right now. Don't think I'd want to change that up. We need Boeser's shot in the top 6.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

That doesn't help us that much if he's in a 3rd line role. I suppose if bumps someone down but those guys on the third line don't look out of place right now. Don't think I'd want to change that up. We need Boeser's shot in the top 6.

Serious question - if we acquired Timo, would you break up Jack / Nico / Bratt into three separate lines? Like, I have been thinking about this, and I sort of don't hate it because Nico's line can exist without the rush and Bratt / Jack are puck possession transport hogs who drive play. 

Nico's line has been weirdly successful with guys like Nico / Tatar / Zetterlund. Or you can do what they did yesterday with Nico / Tatar / Mercer. 

Jack's line is successful no matter what because of Jack. We can put Rango on one side, Palat on the other if we want, or put Palat on one side and Zetterlund on the other. Jack drives the action there. You don't want Timo on a line with him because they will cannibalize each others shots. 

Bratt drives play on his own, and I think is the guy that I would most want with Timo because Bratt transports the puck and looks to pass first. You'd unfortunately have to stick them with Haula most likely, which sucks...but if Bratt can carry Goose and Zacha on a line and be successful with Zacha at center, I don't know why he couldn't make this work. If we want to get froggy, maybe long term we try to get Rango to be a center and put him in the middle of this line moving forward. 

And then you can just have those three lines basically run 18 minutes a night each and give the 4th line something like 8 minutes? 

So lets say: 

Tatar - Nico - Mercer

Palat - Jack - Zetterlund

Bratt - Haula - Timo

Rango - Mikey - Bastian 

• beekay414 changed the title to The Official New Jersey Devils Thread v2.0 | Pesce, Dillon, Noesen and TOMAS TATAR!