The Official New Jersey Devils Thread v2.0 | Pesce, Dillon, Noesen and TOMAS TATAR!

beekay414

22 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

That makes sense, I just didn’t like seeing him under Lazar lol. 

Good thought , he didn’t seem too concerned . 

If Miller can play, idt they need to go after Zadorov. 

I think we should save our cap room and assets just in case we need a goalie. 

Zadorov can play both sides, but is actually a lefty. If Miller actually gets a chance to take over at righty, it's not out of the realm that it's actually bahl that Z would replace. Bahl has been super up and down this year and has less than a 40% goal share when he's on the ice. 

He's due for some positive regression though, but I think there's a reason we are supposedly interested in Z, and I don't think it's just Smith

32 minutes ago, Forge said:

Zadorov can play both sides, but is actually a lefty. If Miller actually gets a chance to take over at righty, it's not out of the realm that it's actually bahl that Z would replace. Bahl has been super up and down this year and has less than a 40% goal share when he's on the ice. 

He's due for some positive regression though, but I think there's a reason we are supposedly interested in Z, and I don't think it's just Smith

I’m not against the player,  I just don’t think it’s great asset management . 

7 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I’m not against the player,  I just don’t think it’s great asset management . 

The defense is bad right now and you typically can't fix goaltending in season. Usually when you have successful in season goalie moves, it's guys who actually aren't proven assets or have been career backups who massively outplay their expectations.  This kind of move wouldn't likely impact that anyway. Usually you have more of a ryan miller situation when acquiring a goalie in season, though there have been some successful pulls in season (Robyn Lehner a couple of years ago did well before completely imploding). 

Adding to the defense is the next best option. Don't be surprised if this team is just rolling Schmid / VV all year. 

I'm looking around the league, and I just don't know where the fix is in goal. 

Blackwood / Kahkonen in San Jose. The former is obviously not likely. 

Jake Allen is a very dependable starter, but nearly 4 million with another year, I just don't know that Fitzy is buying that. Vladar has another year at over 2, but he kind of just sucks? 

The guy that I keep coming back to would be Vejmelka...he's talented enough where the extra year at sub 3M is probably a benefit rather than a hindrance. 

Montembeault is having a really nice season so far in Montreal, but historically he's been a dumpster fire. But maybe capitalize on him as a rental during a good season? As well as he's playing, he's a goalie with no successful history, so I imagine his cost wouldn't be too bad. 

Now that i think about it, that Montembeault move would make a ton of sense. Only 1M cap on the season which is less now, obviously. Really doesn't impact any other potential moves. Adding Monte + a defenseman is wholly doable. 

Kahkonen, Vladar, Allen...I'm not sure if they are worth the cost as i'm not really sure that any of them are actual improvements, but they would allow the team to have three goalies for the season. 

I really want us to build an offer for Askarov. 

I get that they are voodoo, but yeah, I'm willing to give up Seamus Casey, a pick and another prospect for Askarov and just take the chance that he's going to be great. 

Hell, throw in Holtz and get Trenin or Novak back or something. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Forge said:

The defense is bad right now and you typically can't fix goaltending in season. Usually when you have successful in season goalie moves, it's guys who actually aren't proven assets or have been career backups who massively outplay their expectations.  This kind of move wouldn't likely impact that anyway. Usually you have more of a ryan miller situation when acquiring a goalie in season, though there have been some successful pulls in season (Robyn Lehner a couple of years ago did well before completely imploding). 

Adding to the defense is the next best option. Don't be surprised if this team is just rolling Schmid / VV all year. 

The defense will be better with continued growth of Bahl and Hughes and hopefully more of Miller. 

Goalie wise, probably going to wait until the deadline to see the landscape of it all. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I really want us to build an offer for Askarov. 

I get that they are voodoo, but yeah, I'm willing to give up Seamus Casey, a pick and another prospect for Askarov and just take the chance that he's going to be great. 

Hell, throw in Holtz and get Trenin or Novak back or something. 

He’s one guy I was curious about, especially since everyone is saying Saros isn’t on the market. 

Edited by Rainmaker90

2 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

The defense will be better with continued growth of Bahl and Hughes and hopefully more of Miller. 

Goalie wise, probably going to wait until the deadline to see the landscape of it all. 

I don't think that this team is assuming the growth of Bahl at this juncture. He's only 23, so I don't expect that anyone thinks that his growth will be linear.  Certainly not to a degree that they would let it torpedo a season. There is a reason that even with Miller and Bahl they are looking at Zadorov ("one of the primary teams most interested" per Dreger).  Ultimately, I don't think that they'll get him mainly because I think he's going to cost too much. Too many teams interested. 

But I don't think Bahl is remotely safe. He doesn't do enough be crappy on his own end. But he has from now until they actually pull the trigger on a trade to get right, so there's hope that he'll turn it around. We saw him play really well down the stretch last year, which was encouraging, but he also sucked it up pretty bad earlier in the season. Inconsistency is just kind of his vibe right now (which is okay in a vacuum). 

Not that it's likely to matter if Nico never comes back 

10 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

He’s one guy I was curious about, especially since everyone is saying Saros isn’t on the market. 

Yeah, apparently they want to extend Saros after this year. If they give him the deal that the other premier goalies have gotten (Helle, Sorokin both recently extending), we can be reasonably sure that its going to be like a 7 year deal at 8.5 or something. 

At that point they should absolutely redistribute assets from Askarov to skaters. Having Saros and Askarov would be kind of crazy. 

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah, apparently they want to extend Saros after this year. If they give him the deal that the other premier goalies have gotten (Helle, Sorokin both recently extending), we can be reasonably sure that its going to be like a 7 year deal at 8.5 or something. 

At that point they should absolutely redistribute assets from Askarov to skaters. Having Saros and Askarov would be kind of crazy. 

Should've just taken him over Holtz tbqh

• Like 1