The Official New Jersey Devils Thread v2.0 | Pesce, Dillon, Noesen and TOMAS TATAR!

beekay414

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

I meant that in combination with the Canes getting Meier. I'd rather just pay up for Timo than let our main direct competitor get him and then have to give up a surplus of picks for a vastly inferior player just because he's on a contract with term.

Yeah, if that's all it took, we should beat it 100% 

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

We can beat that with ease tbh. If Fitzy is scared of doing it because other teams are willing to pay for him without an extension, then Fitzy needs to sack up.

Honestly, I don't get the need from Fitzy to have the extension done right away. My guess is that he has a very, very specific number for both he and Bratt and doesn't want to take the chance that Timo won't take it...but you have to feel really good about Timo being willing to extend with the Devils based on Siegs and Nico being there. So getting the extension really shouldn't be that big of a concern. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Honestly, I don't get the need from Fitzy to have the extension done right away. My guess is that he has a very, very specific number for both he and Bratt and doesn't want to take the chance that Timo won't take it...but you have to feel really good about Timo being willing to extend with the Devils based on Siegs and Nico being there. So getting the extension really shouldn't be that big of a concern. 

If it's true that they don't want to offer more than what Jack's making, yeah, I'm not confident and it better not be true. Jack signed his deal before he took off. Jesper and Timo are established NHLers at this point so there's zero chance they're going to settle for that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

If it's true that they don't want to offer more than what Jack's making, yeah, I'm not confident and it better not be true. Jack signed his deal before he took off. Jesper and Timo are established NHLers at this point so there's zero chance they're going to settle for that.

I don't think that it's a hard cap, but it wouldn't surprise me if Fitz is trying to make these guys shed just a little money off the top. Getting Timo and Bratt to leave 750K each on the table (take 8.25 instead of 9, for example) pays for a guy like Mikey next year, tbh. So I definitely think that he's trying to sell them on taking under market...have no idea what the hard cap would be. 

It would be insane for that cap to be 8 given where the money is supposed to be heading in the coming years. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't think that it's a hard cap, but it wouldn't surprise me if Fitz is trying to make these guys shed just a little money off the top. Getting Timo and Bratt to leave 750K each on the table (take 8.25 instead of 9, for example) pays for a guy like Mikey next year, tbh. So I definitely think that he's trying to sell them on taking under market...have no idea what the hard cap would be. 

It would be insane for that cap to be 8 given where the money is supposed to be heading in the coming years. 

Feel like that's bad business. We have plenty of guys we can carry on the roster under ELC's or cheaper than paying for McLeod. You ask guys like McLeod to take lesser deals, not stars. It's not like the BMW line is playing well anymore anyways.

Just now, beekay414 said:

Feel like that's bad business. We have plenty of guys we can carry on the roster under ELC's or cheaper than paying for McLeod. You ask guys like McLeod to take lesser deals, not stars. It's not like the BMW line is playing well anymore anyways.

The cap gets a little froggy with regards to carrying both Bratt and Timo. I don't think they are going to run a bunch of guys like Clarke, Foote etc up all at once. But I think they can get some vets to come in at a discount on one year deals if we are actually good? LIke, I have no problem with bringing Tatar back at 2.25 for a year. He would look pretty good at that rate. There are too many open forward spots right now to know how that shakes out long term. 

There's a part of me that still wonders if Bratt is here long term. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

The cap gets a little froggy with regards to carrying both Bratt and Timo. I don't think they are going to run a bunch of guys like Clarke, Foote etc up all at once. But I think they can get some vets to come in at a discount on one year deals if we are actually good? LIke, I have no problem with bringing Tatar back at 2.25 for a year. He would look pretty good at that rate. There are too many open forward spots right now to know how that shakes out long term. 

There's a part of me that still wonders if Bratt is here long term. 

Other teams manage the cap with high end players making a ton of money, there's no reason we can't do the same. It's a matter of want to, not ability to do so. We have the prospect depth to pull it off.

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Other teams manage the cap with high end players making a ton of money, there's no reason we can't do the same. It's a matter of want to, not ability to do so. We have the prospect depth to pull it off.

Sure. Those bottom of the barrel guys have to work tough. If they don't, you get Edmonton (well, that's probably unfair...they also have massive defensive issues....but their depth is rough). If they do, you get Tampa. That's how Tampa managed to pull it off. They got pretty solid play from guys like Ruuta making nothing and then they shelled way out for good players on ridiculous contracts. 

Tampa has some built in advantages financially though compared to New Jersey, but that's the way to go about it. Get productive, but cheap guys, to fill out the bottom. 

Just now, Forge said:

Sure. Those bottom of the barrel guys have to work tough. If they don't, you get Edmonton (well, that's probably unfair...they also have massive defensive issues....but their depth is rough). If they do, you get Tampa. That's how Tampa managed to pull it off. They got pretty solid play from guys like Ruuta making nothing and then they shelled way out for good players on ridiculous contracts. 

Tampa has some built in advantages financially though compared to New Jersey, but that's the way to go about it. Get productive, but cheap guys, to fill out the bottom. 

Of course but we've got the depth and the draft and develop philosophy to pull it off.

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Really seems like it is Carolina versus NJ at this point. 

Athletic had Timo listed twice in their perfect trade deadline column: 

1676559509575.png

1676559488882.png

lol explain to me how they are getting him for far cheaper than us? We're not adding Casey for them to retain for 30 games.

• beekay414 changed the title to The Official New Jersey Devils Thread v2.0 | Pesce, Dillon, Noesen and TOMAS TATAR!