The Official New Jersey Devils Thread v2.0 | Pesce, Dillon, Noesen and TOMAS TATAR!

beekay414

25 minutes ago, Forge said:

The problem is that a guy like Jake Allen isn't a fix. He's an upgrade, but he's not solving the problem or driving the team to the cup finals. 

Needing a goalie has to be the second most brutal spot to be in all of sports behind needing a QB

Martin Brodeur sold his soul

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Forge said:

I suspect he won't be here by the end of the year. We have the look of sellers 

They’re not going to sell. Still in the playoff hunt, core pieces there meaning DPs aren’t as important. 

I hope they don’t trade for a goalie that compromises the future (Gibson ). I’d take a swing on Allen if it don’t work out it’s not a huge deal. 

The only major deal I’d explore is the goalie from Nashville. I’d move significant capital for him in the terms of draft picks and or prospects 

1 hour ago, Rainmaker90 said:

They’re not going to sell. Still in the playoff hunt, core pieces there meaning DPs aren’t as important. 

I hope they don’t trade for a goalie that compromises the future (Gibson ). I’d take a swing on Allen if it don’t work out it’s not a huge deal. 

The only major deal I’d explore is the goalie from Nashville. I’d move significant capital for him in the terms of draft picks and or prospects 

The future is already compromised because they don't have a goalie. I think the swing on Gibson makes way more sense than someone like Jake Allen (depending on cost). 

Long time between now and the deadline. If they are in this same spot at the deadline, which I believe they will, they should sell. Shouldn't be re-signing toffoli anyway

56 minutes ago, Forge said:

The future is already compromised because they don't have a goalie. I think the swing on Gibson makes way more sense than someone like Jake Allen (depending on cost). 

Long time between now and the deadline. If they are in this same spot at the deadline, which I believe they will, they should sell. Shouldn't be re-signing toffoli anyway

The future is not compromised. We have core players who are locked up with reasonable contracts and we have many assets . That allows for a lot of maneuverability . Once that goes away ( like if we swing and miss on a Gibson ) then we will be compromised . 

28 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

The future is not compromised. We have core players who are locked up with reasonable contracts and we have many assets . That allows for a lot of maneuverability . Once that goes away ( like if we swing and miss on a Gibson ) then we will be compromised . 

You have to actually make the move at some point. Having flexibility does nothing if you don't actually use it and top goalies typically don't get moved. 

At some point, you actually have to have a goalie. Crossing your fingers that one of these guys coming up works is not really a strategy. It's just hoping you get lucky 

Gibson has a very easy buy out if it swings and misses

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

You have to actually make the move at some point. Having flexibility does nothing if you don't actually use it and top goalies typically don't get moved. 

At some point, you actually have to have a goalie. Crossing your fingers that one of these guys coming up works is not really a strategy. It's just hoping you get lucky 

Gibson has a very easy buy out if it swings and misses

Absolutely. I wouldn’t make a high risk investment just thinking about this year. 

If Gibson has a buyout, sure. If they think he can make a significant difference, go for it. 

The standard shouldn’t just be if he’s better than Vitek

1 minute ago, Rainmaker90 said:

The standard shouldn’t just be if he’s better than Vitek

This is legit what we are talking about going after Jake Allen. If the thought is really bringing in Jake Allen, just finish out the season as is. 

Do I think Gibson solves anything? Probably not. Dude is five years from being an elite goalie...but at least he has that history. He was a true #1. He could be a game changer. So I get it. I didn't want to make that move for a long time, but I'm not sure what people are seeing as a long term fix here besides just getting fortunate. Maybe that happens, but I feel like maybe that's not the greatest battleplan either. 

Gibson definitely comes with risk, though not nearly as much as people like to say. I mean, you give him this year and next and if he's cooked, so be it. You weren't doing anything better anyway and more importantly, I don't know what superior option you are missing out on the next two years if you bring him in. Sauros doesn't seem to be moving and I'm not sure that you can sit on your hands and bide your time hoping that next year he is made available.  You buy Gibson out and its 2 million a year for 4 years. It's basically the cory schneider buy out that we are going through right now but the cap will be higher. But Gibson is only 30, the contract only runs through his age 33. And yeah, though I don't fully buy the "look how bad the team is" narrative, I will admit that they have been historically bad in front of him. Like, that's not really debatable. I just don't know if that is the reason that Gibson has been meh. 

Jake Allen is 33, under contract next year and is a platoon goalie. And that's fine...but not what this team needs. This team needs something legit. Trading for Allen is trading for Vitek all over again, tbh. He had a couple of really nice years a few years ago, then fell apart, got pulled for Binnington in the playoffs and then settled in as a platoon goalie for Montreal. 

In truth, the first action that should be taken is canning Ruff and seeing what they can do schematically on defense. I don't advocate for the awfulness that is Travis Greene taking over, but you've got what you have got. Maybe these guys can turn it around in a different scheme, but Vitek looks cooked. I mean, multiple times last night he was backward in net lol. multiple times!  LOL. Like, I don't even know how you do that. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Forge said:

This is legit what we are talking about going after Jake Allen. If the thought is really bringing in Jake Allen, just finish out the season as is. 

Do I think Gibson solves anything? Probably not. Dude is five years from being an elite goalie...but at least he has that history. He was a true #1. He could be a game changer. So I get it. I didn't want to make that move for a long time, but I'm not sure what people are seeing as a long term fix here besides just getting fortunate. Maybe that happens, but I feel like maybe that's not the greatest battleplan either. 

Gibson definitely comes with risk, though not nearly as much as people like to say. I mean, you give him this year and next and if he's cooked, so be it. You weren't doing anything better anyway and more importantly, I don't know what superior option you are missing out on the next two years if you bring him in. Sauros doesn't seem to be moving and I'm not sure that you can sit on your hands and bide your time hoping that next year he is made available.  You buy Gibson out and its 2 million a year for 4 years. It's basically the cory schneider buy out that we are going through right now but the cap will be higher. But Gibson is only 30, the contract only runs through his age 33. And yeah, though I don't fully buy the "look how bad the team is" narrative, I will admit that they have been historically bad in front of him. Like, that's not really debatable. I just don't know if that is the reason that Gibson has been meh. 

Jake Allen is 33, under contract next year and is a platoon goalie. And that's fine...but not what this team needs. This team needs something legit. Trading for Allen is trading for Vitek all over again, tbh. He had a couple of really nice years a few years ago, then fell apart, got pulled for Binnington in the playoffs and then settled in as a platoon goalie for Montreal. 

In truth, the first action that should be taken is canning Ruff and seeing what they can do schematically on defense. I don't advocate for the awfulness that is Travis Greene taking over, but you've got what you have got. Maybe these guys can turn it around in a different scheme, but Vitek looks cooked. I mean, multiple times last night he was backward in net lol. multiple times!  LOL. Like, I don't even know how you do that. 

I agree. I’m more or less saying I don’t want to be tied to said goalie going into next year if they don’t workout. I don’t want to make a decision out of desperation that compromises our maneuverability and probably isn’t going to be the difference maker we need. 

Vitek 

low danger 

medium 

high

Total: .883

Schmid

low

medium

high

Total: .893

Gibson

Low 

medium 

High 

total : .906

Allen

Low 

medium

High 

total: .904

My interpretation is that Gibson and especially Allen are facing much more medium/high danger chances. Their medium/high dangerous save % is much higher than our goalies, and their low % is roughly the same and yet the total save % is closer than you’d expect